Hackintosh a dell optiplex gx240?

15 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever successfully hackintoshed this machine? I have the full size version with the bios a04 and I have tried everything but it wont even try to boot any of the hacked osx discs i have.

I was thinking possibly if I updated the bios to the newest A05 that it would work, the problem is Dell only offers a floppy version of the upgrade for this machine and I don't have floppies nor does this machine even have a floppy drive.

It is a pentium 4 2.2GHz sse2 with 512Mb of ram and on board video (currently)

I was really hoping to get some version of OSX on this machine because I don't have any use for a windows box!

-Eddie

• Like 1

Has anyone ever successfully hackintoshed this machine? I have the full size version with the bios a04 and I have tried everything but it wont even try to boot any of the hacked osx discs i have.

I was thinking possibly if I updated the bios to the newest A05 that it would work, the problem is Dell only offers a floppy version of the upgrade for this machine and I don't have floppies nor does this machine even have a floppy drive.

I was really hoping to get some version of OSX on this machine because I don't have any use for a windows box!

-Eddie

Not a 240, but a dimension 2400, and I only had limited success. They are pretty similar. Anyway, this is as far as I got.

Not a 240, but a dimension 2400, and I only had limited success. They are pretty similar. Anyway, this is as far as I got.

I looked at your post, the main problem that i have right now is that for some reason I cannot get IPC to boot, and all others (that boot) install fine but then wont boot after the install has completed.

I have a feeling that if I can get iPC to boot that it might work.

the main difference (in my opinion) between ipc and all others I have tried is just that ones like iatkos fore example, have completely different drivers then the ones listed on your post, and it doesnt have any kind of specific chipset drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

You will need two main thing to make it work: a patched kernel with SSE3 emulation (sinc OS X needs SSE3 and your CPU doesn't have that instructio set) and a chipset driver.

The questio is what chipset is and what other hardware you have.

You will need two main thing to make it work: a patched kernel with SSE3 emulation (sinc OS X needs SSE3 and your CPU doesn't have that instructio set) and a chipset driver.

The questio is what chipset is and what other hardware you have.

it is the brookdale chipset with a 2.2 ghz pentium 4

I have every sse2 compatible installer i could think of

iPC would not boot

most others booted but would install fine then never boot, it would stick EVERY TIME at "still waiting for root device"

IATKOS 5I

IATKOS V7

IATKOS S3 V2

IATKOS L2

kalyway 10.5.2

HAZZARD 10.6.1

HAZZARD 10.6.6

Jas 10.4.8

ideneb 1.4 10.5.6

iDeneb 1.5 10.5.7

Leo4all 10.5.2

it is the brookdale chipset with a 2.2 ghz pentium 4

I have every sse2 compatible installer i could think of

iPC would not boot

most others booted but would install fine then never boot, it would stick EVERY TIME at "still waiting for root device"

IATKOS 5I

IATKOS V7

IATKOS S3 V2

IATKOS L2

kalyway 10.5.2

HAZZARD 10.6.1

HAZZARD 10.6.6

Jas 10.4.8

ideneb 1.4 10.5.6

iDeneb 1.5 10.5.7

Leo4all 10.5.2

Microprocessor

Microprocessor type

Intel® Pentium® 4 microprocessor. Design provides for future Dell-supported upgrades. A slower compatibility speed can be set throughsystem setup

Level 1 (L1) cache

8-kilobyte (KB)

Level 2 (L2) cache

1.5–2.0* GHz processors: 256-KB pipelined-burst, eight-way set-associative, write-back static random-access memory (SRAM)

2.2–2.6 GHz processors: 512-KB SRAM

Math coprocessor

internal to microprocessor

Memory

Architecture

133-megahertz (MHz) synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM)

Dual in-line memory module (DIMM) sockets

two error-checking and correction (ECC) and non-ECC

DIMM capacities

64-, 128-, 256-, and 512-megabyte (MB)

Minimum random-access memory (RAM)

