43 replies to this topic

nikkokick

nikkokick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Posted Image

First of all allow me to thank my sponsors a lot!
Thank you for showing interest in my project and deciding to support my work.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thank you once again! Without you I wouldn't be able to fulfill this project.
Pictures and the usage of the products will be added gradually.

To-do list:
[ X ] Write an introduction. - 16/1 2012
[ X ] Empty the case of components. - 23/1 2012
[ X ] Put in my own power supply inside of PowerMac G5's power supply "case". 5/02 2012 - Fractal Design parts are being used here.
[ X ] Manage to attach the motherboard. 28/03 2012 - Mountain Mods parts are being used here.
[ X ] Manage to fix the I/O panel at the rear. 5/5 2012.
[ ] Mount everything that is supposed to be in the case.
[X ] Sleeve the Powersupply. -1/5 2012 Djungelapa parts are being used here.
[ X ] Optimize the case to be as quiet as possible - Quiet PC parts are being used here.
[ X ] Do unboxings, reviews and benchmarks of the products I've been sponsored with. - Crucial and Antec parts are being used here.
[ ] Install "Ubuntu" and the theme "Macbuntu".

Hi and Welcome to my project!

In Sweden (where I live) it's mandatory to do a project the last (third) year of High school and I have decided that my project will be to modify a "PowerMac G5" case.

The computer is a Macintosh / Apple and is one of the best looking chassis that exists (my personal opinion) and I have therefore decided to use this for my PC.
Apple has a tendency to want to lock up their customers and not allow them to experience freedom and upgradeability in terms of hardware and software. For those of us who are not satisfied with the default, this is a major obstacle.

This computer, "PowerMac G5", is extremely limited in terms of replacement of computer parts (especially the motherboard) which means that the computer becomes obsolete fairly quickly and become useless as anything more than an ordinary surfing PC after a couple of years.

Why do I choose a case that can not be used for anything other than the case has been made for?
Because the case is so damn beautiful and stylish. The entire chassis shines of quality and feels robust. The "PowerMac G5" is the "Tank of the chassis".

A hardware modification will do that I can continue to use this case for my current computer, and my upcoming computers, thanks to the upgrade I will do to it.

Pictures of "PowerMac G5":
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

My goal with this project is to prove that you can mix the best of both worlds. Apple's stylish and well thought design with the PC-world's upgradeability and performance, which in turn creates a very attractive computer (appearance) that has the ability to be a performance monster.

When the case mod is finished, I will run the Linux distribution "Ubuntu" and a theme called "Macbuntu" to get the classic and nice looking OSX-look, while the entire operating system and applications are Open Source / Free!.
The computer will be used for Video / Film production which proves that just because you work with production of various kinds a Macintosh isn't a must.

I will not "chit chat" in this projectlog but rather do large updates (instead of many small), where I then also will answer all questions asked :thumb:

Hope you find my project interesting and would like to follow it.

Best Regards
Nikkop

UPDATE 01/23 2012

Spoiler

UPDATE 5/02 2012
Spoiler

UPDATE 20/02 2012
Spoiler

Hope you find this interesting! Feel free to comment!
Constructive criticism is always welcome and all kinds of opinions and suggestions! I prefer that people ask questions or offer ideas.

Take care and stay tuned!

Best Regards
Nikko

Stay tuned!

Regards
Nikkop

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Looks like a neat project! Keep going. ;)

nikkokick

nikkokick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Good afternoon!

I have now updated my first post with a "To-Do list". Check it out!
I also added a list of what I'm getting from the companies that decided to sponsor me. Check that out as well.

Looks like a neat project! Keep going. ;)

Thanks man! I hope more people are interested in following my project, it would be sweet.

Other than that, stay tuned! :)

nickjf20

nickjf20

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Very nice, I was just wondering how you're planning on keeping a nice clean, apple-esque look to the back of the case ?

nikkokick

nikkokick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hello!

Here is an update of over 50 new pictures!, please look below: UPDATE 5/2 2012 - In the first post

This update was the modding of "Fractal Design Newton 1000W PSU R2" to fit in the original G5 case. It looks a lot better than just having a loose power supply inside the case.

Take your time and read the new update and replywith questions or suggestions!

Any form of criticism / opinions are welcome and answered!

I also proudly want to announce a new partner named "Mountain Mods."
They will provide me with a motherboard tray and a fan grill.
I first had in mind to have the Lian-Li motherboard plate but unfortunately it only has one 80mm fan which I think is too weak for the exhaust.
Mountain Mods provides me with a motherboard tray with a 120mm exhaust, talk about improvement!

Thanks again!
I will take pictures of the tray when I receive it.

Posted Image

Very nice, I was just wondering how you're planning on keeping a nice clean, apple-esque look to the back of the case ?

Thank you!

I won't. I will be using a motherboard tray I'm being supplied with by Mountain Mods.

