HP Compaq 6910p + OS X Lion 10.7.x

justApple

5 posts in this topic

HP Compaq 6910p + OS X Lion 10.7.x

CONCLUSION:

FOR HP ELITEBOOK 6910P MODELS WITH THE ATI X2300 GPU

- AFAIK IT DOESNT WORK OUT OF THE BOX

- UNLESS YOU WANT TO DO LOTS OF HARDCORE CODING HACKING DRIVERS AND STUFF.

FOR HP ELITEBOOK 6910P MODELS WITH THE INTEL GPU

- AFAIK IT WORKS ALMOST OUT OF THE BOX.

maybe its a different case for HP Elitebook 6910p (ati x2300) and OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.x

• 2 months later...

I'm also new to this and I have the Intel GM965 model.

Using iAtkos L2 runs through the install with Chameleon bootloader, SATA support, Intel Gigabit Ethernet, USBFix and from memory not much else(should have documented).

On reboot the PC fails with an IOArrary KP.

Next reboot with the safe boot, same issue.

Reviewing my brief experience with 10.5.7 I tried the -v -x arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=No flags and the PC boots but with garbled screen. I plugged in the external monitor, rebooted close the laptop using the same flags the machine boots.

AppleIntelE1000e.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext installed through Kext Wizard and the GraphicsEnabler=No option added to the Chameleon Boot Options.

All worked, the internal display works at it's max. resolution, ethernet, USB.

Cloned the HDD.

Did the Software Update to 10.7.4 and apart from the Intel WiFi everything seems stable.

Added: Installed USB wireless dongle, EDUP EP-N8811u, Everything now appears stable

• 5 months later...

I'm also new to this and I have the Intel GM965 model.

Using iAtkos L2 runs through the install with Chameleon bootloader, SATA support, Intel Gigabit Ethernet, USBFix and from memory not much else(should have documented).

On reboot the PC fails with an IOArrary KP.

Next reboot with the safe boot, same issue.

Reviewing my brief experience with 10.5.7 I tried the -v -x arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=No flags and the PC boots but with garbled screen. I plugged in the external monitor, rebooted close the laptop using the same flags the machine boots.

AppleIntelE1000e.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext installed through Kext Wizard and the GraphicsEnabler=No option added to the Chameleon Boot Options.

All worked, the internal display works at it's max. resolution, ethernet, USB.

Cloned the HDD.

Did the Software Update to 10.7.4 and apart from the Intel WiFi everything seems stable.

Added: Installed USB wireless dongle, EDUP EP-N8811u, Everything now appears stable

hi thanks for the reply, from what i know the 6910p with x2300 ati graphics is just doesn't work well. so its just windows or ubuntu for the 6910p.

btw i think the 6910p can be upgraded to 8gb or 16gb, and a ssd at sata1 speeds . which sort of extends its useful life depending on what the laptop will be used for.

• 1 year later...

I'm a relative noob here. A few years ago, I picked up a Dell Mini 10v, and it hacked like a dream. However, it's getting very VERY tired. SO, I picked up a 6910p (Intel GM965 model) and installed 10.7.4 on yesterday. Not much worked OOB for me. I used the OSXLatitude/MyHack method, after being unable to get anywhere with the tonymacx86/##### method. (This after figuring out that the 6910p would *NOT* boot from a USB thumbdrive.)

The biggest problem I've got is the screen is split 4-ways - 2 'copies' horizontal, 2 vertical. I tried booting GraphicsEnabler=no, and removed the ATI & nVidia (type) .kexts, with no change.

Other weirdness is the network control panel lists no ethernet. If I plug in to my network, I get internet access, but the computer thinks it's coming from bluetooth. However, it doesn't otherwise see bluetooth as an option. I don't know what else works/doesn't work, as the screen issue is a big stumbling block. (hard to read at 1/4 size)

I'm currently DLing iATKOS… we'll see if that works better with above-listed tags. Unless, of course, I hear of a fix.

OK… this is quickly becoming 'not fun' anymore. After learning of a potential problem (elsewhere), I managed to get the machine up… once, with the bootloader from the installer.

I have the same specs, and followed the procedure described here:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.7.5/Portables#HP_6910p

… I got through it, and had to infer the last step as installing the bootloader onto the target drive. As soon as I did, megabork. Now the installer won't even boot.

AFAIK the only things different from the listed spec/procedure are:

1/ My source Lion install image is 10.7.4 (where that procedure mentioned updating to 10.7.4 after install)

2/ He's calling for one (of 2 listed) specific Chameleon updates "2255 or 2263" but all I had access to at the time was 2254*

3/ I did not install the 'extra kext to read hardware temps' as they seemed to be optional, and something to look into once the system was up and running

I'm currently downloading the newest Chameleon wizard, and completely wiping and rebuilding my installer drive. Even with the 'wrong' Chameleon update post-install, that doesn't (at least in my mind) explain why the installer disk is now broken.

I will give it another go, but yeah… this is no longer 'fun' in any sense of the word, except sarcasm.

P.S. Admins:

Please note the linked procedure (for 10.7.4 install) is listed verbatim in the 10.6.8 portables wiki page.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.8/Portables#HP_6910p