G73SW ML 10.8.2 Install

jeffc2009

398 posts in this topic

Ok.. I think I might know what is causing your issue. I managed to get audio to work in 10.8.2 using the Nov 5 files simply by deleting the kexts from S/L/E FIRST then putting the new ones in. For some reason, Kext Wizard seems not to 'cleanly' replace kexts - nor does copying over the existing ones, so deleting the ones that are replaced is the only clean way to do it. I never had this issue in SL or Lion, must be a Mountain Lion thing.

Try removing the 8 Nvidia kexts that you extract from the package, in their entirety, then put freshly extracted ones back in, repair permissions and reboot. My suspicion is that you have some kexts that haven't been replaced.....

Fingers Crossed :)

Going to try it in a second - just trying the Nov 7 files (I was still on Nov 5).

I noticed you haven't included the AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext but it's in the sep 3 files - should this be removed?

EDIT: Nov 7 fixes my FN + Volume keys... ! Thanks :)

I tried the VoodooHDA with the Chameleon Boot loader which was with as as well as the other kext, but it killed my FN Volume keys and I didn't get HDMI audo :( Normal audio worked though, which is a start - I couldn't get voodoo working at all! My trackpad stopped working as well, not sure if this was the Chameleon boot loader?

You will need to delete

AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext and any kext from previous kext. Sorry, but i didn't explain myself for applying voodoohda. If you want to use VoodooHDA, you must remove AppleHDA, IOAudioFamily. Install Chameleon, DONT restart. Install Voodoohda package, Don't restart. Use v

oodoohda v.2.7.4 with HDMI 2.zip and apply IOAudioFamily, AppleGraphicsPowerManagement (SMBios in E/E must be 8, 3) with kext wizard. Delete S/L/cache/Startup folder. update system-prelinked-kernel/system-caches. I am still testing it out, but I will have a new package if everything works out. So far I have 1 kp, but sleep is working and voodoohda setting is not saving when restarting.

Ok, I will give that a go.

Btw, the problem with the VoodooHDA settings not saving is well known. There is a settings loader app that is packaged with VoodooHDA that must be loaded when the user logs in. If this is done, you should find that settings are kept. There are some screenshots of it here: http://www.osx86.net..._installer.html

EDIT: Just found out that the installer you provided puts 'VoodooHdaSettingsLoader' in the Applications folder, so just add that to the user login items and it should work.

EDIT 2: Using this SSDT, my system runs cooler by about 10c. You may want to include that in your zip file :)http://www.4shared.c...NB/SSDTaml.html

EDIT 3: Hrm... Not sure what I'm doing here, but I have followed your instructions for VoodooHDA (Am doing this on an external USB drive incase I totally screw it up) and I am not having any luck. I see the 4 HDMI interfaces, but selecting No. 4 does not give me sound, I also have lost internal Mic (although it looks like the jack input is still listed). I get sound if I select 'Speaker (ATAPI)' but no HDMI. I also still have no trackpad... so it looks like Chameleon is breaking it :-/

You have to go into audio midi setup and select 4th hdmi and change format to 44,100, 48,000 or 96,000 Hz. Are you using everything in E/E & S/L/E within package? I am having alot of kp from voodoohda. I am going back to my old install without hdmi.

Ok, scrap voodooHDA for now. It's not worth the hassle if it's giving you that many kp's. I'll do the same as I'm not having much luck this end. Yes I am using all files you posted.

Glad you're pleased with it. I'm pretty pleased with mine too - thanks to you for getting most of this up and running! Any news on the keyboard back lighting? Have you managed to get clover booting?

I know you said to remove AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext, but I lose my battery icon and low battery warning... can you confirm that you still have yours displayed? The battery tab is still shown in the pref pane, but I can't tick the box to say Show Battery Status.

EDIT: Hrm... Now it's not working with it either.. what is going on with my install? :P

Ok, thought I would do a fresh install for the sake of argument. I followed all instructions and used the files provided in Nov 7 and I still have no battery icon. Is anyone else experiencing this?

That's the weird thing... it is rolled back. I am using the v.1.3.5 ACPI that was in the Sep 3 and the Nov 7 files, and that worked fine on 10.8.1. As far as I can tell, no one else is having this issue and they are using the same files. I thought it might be a conflict with some of the other kexts I use for HW Monitor, but removing them gets no battery icon. I have deleted all caches, repaired all permissions, I just cannot figure out what has happened here.

EDIT: Even using the version 1.5 ACPI roll back for Asus boards is not showing the battery icon. It's a weird one... the OS seems to know there is a battery there, but will not take a reading from it or display the icon.

Ok, I got it. Took a bit of playing around with diff files, but I now have USB 3, Battery, Audio, Sleep, Wake, Volume/Play/Pause Keys, Wifi, Ethernet etc. The only things that do not work as far as I can tell are the Backlit Keyboard and the Card Reader.

I need to confirm this with a completely fresh install, but I have uploaded files here: http://www.4shared.com/zip/yUcf5NAt/My_Files_for_1082__Nov_14_.html

I have used the DSDT from the Sep 3 files, because the one from Nov 7 kills my Blue USB port. I have also used a generic i7 Sandy Bridge SSDT (think I posted it a while back) because my system seems to run about 10c cooler than with my custom generated one (with no performance decrease!).

All credit goes to Jeff as it's mainly the stuff he posted, that I have just poked around with a bit.

Not sure at the moment - will check that and post later.

I have just noticed that the kexts I put together in the post above, kill audio after sleep - so I guess it's back to the drawing board :-/

Card Reader 5 -in-1 card reader ( SDXC/ MS/ MS Pro/ MS Duo/ MMC) (MUST INSTALL DRIVER, not a problem)

Realtek USB card reader

Dev id

VID 0BDA PID 0139

don't waste your time.. I never found a driver for it.. I hope I'm wrong!! but..

You beat me to it ;D Yeah, I didn't think there was a way to get the card reader working.

So it's just down to the back-lit keyboard and the HDMI out. I am going to admit defeat for now on the battery icon, I have spent a couple of hours tinkering, and I am stumped. 10.8.1 works, hopefully 10.8.3 will, maybe 10.8.2 just wasn't the one for me :P Well, if I want audio after sleep, that is :D I just can't understand why a fresh install using the Nov 7 files doesn't work for me... I must have some odd ball revision of this laptop lol.

hi ellnic, jeff ,

i am still on 10.8.1 because of many problems...did you have audio after sleep ? what about usb3 ? Which are the kexts that are devoted to have usb3 working ? If you have some usb peripherals connected both to usb2 & usb ports, have you got a message after resuming from sleep that the devices aren't disconnected safely ? It loses connection on usb ports when resumed to sleep with error messages here...there too?

Thanks!

mal

Mal, I'm having some issues with 10.8.2 as well so I'm probably not the best person to advise... my problems are loss of the battery icon and blue USB port (USB 3 - ie. it doesn't work at all - not with any device). If I get USB 3 and battery working, I lose audio after sleep :wallbash: I don't have loss of audio after sleep with the Nov 7 files though, nor USB devices being disconnected.