The back I don't care about keeping it original. I rather have it well made and functioning!

Please see my update! :)

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Very nice!

For the PSU, you may not need a 135mm fan...however, what about the original fans? I noticed that awesome modular design for the cords; why not wire the connection board through the original opening for the power connectors? As I don't own the PSU myself I can't see how it would work exactly, but it might be a good idea...or you could cut the top and fit the connection board flush inside. Let me know what you think. :)

My opinion: I think a motherboard tray actually doesn't look bad...just different. Still somewhat Appleish, too. Also, have you thought about making this a Hackintosh as opposed to a Linux box?

Again, awesome project. You are doing very, very well. ;)

nickjf20

nickjf20

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Hello!

Here is an update of over 50 new pictures!, please look below: UPDATE 5/2 2012 - In the first post

This update was the modding of "Fractal Design Newton 1000W PSU R2" to fit in the original G5 case. It looks a lot better than just having a loose power supply inside the case.

Take your time and read the new update and replywith questions or suggestions!

Any form of criticism / opinions are welcome and answered!

I also proudly want to announce a new partner named "Mountain Mods."
They will provide me with a motherboard tray and a fan grill.
I first had in mind to have the Lian-Li motherboard plate but unfortunately it only has one 80mm fan which I think is too weak for the exhaust.
Mountain Mods provides me with a motherboard tray with a 120mm exhaust, talk about improvement

Thank you!

I won't. I will be using a motherboard tray I'm being supplied with by Mountain Mods.

The back I don't care about keeping it original. I rather have it well made and functioning!

Please see my update! :)

Just as an FYI -- the 120mm fan hole in the Mountain Mods backplate is a bit too big to fit sideways across the PowerMac. You'd be much better off getting the dual 80s option.

OR, cut out a custom fan hole from the Lian Li so it looks all nice and pretty :P Mine looks like this: http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

My to-do list includes fans, new PSU, and new GPU when the 7XXX series comes out. If only I had a lovely sponsor ....

nikkokick

nikkokick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Very nice!

For the PSU, you may not need a 135mm fan...however, what about the original fans? I noticed that awesome modular design for the cords; why not wire the connection board through the original opening for the power connectors? As I don't own the PSU myself I can't see how it would work exactly, but it might be a good idea...or you could cut the top and fit the connection board flush inside. Let me know what you think. :)

My opinion: I think a motherboard tray actually doesn't look bad...just different. Still somewhat Appleish, too. Also, have you thought about making this a Hackintosh as opposed to a Linux box?

Again, awesome project. You are doing very, very well. ;)

Hi!

I don't think the fans from the original casing are strong nor silent enough for my needs :)

About the tray I'm thinking about maybe drilling out all the small holes as in the original G5 case, maybe it will look great then ;)

The reason I'm not going to hackintosh it is because I simply don't like OSX. To be honest I haven't tried it for too long either, but it feels like it's "too simple" for me.
The visual design does look good indeed, but the functions not so much.
Also, breaking EULA (by hacking OSX) isn't anything I'd like to do when I've got sponsors and such :)

Thanks once again! Stay tuned ;)

Just as an FYI -- the 120mm fan hole in the Mountain Mods backplate is a bit too big to fit sideways across the PowerMac. You'd be much better off getting the dual 80s option.

OR, cut out a custom fan hole from the Lian Li so it looks all nice and pretty :P Mine looks like this: http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

My to-do list includes fans, new PSU, and new GPU when the 7XXX series comes out. If only I had a lovely sponsor ....

Hi!

Are you kidding me about the tray? I thought the 120mm and the dual 80mm's was the very same tray only different in the fan spaces? Are you saying that the 120mm tray is wider than the dual 80mm and therefor too big to fit on the back of the G5? If that's the case I'm a little screwed. But I guess it can be fixed :/
The order is already on it's way so it's too late to change it now :(

EDIT: Unfortunately it seemed that you were right about the 120mm tray being too large. The size wasn't mentioned on Mountain Mods website and I thought they were the same size.
Here's a guy comparing them:

http://t1.gstatic.co...xoR_Y-eLzeOsGQW

I guess I'll have to make some cutting to make it fit. But I have no idea what to do about the fans, the original fan spots will be blocked by the train and the 120mm hole won't fit.
I'm pretty upset about this but I guess I'll have to come to a solution.

If you happen to have any ideas about this please don't hesitate to tell me! :)

The 7970/7950 are already out! What are you waiting for? ;)
Contact companies and talk to them if you wish to be sponsored. You have to put your soul into it.

