VMware Workstation 8.0.2-AMD-OSX

3 posts in this topic

I've been looking around at different ways to experiment with OSX of any flavor but I can't seem to get any working. I have a Phenom II x4 945 processor with 4 GB RAM, VMware Workstation 8.0.2 and a download of the Snow Leopard 10.6.7 for Intel and AMD VMDK. I've ran Unlocker 1.02 so Workstation will let me select OSX, but when I boot it, I get an error that "the cpu has been disabled by the guest operating system"

I've tried changing the VMX file to say Darwin10-64 or Darwin10 and a CPUID change that I found, but still no luck. Any chance I can get this running?

• 2 weeks later...

This may help, though our setups are different. I'm running VMware Workstation 7.1.4, OS X 10.6.8, on Phenom II X4 850. I just got this setup working yesterday after trying several different SL versions and vmds. It was pretty much the same each time, the "cpu has been disabled by the guest operating system" appeared immediately after the gray screen with the apple icon.

1. Edit the vmx file and delete this line: firmware = "efi". Exit the editor.
  2. In the VMs settings, set the cd/dvd (IDE) to EmpireEFI4AMD.iso (if it's not in the directory with your vmdk, google for it).
  3. Now boot the VM and you should see a darth vader screen with two icons.
  4. Hit the right arrow key to select the apple icon then hit enter.

I kept the first cd/dvd drive mounted to EmpireEFI4AMD.iso and added another cd/dvd to access my physical dvd so I didn't have to keep switching back and forth.

The only consequence is that I have to do step 4 every time I boot the VM. I suspect something isn't set up right but I haven't had time to investigate further.

So after some experimentation, I got my vm to boot directly from the vmdk rather than having to boot from a CD iso image by installing the legacy 10.6.8 kernel v2 from http://www.osx86.net/view/2256-legacy_kernel_v8_r2_anv.html. I also checked the box to force 64-bit. Incidentally, it also had the side benefit of allowing USB related kexts to load successfully so now I can see my iphone - a good thing since I need this install for iOS software development.