1st hackintosh, advice for 4x sata itx board

AT0MAC

6 posts in this topic

I want to build a hackintosh with 4x sata ports + use a highpoint 620 pci-e adapter to reach total of 6 ports. Reason for that is that I have my eyes set on the new Fractal Design Node 304 case, which happen to have 6 drive bays :)

Problem is to find a suitable motherboard!

Questions:

1)

How important is a DSDT file and can Mountain Lion be installed without it?

2)

Would the ASRock B75M-ITX board work in Mountain Lion?

3)

Is there a DSDT file somewhere ready made for the B75M-ITX?

4)

If not, and if it's important, how do I make a DSDT file for it and is there anything specific I should be aware of?

B75M-ITX(m).jpg

1. It isn't important. ML can be installed without it. It is edited to allow devices to work that otherwise wouldn't or would require kext patching / additional kexts.

2. Should but expect to use a patched copy of appleintelcpupowwermanagement.

3. Doubtful but not necessary.

4. See part 5: http://www.insanelym...l=&fromsearch=1 it takes approximately 5 seconds.

Having said that if you don't know what a DSDT is and have no experience with any form of programming it's unlikely you'll be able to patch it in the instance that something doesn't work - thankfully there's tools out there which will help you and very good support on this forum for that.

1. It isn't important. ML can be installed without it. It is edited to allow devices to work that otherwise wouldn't or would require kext patching / additional kexts.

2. Should but expect to use a patched copy of appleintelcpupowwermanagement.

1)

The only two real crucial things I need to have working is network (

Realtek RTL8111E Gigabit Ethernet)

and graphics (Intel HD Graphics 3000 from a i3 2105), and I guess those two are already build in to the OS?

2)

What else would be nice to have working (im going to use it as file server under Mountain Lion Server)?

3)

What is the exact purpose of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext? I guess it has something to do with Intel speed step and sleep mode, but would I need that if it's a server that is always on?

Does AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext also run the sleep mode for hard drives or is that a separate already build in ready to go kext?

I do have a fair a knowledge of coding, so if it is a absolute must to build a DSDT then I will.

4)

I have found the OSX86Tool, does that one help build in the features normally found in the DSDT?

1. Not sure if ethernet support is native or not but the RTL81xx cards are very easy to get working.

Graphics will be native and *should* work. My laptop has HD3000 and works perfect with no issues but some people have no luck with it for some reason - I would be 99% confident it will work though.

Also make sure you get an ivy bridge i3 (2nd gen) not a sandy bridge one (1st gen).

2. A proper natively supported air-port extreme card would be a bonus so all networking features are enabled with no messing about but they tend to be expensive e.g. http://www.cclonline...daptor/NET1137/

3. There's a register in the BIOS that some manufactures lock - OSX needs to write to it for speed-stepping, if it can't it will call panic. NullCPUPowerManagement will stop this but will result in no speed-stepping or sleep. Short answer - no you wouldn't need it. Long answer: it would take minutes to find the version of appleintelcpupowermanagement you needand you'd have a better system for it. File servers use next to no processor power so speed-stepping would be a bonus instead of the core running at full speed all the time. Also think of it like this - no speed-stepping, no energy saving, high bills, especially if it's going to be permanently on.

4. I've always used this: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=223205 and have no experience of OXS86Tools.

1. Also make sure you get an ivy bridge i3 (2nd gen) not a sandy bridge one (1st gen).

3. There's a register in the BIOS that some manufactures lock - OSX needs to write to it for speed-stepping, if it can't it will call panic. NullCPUPowerManagement will stop this but will result in no speed-stepping or sleep. Short answer - no you wouldn't need it. Long answer: it would take minutes to find the version of appleintelcpupowermanagement you needand you'd have a better system for it. File servers use next to no processor power so speed-stepping would be a bonus instead of the core running at full speed all the time. Also think of it like this - no speed-stepping, no energy saving, high bills, especially if it's going to be permanently on.

1) Sandy Bridge is 2nd gen i3, Ivy Bridge is 3rd gen - so what do you mean, is it SB or IB I should look for?

2) A flashed BIOS would take care of the

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext problems right?