• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
Trying to get support for Windows 8 on a Mac forum (including OSx86) is like trying to make friends in Wrigley Field wearing a White Sox cap. Good luck.

BTW - A workaround app has already been made to allow you to boot to classic desktop mode and bypass the UI formerly known as Metro. I'm sure that whatever Microsoft didn't choose to do that people really want, a third-party developer will quickly do. I suspect there will be other apps similar to this one which may improve on this.

http://www.howtogeek...rter-downloads/

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,319 posts
This app allows you to boot to classic desktop mode automatically, but it is still Windows 8. Where is the start menu?
So you can find a few utilities which can replicate the classic start menu: http://reviews.cnet....-windows-8-rtm/
And another one: http://www.stardock....roducts/start8/

Having said that Windows 8 has more bugs than I care to mention.

magnifico

magnifico

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 2,446 posts
I tried w8 on a ssd hd for me too many mental masturbation, and 'was created only for touch screens. I formatted after a few minutes ...
Lol

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
Try out start8 if you want the Win 8 version of the classic start button and menu. Here's a screenshot:

http://i1-win.softpe....jpg?1342557661

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
Just FYI, I installed Windows 8 RTM, believing I would use it on my work laptop so that I could get used to it. It worked fine for an hour or two. After that, I got some error about not being able to find the boot device. Thereafter, it would not boot up no matter what fixes I tried (Fix boot, Fix MbR, RebuildBCD, etc.) I ended up having to reinstall Win 7 from scratch and reinstall all my programs. I don't know for sure, but from my experience, Win 8 may not yet be ready for prime time.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,319 posts
As i said in my post above: more bugs than I care to mention.
As it is usual for Microsoft, it will take at least until SP1 before the OS is really ready.

Zanthros

Zanthros

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 23 posts
For years I have been a Beta tester for M$ as well as a certified partner and a technet retail member and during that time I have learned many important lessions. One of the most important lessions that I have learned is that just because somthing is new DOES NOT mean it is better. Only better is better! I told M$ that W8 was a horrible experience and that they should not attempt to make an OS similar to iOS and Android. IMHO the true creators that were inspiring the future of OSes have been replaced by market trend watchers and accountants.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,319 posts

Win 8 works great. I have it together with Lion and Mountain Lion, all in the same computer. Best of two worlds if you ask me. Win 8 is the best Win so far, works a little like os x. Everything just worked no BS with drivers and stuff it just worked.

Totally untrue. Even if Windows 8 was OK from every other point of view, most games which worked just fine in Windows 7, don't work in Windows 8. From simple open source games to complex modern games. So I don't understand how anybody could say "Everything just worked no BS with drivers and stuff it just worked."

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,991 posts

Totally untrue. Even if Windows 8 was OK from every other point of view, most games which worked just fine in Windows 7, don't work in Windows 8. From simple open source games to complex modern games. So I don't understand how anybody could say "Everything just worked no BS with drivers and stuff it just worked."

I can say I do not agree with the driver part as I never rely on Microsoft for my drivers... however as for games I have had 0 issues with any of my old games that people claim have issues. Mass Effect 2 had "issues" with 7 and major "issues" with 8 which I have seen none of for example. What games have you had issues with?

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,905 posts
I use it alongside OSX. In fact, inside OSX, since it runs 24/7 on a Parallels VM, for which i recently dedicated a spare 17" monitor i have, and i must say i agree with Rampage, and even more with starobrn1: it's the best Windows ever released, despite the fact the shrinking PC market will probably make it not so bright a success for Microsoft. About compatibility, one thing i found very good is the fact it mostly warns about, but let run, drivers and applications that lack compatibility for it - such as my good old VX3000 and the cheapo Ralink USB network adapter i have - and they mostly run fine. That's something i'd love Apple followed.

All the best.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,319 posts

What games have you had issues with?

A simple game: Extreme Tux Racer. An example of modern games: FIFA 12 or 13.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,991 posts

A simple game: Extreme Tux Racer. An example of modern games: FIFA 12 or 13.

I play FIFA and have had 0 issues. What happens? Perhaps I can recreate the issue?

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,319 posts
http://answers.micro...62-94ae01970878

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy