G73SW ML 10.8.2 Install

jeffc2009

398 posts in this topic

Install for M. Lion on G73SW:

1. Choose your install methods. There's plenty out on this site.

2. Restart, press "ESC", and choose to boot with USB you just created. When you get to chameleon boot screen choose "Mac OS X Base System" Make sure you choose GUID partition scheme in diskutil and format/name your drive "MLion". And follow the directions to finish OS X Install.

3. After you install, restart, press "ESC", and boot with the same USB. Once you see chameleon boot screen choose "MLion" or whatever you named it along with boot flag -x. Make sure to go through setup. Once your on desktop, Restart again, press "ESC" and Select MLion without any boot flags.

4. Make sure you are on Bios version Version 205.

Grab FakeSMC (HWSensors 64bit.pkg) from https://github.com/k...nsors/downloads

**make sure not to install FakeSMC from Dec 10.zip**

5. Use Enoch-rev.2137.pkg and Dec 10.zip

Enoch.tiff (main thing is to get the modules for HDMI audio to work.)

6. Open Terminal and paste to enable OpenCL:

sudo perl -pi -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

LuxMark to test ur OpenCL: http://www.luxrender....OSXIntel64.zip

GLViewer: http://www.realtech-...w/download.html

7. If you have SSD use TrimEnabler.

8. Update to 10.8.2, make sure to restore Dec 10.zip and re-enable Trim Enabler (if you have SSD) Before restarting.

9. Download 304.00.05f02 Web Release http://www.nvidia.co...f02-driver.html. Extract with Pacifist or unpkg. (8 Drivers need to be put into S/L/E with kextwizard)

10. Make sure to restart a couple time and plug in your HDMI cable.

11. Delete /Extra/modules folder.

12. Look in S/L/Displays/Overrides for DisplayVenderID-daf. If you have daf, overwrite with attached (instead of Built in > Asus G73SW LED FullHD).

The purpose of this thread is to try to get everything working as close to a real macbook pro 8, 2 or 8, 3 running Lion GM.

What's working: Speedstepper(thanks to oSxFr33k/ellnic)/ALC 269(patched AppleHDA plus IOAudioFamily)/Atheros 9285(DSDT Edit/uses native AirPortAtheros40.kext)/GTX 460(OpenCL patch above)/Webcam(camtwist)/Ethernet/Sleep and shutdown, HDMI video/Audio, (FN-vol up/vol down/mute), USB 3.0, Backlit keyboard after sleep, battery icon(thanks to Ellnic).

What's not working: SD Card

Use these kext's at your own risk!

Sorry Guys, I forgot to include my dsdt.aml in last few packages!! dsdt.aml.zip

Enoch.tiff

G73SW 10.6.8-10.7.2 AppleHDA.kext.zip

DisplayVendorID-daf.zip

Hi Jeff,

I can confirm that these kexts run better on my G73, than the Aug 20 ones. I used everything included and changed by bootloader from Chameleon 2051 to the Chimera you included. I cannot test USB 3 functionality, as I have no USB 3 devices, but I can confirm that USB Super-Speed is now shown in the profiler on the correct port (the blue one). My battery icon is also more stable (sometimes it would disappear) now it is here all the time :-)

Btw, you have the i7-2630QM, right? What did you change in the SSDT for this? My system seems to be running about 6c hotter when idling at x8.0 than before, and the MD5 sums of the SSDT I generated using Revo Girl's script and the one you provided here do not match... surely they would be the same for the same CPU?

Anyway, many thanks, keep up the great work!! :D

Ellnic.

EDIT: My cam is no longer grainy and laggy, either - NICE!!

Ellnic, glad you like the new install. SSDT was the one i got from your post on tonymac86 if i remember right. Right after I posted

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-hardware-discussion/70559-10-8-fresno-usb-3-0-drivers-need-testers.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-hardware-discussion/70384-hopefully-near-universal-usb-3-0-driver-3rd-part-controllers-10-8-x.html, I was banned from tonymac86. So, I am here for good.

Ellnic, glad you like the new install. SSDT was the one i got from your post on tonymac86 if i remember right.

http://www.tonymacx8...ers-10-8-x.html, I was banned from tonymac86. So, I am here for good.

Oh - how odd. It must be the kexts that are making it run hotter then. It's not a big deal, it's only 6c.

Yeah, I noticed you were banned from tonymacx86 :-/ How come that happened?

You have been banned for the following reason:

Blatant disregard of forum policies on Virtual Machine Installs on a non OS X host.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

VM installs on a non OS X host??? I don't think any of those machines on tonymac86/insanelymac is OS X host.. Go figure!!!

thanks jeff for the guide!

Does keyboard backlit work ? Is there any workaround to have it working ? Here it NEVER worked...just at startup, then keyb light off forever! Any news on sleep & ML ? i read someone succeded in that (in other forums/sites) solved installing newest drivers for nvidia graphic cards for osx and/or using sleep enabler universal.

EDIT1: i tried installing ML on my g73sw and everything is quite smooth, except i cannot have airport and audio working! It's really strange, but it doesn't work. I used the dsdt in the 3sept file and mine, and it is the same. No audio & wifi there. I tried sleepenabler universal and it panics the system (at startup). USB3 with fresco drivers don't work here (if i plug something in such port, nothing happens).

EDIT2: i have airport and audio working now...i did almost nothing and it began to work. I don't like this non-deterministic way of working. Now In ML everything seems fine, except usb3, sleep now but i have a strange behaviour in my lion partition now...still waiting for root device. dunno why...

