General Help Requested for a Possible TonyMac Refugee

HazMatt

5 posts in this topic

So I'm basically still brand new to the Hackintosh scene and I'm still in research mode. I was inspired by the TonyMac 'CustoMac Pro' build and have modeled my "Mattintosh" after it. I read a few posts about this site's stance on TonyMac's policies and that, coupled with a bad first impression over there has me interested in alternatives.

I'm going for an inexpensive, powerful, full featured desktop OS X machine that will last me for many years. I value ease-of-use. I find using the command line tedious and not fulfilling. I'm not scared of it necessarily, but I'd rather be using a nicely designed interface. FileMaker is what I love, if any of you know what that is. :wub:

So, if the specs in my link (also below) are all workable and compatible, can anyone give me a general impression of what a non-TonyMac install would be like? Are there any tutorials / guidelines / videos? And if TonyMac is a bad word around here, I can certainly stop using it. :hammer:

Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout II (soon to be released)

PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX650

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH

Processor: Intel 3.5 GHz i7 3770K (Ivy Bridge)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB

Graphics: XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870 (or more likely, the built-in Intel HD 4000 if it works fine for my uses)

Boot Drive: OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 240 GB 6G SSD

Well I have decided to go with non-TonyMac Hackintosh methods. Rampage, I checked out your guide and it looks great! I also found some other guides including some on hacksbyalfa.

After a lot of reading on this site it looks like there is more than enough support for figuring things out, and it definitely seems like this place is more "open". By open, I mean that one can mention TonyMac and not get censored or flamed, but I searched for "myHack" on TonyMac's forum and, while there were plenty of search results, I couldn't access the thread at all, which lead me to believe that those posts were censored. And of course there are the allegations that TonyMac steals other peoples' work.

I've also decided to change my build a bit, but I'll wait to post questions for another thread later.

Now if I can just pass that OSx86 Part 2 quiz… I missed it by one question the last go around! :worried_anim:

I'll take your word for it, but I personally don't have a dog in this fight, nor would I really be able to sort fact from fiction on my own, anyway. All of my spare time is currently being devoted to my precious "Mattintosh", heh.

I am really just beginning to immerse myself in the Hackintosh scene. One week ago I thought all Hackintosh peeps were holding hands while brandishing their pirate swords against Apple's closed hardware policies! :pirate2: