Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook NP530U4B - Lion 10.7.3 Install Problem

gunsu69

3 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Have begun the task of installing Lion 10.7.3 on my new Sammy Series 5 Ultrabook. Have previously successfully intalled SL on Lenovo Y510 and Sammy Netbook N120 and have a great ASUS P5kVM unit as well. Thanks for family pack licences of SL! So I have some experience. Am following the ###### on Key method and while getting the ###### boot device selector get the following text when I select the USB key for install:

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,1)/System/Library/CoreServices/Syste.Version.plist 478 bytes.

Loading Darwin 10.7

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,1)/mach_kernel] 4096 bytes.

Read HES. file: [hd(0,1)/mach_kernel] 7949336 bytes.

Read HES. file: [hd(0,1)/DSDT.aml] 32827 bytes.

Using PCI-Root-UID value: 0

ATI Framebuffer Addr: @0xC0000000 MMIO Addr: @0xE0700000 I/O Port Addr: @0x00003000 ROM Addr: @0xFFFE0000

ATI card non-POSTed, reading Video BIOS from PCI ROM @0xfffe0000

Card reported ports: 68

Framebuffer set to:=R

At this point it stops either dead or with strange graphic artifacts like half a white screen. So I cant even get to the install stage. I figured the problem may be that the Series 5 has dual graphics cards: HD3000 and a Radeon 7550M. I've tried the GraphicsEnabler=No flag on boot but no use. Also used PCIRootUID=0 and PCIRoot=1 also no use. Have also tried extracting/creating a DSDT.aml using DSDTEditor-Linux-Mac-Win which makes no difference (pictured and used above but same error message without it). UEFI is switched off. The Sammy BIOS doesnt allow me to turn off the Radeon.

Any suggestions from anyone? DSDT.aml & dsl attached (also, happy to start/contribute to an install guide on the Samsung Series 5 if we can get it going!)

Other machine specs:

Summary

CPU

Intel Core i5 @ 1.60GHz 50 °C

Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM

7.89 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. 530U3BI/530U4BI/530U4BH (CPU) 50 °C

Graphics

Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)

AMD Radeon HD 7550M

Intel® HD Graphics Family

Hard Drives

488GB Seagate ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB (SATA) 36 °C

15.6GB SanDisk iSSD P4 16GB (SATA-SSD)

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208AB

MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

CPU is Intel® Core i5-2467M CPU @ 1.60GHz

Chipset stuff:

Chipset Vendor Intel

Chipset Model Sandy Bridge

Chipset Revision 09

Southbridge Vendor Intel

Southbridge Model HM65

Southbridge Revision B2

Another small update. I decided to try and create a ###### install for ML DP3 to see if perhaps more graphics cards were supported and successfully created the USB key. I then tried booting with it and found that boot options "-v -x PCIRootUID=0" took me all the way to the install screen! Instead of ATI not-Posted, boot indicated that HD3000 was in use. I then ate lunch and tried to boot into Windows and received several errors (which I didn't write down) but basically complained of "drive error" and wouldn't boot Windows. Several restarts later, Windows came back to life. I then went back and booted from ML DP3 USB key and found the original problem above had returned. I made no changes to the BIOS manually but wonder if a) the ML DP3 installer did and B) Windows set them back again.

This is really odd. I suspect that PCIRootUID flag is a red herring in my case and the issue may be that the BIOS is being changed such that a setting as to which Graphics Card to use is stored there somehow. Unfortunately the Sammy BIOS on this Laptop is extremely dumbed down with no Graphics related options I can see.

Hope someone else is fiddling with a Series 5 or can see where the problem is and can shed light on this!

Ciao