Has anyone tried the 10.8.2 update yet? Wondering if this will either fix some issues with the G73 or break it even more....

Nope, not yet! I will try it soon and will let you know...perhaps Jeff is cooking a new set of kexts ready for 10.8.2... ;)

Mal

Well it doesn't cause any kernel panics... I just updated to 10.8.2. So far as I can tell, only 4 Kexts were changed:

IOGraphicsFamily.kext

IONDRVSupport.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

System.kext

The only thing is, I appear to have lost Audio. The AppleHDA.kext looks like the original one in the Sept.3.zip, so it must be something else. I tried this on a Carbon Copy Cloned OS, so it's no great deal.

IOPCIFam can cause audio issues i think

or AppleACPI rollback needed.

Hey LatinMcG, thanks for the heads up, the AppleACPI wasn't modified so it must be the IOPCIFamily.kext - i'll check that

The sleep issues are starting to get to me a bit, and I have glitches when waking from screensaver sometimes and the display sleep is a no go. Any ideas for these? I have an SSDT.aml which I used RevoGirl's script to generate, but it looks like Chimera generates it's own anyway. Also, in the Chimera log it states that:

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/dsdt.aml] 63584 bytes.

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/SSDT.aml] 911 bytes.

ACPI table not found: SSDT-1.aml

Could this be a problem because it is not looking for SSDT, but SSDT-1 for some reason?

EDIT: Rolling back the IOPCIFamily causes a panic. :-(

I just found a patch on Olarila for the G73SW DSDT. It clears up 8 warnings and adds a lot of code, but for some reason I cannot get it to save afterwards, it seems to compile with no errors or warnings, then saves an empty file. Here is the patch, maybe someone else will have better luck. http://olarila.com/Packs/Asus/G73SW.txt

likely its a bios rev issue.

look at the change logs of bios fixes at asus site.

u can probably break up the patch into sections..i can do it later today. ( going out right now)

in dsdt editor when u loading the patch . copy n save to new small sections. ( make sur eu save as plain text in format)

e.g rtc, hpet, and other stuff. then find the specific code that doesnt patch.

if u update bios first make a backup.. do it in DOS USB . unplug hdds if it finds the FAT EFI hiden in osx it might give problems flashing in windows. (if dual booting windows)

i have a full spi flasher in usb backup of a G73J with ati. not same but known issue of bios flashing gone bad and no usb recovery working.

SPI flasher

http://www.ebay.com/...T-/251157304161

method for recovery:

make backup.bin from usb flasher then dload bios from asus. open with hexeditor both files and find the same endign and beginign in backup.bin of the bios.bin from asus dload.

merge from dload to backup.bin (copy bios begining to end to the matching spots in the backup.bin)

save as fixed.bin and flsh in usb spi flasher.

done solder chip back and its booting.

I am on the latest BIOS revision (205) so I do not need to flash unless they release another update.

It looks like jeff already used the Olarila patch and that it was my error, because I can get it to patch if I extract a fresh DSDT using AIDA64. Bummer, I thought it might fix some things. But all it does it break audio. I know jeff applied a patch to his DSDT so it uses the Vanilla kext.

Wow, Clover looks amazing! I am assuming I can use this Asus to UEFI boot Clover instead of needing to use the BIOS boot. I have got the BIOS boot working so far, but then the screen goes black half way through verbose boot. With clover, am I meant to remove some of the kexts I use in S/L/E? The way I understand it is that Clover handles some of the interaction between the OS and BIOS? Ie. Less need for patched kexts, or am I wrong? I have just seen something that suggests that as long as you have FakeSMC in place, in theory nothing else may be needed to boot... is this true? Wow...

So I have been doing some reading, but a lot of this is way over my head. If Clover extracts a copy of the DSDT at boot and patches it, should I be removing the DSDT that I have? I have had varying degrees of success with Clover. Sometimes, the machine appears to get almost all the way through the boot process but then the screen goes black, so I read that in this case you must check the Fix Display box, if I do this, I then get a kernel panic saying that it is unable to find driver for this platform! Is this bootloader intended to be used with an entirely vanilla system with just the addition of FakeSMC? Also, I have read about problems with Aptio boards and UEFI booting. I can boot to a Shell using EFI, but not Clover. At the moment I am stuck on BIOS boot.

Has anyone been able to get Clover going on the G73? I would appreciate some help :P

• 2 weeks later...

i will second ellnic request!! I think Clover is one of the most innovative method nowadays...any update on G73SW & Clover (or 10.8.2/10.7.5)?

thanks!

mal

PS: Now in my system i have sleep working! I did not do anything at all! Just installed new nvidia drivers! Sleep&Wake began to work after a couple reboots...10.8.1 & G73SW

i will second ellnic request!! I think Clover is one of the most innovative method nowadays...any update on G73SW & Clover (or 10.8.2/10.7.5)?

thanks!

mal

PS: Now in my system i have sleep working! I did not do anything at all! Just installed new nvidia drivers! Sleep&Wake began to work after a couple reboots...10.8.1 & G73SW

Wow, I don't have this yet - can you link to the drivers you installed? Or do you mean the latest CUDA update via the prefpane?

hi, i just installed mac osx driver and cuda drivers from nvidia website and it just worked, after a couple reboots.... i am interested in get it working with such clover stuff...may you please give me some advices on how to get it working, if you did any progress? Jeff?? Any update on 10.8.2? I am sure you have it up and running fine!! ;)

thanks!

mal