DIY Real Airport Card - Apple Broadcom BCM94321MC & Atheros AR9280 not working

markehh

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was attempting to follow this guide to put together a real airport card:

http://x86wifi.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/how-to-build-your-own-real-airport-card.html

It seemed fairly straightforward..... at first I bought an Atheros AR9280 AR5BHB92 which didn't work it just kept searching for networks over and over, one time I got a brief glimpse of my home wireless but it didn't last.

Reading around it seemed I might have purchased the wrong wireless card for Mountain Lion 64bit, fine so I bought a BCM94321MC Apple MacBook Pro Extreme Wireless Card like the article recommends. Exact same problem.

If they both don't work then it's likely the problem lies elsewhere, so I then tried connecting a large wireless antenna to both and I could find the network and connect to it sometimes.

So it seems the wireless card is underpowered, is that possible? My proper macbook has full signal right beside my hackintosh with barely any. The article mentions getting a 3.3v mini PCI-E to PCI-E adapter card, could that be what the problem is? The adapter I bought didn't mention any voltage.

Any help would be great, thanks.