64 MB (128 MB when running Windows 2000 or Windows XP)

Maximum RAM

1 GB

Basic input/output system (BIOS) address

F8000h

Computer Information

Computer chip set

Intel 845

Data bus width

64 bits

Address bus width

32 bits

Direct memory access (DMA) channels

four

Interrupts

Computer BIOS

Desktop Management Interface (DMI) 2.0s- and system management BIOS 2.3-compliant BIOS in 4-megabit (Mb) flash chip

System bus speed

100 megahertz (MHz) clock, 400 MHz data rate

Network interface controller

integrated 3C920-based 10/100 3Com® Ethernet controller

Audio

Audio type

AC97, Sound Blaster emulation

Audio controller

Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec

Stereo conversion

16 bit (analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog)

Interfaces:

Internal

PCI bus/AC97

External

stereo line-in minijack, microphone-in minijack, line-out minijack on the rear input/output (I/O) panel; headphones minijack on the front panel <a name="1112548" style="color: rgb(0, 102, 204); text-decoration: none; font-family: arial, helvetica; ">

Expansion Bus

Bus types

PCI and AGP

Bus speed

PCI: 33 MHz

AGP: 66 MHz

Small form-factor computer

expansion-card connector

one PCI expansion slot; low-profile cards are supported (card size = 6.35 cm [2.5 inches] high by 16.76 cm [6.6 inches] long)

Small desktop computer

expansion-card connectors:

two PCI expansion slots (card size = 10.67 cm [4.2 inches] high by 17.65 cm [6.95 inches] long)

Small mini-tower computer

expansion-card connectors:

four PCI expansion slots (card sizes = three slots support cards up to 27.9 cm high [11 inches, and one slot supports a card up to 22.9 sm high [9 inches])

PCI expansion-card connector size

120 pins

PCI expansion-card connector data width (maximum)

32 bits

AGP expansion-card connectors

one

AGP expansion-card connector data width (maximum)

32 bits

AGP expansion-card connector size

172 pins

AGP bus protocols

4x modes at 1.5 V [/url]

This is what dell says the machine's specs are, I also have installed a NVidia geforce 2 mx 32mb

Everything else is the same as stock

This is the rest of what they say

Computer Information

Computer chip set

Intel 845

Data bus width

64 bits

Address bus width

32 bits

Direct memory access (DMA) channels

four

Interrupts

Computer BIOS

Desktop Management Interface (DMI) 2.0s- and system management BIOS 2.3-compliant BIOS in 4-megabit (Mb) flash chip

System bus speed

100 megahertz (MHz) clock, 400 MHz data rate

Network interface controller

integrated 3C920-based 10/100 3Com® Ethernet controller

Audio

Audio type

AC97, Sound Blaster emulation

Audio controller

Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec

Stereo conversion

16 bit (analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog)

Interfaces:

Internal

PCI bus/AC97

External

stereo line-in minijack, microphone-in minijack, line-out minijack on the rear input/output (I/O) panel; headphones minijack on the front panel

"Stil waiting..." error usually is a sign of missing disk controller driver (ICH2 in this case). You will need to use a proper driver. It can be a complte kext or just an enjector kext.

The fact that you've been able to install OS X, may indicate that a required driver is present on the installation disk, but is not installed during installation. You might have to select it in "Customize" section.

I can be wrong on that (need to check this), but graphics card may not work in OS X (no drivers), as well as LAN and sound cards.

"Stil waiting..." error usually is a sign of missing disk controller driver (ICH2 in this case). You will need to use a proper driver. It can be a complte kext or just an enjector kext.

The fact that you've been able to install OS X, may indicate that a required driver is present on the installation disk, but is not installed during installation. You might have to select it in "Customize" section.

I can be wrong on that (need to check this), but graphics card may not work in OS X (no drivers), as well as LAN and sound cards.

All I really care to do (for now) is just get it to the osx desktop, no matter how useable it really is.

this is just for fun.

