Help with restore

ouxly40

4 posts in this topic

I had a crash! Before the crash I had some problems with Quicktime and Safari. Not sure if it was the trojan or something else. Bought a new 720GB drive and added it to the system. Loaded Apple retail 10.6.3, combo update 10.6.4 , combo update 10.6.5 and then 10.6.6. Except for fakesmc - it's pure apple os. Everything is fine. Done all the updates except 10.6.8 from apple software updates. No DSDT yet. It's a P45 board, Core Duo w/ 4GB. Everything works perfectly except 8500GT 512 card. Have not tried that yet. 9800GT will not even boot! It's what I was using before the crash. Not really concerned about that. 1024 x 768 for now. It boots very fast, all apps run nice and smooth.

Here's where I need help! I have a time machine backup on ext USB. All I want is all my apps (working the way they were) and my mail that's been saved. Bookmarks and keychain would save me a lot of time too. If it was the trojan - would it be safe to get these from the backup? Many of my apps have support files in other folders. Who can help me out?

Use CarbonCopyCloner for perfectly backup,no needed from time mashine

Now that I have had a chance to need it - i would say that Time Machine is not such a good method of BU. It would not do the keychain. It probably does ok on a fresh install and just have it get everything. Migration assistant does ok, not prefect but always causes tons of permissions problems. I will be looking into something easier to use... Thanks for your help, rlf! It got me 95% there like you said.