First of all allow me to thank my sponsors a lot!
Thank you for showing interest in my project and deciding to support my work.
- Intel Core i7 3770k - http://www.dustinhom...ider_SiteSeeker
- Newton R2 1000w 80+ - http://www.fractal-d...egory=3&prod=29
- 2x Silent Series 120mm - http://www.fractal-d...egory=4&prod=18
- 2x Silent Series 92mm - http://www.fractal-d...egory=4&prod=17
- 4x Silent Series 60mm - http://www.fractal-d...egory=4&prod=15
- 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1600MHz - http://www.crucial.c...3D1608DE1TX0CEU
- Crucial M4 128GB SSD - http://www.crucial.c...=CT128M4SSD2CCA
- Antec Kühler H₂O 920 - http://store.antec.c...PREORD-H2O.aspx
- Motherboard tray 120mm - http://www.mountainm...-tray-p-56.html
- Fan grill - http://www.mountainm...sion-p-372.html
- 3x 1-to-4 PWM Fan Splitter - http://www.quietpc.c...wm-1-4-pwmcable
- 1x Dämpningsmatta AcoustiPack ML 2-layer 4mm OEM Material - http://www.quietpc.c...erials/apml-2l4
- 2x AcoustiFan Anti-vibration Soft Silicone Fan Gaskets - http://www.quietpc.c...ries/fangaskets
- 8x Acousti Products Anti-Vibration Silicone Washers - http://www.quietpc.c...p-1003w-c-group
- 1x Quiet PC Case Badge - http://www.quietpc.c...ries/casebadges
- 50m Paracord sleeve NARROW - Solid White - http://djungelapa.s...?id_product=235
- 5m Black Heat Shrink - http://djungelapa.s...p?id_category=3
- Black Sleeve for self-made cable - http://djungelapa.s...p?id_category=2
- Tool to 6, 8, 24pins connectors - http://djungelapa.s...p?id_product=70
- "El Cheapo" - 2pcs Molexverktyg - http://djungelapa.s...p?id_product=47
Pictures and the usage of the products will be added gradually.
[ X ] Write an introduction. - 16/1 2012
[ X ] Empty the case of components. - 23/1 2012
[ X ] Put in my own power supply inside of PowerMac G5's power supply "case". 5/02 2012 - Fractal Design parts are being used here.
[ X ] Manage to attach the motherboard. 28/03 2012 - Mountain Mods parts are being used here.
[ X ] Manage to fix the I/O panel at the rear. 5/5 2012.
[ ] Mount everything that is supposed to be in the case.
[X ] Sleeve the Powersupply. -1/5 2012 Djungelapa parts are being used here.
[ X ] Optimize the case to be as quiet as possible - Quiet PC parts are being used here.
[ X ] Do unboxings, reviews and benchmarks of the products I've been sponsored with. - Crucial and Antec parts are being used here.
[ ] Install "Ubuntu" and the theme "Macbuntu".
Hi and Welcome to my project!
In Sweden (where I live) it's mandatory to do a project the last (third) year of High school and I have decided that my project will be to modify a "PowerMac G5" case.
The computer is a Macintosh / Apple and is one of the best looking chassis that exists (my personal opinion) and I have therefore decided to use this for my PC.
Apple has a tendency to want to lock up their customers and not allow them to experience freedom and upgradeability in terms of hardware and software. For those of us who are not satisfied with the default, this is a major obstacle.
This computer, "PowerMac G5", is extremely limited in terms of replacement of computer parts (especially the motherboard) which means that the computer becomes obsolete fairly quickly and become useless as anything more than an ordinary surfing PC after a couple of years.
Why do I choose a case that can not be used for anything other than the case has been made for?
Because the case is so damn beautiful and stylish. The entire chassis shines of quality and feels robust. The "PowerMac G5" is the "Tank of the chassis".
A hardware modification will do that I can continue to use this case for my current computer, and my upcoming computers, thanks to the upgrade I will do to it.
Pictures of "PowerMac G5":
My goal with this project is to prove that you can mix the best of both worlds. Apple's stylish and well thought design with the PC-world's upgradeability and performance, which in turn creates a very attractive computer (appearance) that has the ability to be a performance monster.
When the case mod is finished, I will run the Linux distribution "Ubuntu" and a theme called "Macbuntu" to get the classic and nice looking OSX-look, while the entire operating system and applications are Open Source / Free!.
The computer will be used for Video / Film production which proves that just because you work with production of various kinds a Macintosh isn't a must.
I will not "chit chat" in this projectlog but rather do large updates (instead of many small), where I then also will answer all questions asked :thumb:
Hope you find my project interesting and would like to follow it.
UPDATE 01/23 2012
UPDATE 5/02 2012
UPDATE 20/02 2012
Hope you find this interesting! Feel free to comment!
Constructive criticism is always welcome and all kinds of opinions and suggestions! I prefer that people ask questions or offer ideas.
Take care and stay tuned!