I just cant find anyone who has done this machine before or any easy way to get past "still waiting"

If you could find me a driver that would work, or any just to try, and a brief summary of how to install it while booted on the disk that would be great

I just dont understand how you would figure out what driver to use because it doesn't go to "still waiting for root device" right away, it will on some installs, even boot and load files in verbose mode for 10-15 mins before it gets stuck with that error.

-Eddie

EDIT: if you could gather a list of what I should select in the drivers section (from what dell provides above) that would be even better

the only thing I really know that I am selecting right would be Voodoo 9.5.0 kernal

everything else is kind of a shot in the dark

My main other problem with selecting drivers is that every disk is different some with more/less or newer/older drivers. this makes it very difficult to be sure that i'm am selecting the right drivers most of the time

Each of these disks (refereed to as a "distro" meaning a patched/altered/modified OS X installation media) has a different set of kernels, drivers and/or modifications made (some are same, some are different). It is hard to tell which to select when not knowing what options are available in the particular disk.

The simplest way is to select as less drivers/patches as possible during installation, in order to get a basic working system, then install other stuff needed.

Knowing that your CPU doesn't have SSE3 and is not supported by original OS X kernel, you will need to select a patched kernel (you seem to know that already). Than you also gonna need a disk controller driver (for Intel ICH X). Other stuff might not be so important for now (except for the boot loader - OS X wont boot without it). If a PS/2 mouse/keyboard is used, select a PS/2 driver too (or you'll get non functional mouse and keyboard). Don't use a combination of PS/2 mouse and USB keyboard and vice versa only both USB or both PS/2 devices.

"Still waiting..." error can happen in two cases (generally speaking):

1. when you trying to boot from a distro DVD to actually install OS X
  2. when you have already successfully installed OS X, but it refuses to boot from hard drive

In the first case it may indicate that DVD drive is connected not as "Master" (which it should be) or other issues related to an optical drive and/or wrong BIOS settings.

In the second scenario a disk controller driver is missing. Therefore in each case act accordingly - check how optical drive is connected (and/or BIOS settings), or select a proper driver in "Customize" section when installing.

There many kinds and types of Intel disk controllers so the driver you need might not be present on these distro disk. If so, matters may become complicated. In such case one would need to insert a needed driver to installation media or install it to system (via Terminal app using distro disk to boot from and launch the above application).

You may also try to install OS X to an external USB HDD or USB pen drive (8GB or more) this usually is less difficult to accomplish. Also one can try to use an IDE HDD instead of SATA HDD. I remember that the first working OS X installation I've done, was to an USB HDD (a USB enclosure with IDE HDD inside). It was a bit slow, but working (what a joy it was!).

-Eddie

Hi, I think that machine can run with any 10.5x distro, I have an old dell optiplex GX260 and it is running with iPC 10.5.6 and I'm cheking right now how to update it to 10.5.8. You won't have the latest Apple OS, but at least with 10.5.8 you will be able to run most of the current software such as Google Chrome, Safari, iTunes in its latest version.

Each of these disks (refereed to as a "distro" meaning a patched/altered/modified OS X installation media) has a different set of kernels, drivers and/or modifications made (some are same, some are different). It is hard to tell which to select when not knowing what options are available in the particular disk.

The simplest way is to select as less drivers/patches as possible during installation, in order to get a basic working system, then install other stuff needed.

Knowing that your CPU doesn't have SSE3 and is not supported by original OS X kernel, you will need to select a patched kernel (you seem to know that already). Than you also gonna need a disk controller driver (for Intel ICH X). Other stuff might not be so important for now (except for the boot loader - OS X wont boot without it). If a PS/2 mouse/keyboard is used, select a PS/2 driver too (or you'll get non functional mouse and keyboard). Don't use a combination of PS/2 mouse and USB keyboard and vice versa only both USB or both PS/2 devices.

"Still waiting..." error can happen in two cases (generally speaking):

1. when you trying to boot from a distro DVD to actually install OS X
  2. when you have already successfully installed OS X, but it refuses to boot from hard drive

In the first case it may indicate that DVD drive is connected not as "Master" (which it should be) or other issues related to an optical drive and/or wrong BIOS settings.

In the second scenario a disk controller driver is missing. Therefore in each case act accordingly - check how optical drive is connected (and/or BIOS settings), or select a proper driver in "Customize" section when installing.

There many kinds and types of Intel disk controllers so the driver you need might not be present on these distro disk. If so, matters may become complicated. In such case one would need to insert a needed driver to installation media or install it to system (via Terminal app using distro disk to boot from and launch the above application).

You may also try to install OS X to an external USB HDD or USB pen drive (8GB or more) this usually is less difficult to accomplish. Also one can try to use an IDE HDD instead of SATA HDD. I remember that the first working OS X installation I've done, was to an USB HDD (a USB enclosure with IDE HDD inside). It was a bit slow, but working (what a joy it was!).

What I have done so far is tried ideneb 1.5, my problam with that is there are NO intel chipset drivers for some reason.

I will try others soon, for now, that acually sounds like a great ida trying to install via USB.

I will try that next!

UPDATE

I cannot figure out how to (if it is even possible) boot off of USB from dell's A04 bios.

Still trying

ANOTHER UPDATE

So much for the USB idea, this is what it said on A different forum

"You get a GX260 motherboard from Ebay and replace the Ram and use Bios A06 or Higher.

The GX240/260 motherboard and connectors are interchangeable both SFF and Desktop and Tower.

All the connections fit and the cpu fits and runs as well as the heatsink etc.

USB booting is not supported at all on the GX240."

DAMN!

So what now?

iDeneb gives me a different error it stops at now.

can anyone decrypt this?

jnl: unknown-dev: flushing fs disk buffer returned 0x5

It says this like 10 times then stops, I left it overnight and it stayed frozen.

Yet another very interesting update to this dell's reign of terror.

Aparrently the 80gb maxtor hdd I had installed doesnt like hfs acording to this forum.

so I have swapped it for a western digital drive and am now trying the install AGAIN.

About booting from USB... The motherboard I have (made ~2004) there is no option via boot menu to select USB device to boot from (unlike in most modern PSs whee one can select what device to boot via boot time menu by pressing ESC/Fx/Some key(s)). But it is still possible to boot from it. It is done via some non obvious manipulations with BIOS. In my case I need to do this:

1. With PS turned OFF plug in an USB device I intend to boot from
  2. Power on PC and go to BIOS settings
  3. Navigate to a section of BIOS which manages disks
  4. In the section I can chose what HDD would be used as a default HDD, so I chose the USB device instead of say one of other SATA disks connected to motherboard
  5. Save changes and reboot
  6. Upon reboot select USB HDD as the device to boot from (in boot menu)

Usually this works and PC boots from USB. Check this, you might be able to do the same.

About booting from USB... The motherboard I have (made ~2004) there is no option via boot menu to select USB device to boot from (unlike in most modern PSs whee one can select what device to boot via boot time menu by pressing ESC/Fx/Some key(s)). But it is still possible to boot from it. It is done via some non obvious manipulations with BIOS. In my case I need to do this:

1. With PS turned OFF plug in an USB device I intend to boot from
  2. Power on PC and go to BIOS settings
  3. Navigate to a section of BIOS which manages disks
  4. In the section I can chose what HDD would be used as a default HDD, so I chose the USB device instead of say one of other SATA disks connected to motherboard
  5. Save changes and reboot
  6. Upon reboot select USB HDD as the device to boot from (in boot menu)

Usually this works and PC boots from USB. Check this, you might be able to do the same.

Dell's bios will not allow this. It will only let you select ide or floppy disks.

• 3 weeks later...

I GOT HAZZARD 10.6.6 TO INSTALL AFTER UPDATING BIOS TO A05!

How did you manage to do that, I want to install 10.6 on my Optiplex GX260, that distro comes with the proper drivers for old motherboards such as GX260 and GX240 with chipset intel ?