Regards
Nikkokick

nickjf20

nickjf20

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Well, I'll be posting all the 'workings' of my mod when the perspex fan grill is ready, but I started out with the Lian Li 80mm hole and used a weird pair of curved metal scissors to cut it out to vaguely 90mm. It was then sanded 'out' further to fit the original PowerMac fan grill. http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

At the moment, I've only got a 450W PSU with 32Amps on the 12V rail, so I can't really shove a 7970 / 7950 in, nor can I afford them ;)
I'll probably end up getting a 7870

You might (will) have to fabricate a new back panel if you go down the 120mm route, but I'd recommend just asking them really nicely to have the dual 80s option.

What happened to Antec ? Aren't they sending you out the 920 any more ?

nikkokick

nikkokick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Well, I'll be posting all the 'workings' of my mod when the perspex fan grill is ready, but I started out with the Lian Li 80mm hole and used a weird pair of curved metal scissors to cut it out to vaguely 90mm. It was then sanded 'out' further to fit the original PowerMac fan grill. http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

At the moment, I've only got a 450W PSU with 32Amps on the 12V rail, so I can't really shove a 7970 / 7950 in, nor can I afford them ;)
I'll probably end up getting a 7870

You might (will) have to fabricate a new back panel if you go down the 120mm route, but I'd recommend just asking them really nicely to have the dual 80s option.

What happened to Antec ? Aren't they sending you out the 920 any more ?

Your results sure do look nice but I want either two 92mm or one 120mm, I'll get my motherboard tray at the start of next week so hopefully I'll be able to decide then :)

About Antec.
We had continuous e-mail contact for a while, and they even promised me to ship a 920 Kuhler when it was in stock, and that was a couple of days before Christmas.
However, after New Year I haven't heard from them at all. It has been a whole month since I contacted them after New Year and they still haven't replied, even tho I've sent them e-mails recently asking what's going on no one replied, I even had contact with two different persons.
Very very very unprofessional acting from Antec in my opinion and therefor I'm no longer interested in having a collaboration with them. It would be one thing if they would say to me that they no longer have the possibility to support me with their products, then I would be fine, but when they're not even answering my e-mails for over a month, that's unprofessional from a company that big.

So I have instead contacted other companies who are interested in having a collaboration with me, and I'm going to present them as soon as we have discussed and come to a conclusion :)

Until then, best regards.
Nikkokick

nikkokick

nikkokick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Also!

You might wonder why I don't update to frequently.
This project is a school project which is supposed to last until/be finished at the end of May. Due to that I've decided to not too often, but rather do it once a week more or less.

However, I was supposed to do an update yesterday/today but I encountered a problem.
I was going to pick up the package from Mountain Mods when the courier/customs wanted to charge me for 270 SEK. That is, approximately 50% of the value of motherboard tray + the shipping.
This makes no sense and I refused to pay it, instead I'm now having contact with the courier and the customs.

Customs tend to be 25%, which would be fine I guess (even tho I'd like to avoid it) but now it's around 50%.

Also! I've got 4x 60mm fans from Fractal Design to be used for the PSU. This update will come shortly, I'm in need to fix some things first >: )

Best Regards
Nikkokick

nickjf20

nickjf20

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Wish the UK operated this project scheme.

Shame about the Antec 920, I've heard good things about them.

As for customs - that's a real annoyance ! I opted for the Lian over the Mountain Mods simply because they were so unhelpful over the shipping -- I wondered how much it would cost to post one to the UK and they replied almost a week later with a generic response, clearly not realising I was from the UK. Good luck dealing with your courier!

Also, does anyone have any tips on cleaning the powermac aluminium ? The people I bought it from were smokers and there's a weird slightly yellow residue on the side which won't come off :/

nikkokick

nikkokick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have now updated my project!
Please search (CTRL+F on Windows) for UPDATE 20/02.
You'll then be directed to where my newest update starts.

Thanks

Wish the UK operated this project scheme.

Shame about the Antec 920, I've heard good things about them.

As for customs - that's a real annoyance ! I opted for the Lian over the Mountain Mods simply because they were so unhelpful over the shipping -- I wondered how much it would cost to post one to the UK and they replied almost a week later with a generic response, clearly not realising I was from the UK. Good luck dealing with your courier!

Also, does anyone have any tips on cleaning the powermac aluminium ? The people I bought it from were smokers and there's a weird slightly yellow residue on the side which won't come off :/

Hehe well too bad you don't have it, it's a really nice thing to have!

I managed to not pay a cent for the customs! Read through my update and you'll see how I managed to do so!

About cleaning I have no idea! Try some polish for bathrooms or something like that, might work! :o

Best Regards
Nikkokick

nickeddy

nickeddy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Looks nice so far. I have one question though - what do you plan on using for the HDD cage? I can't for the life of me seem to find any HDD cage with 5x or more bays that will sit with the disks' io facing towards the case opening. Any suggestions would be awesome.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
Many modders simply use the cage that came in the PowerMac, unless you're one of those people with a zillion hard drives. Look up the DaveVegas PowerMac G5 mod here and he did it.

nickeddy

nickeddy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Many modders simply use the cage that came in the PowerMac, unless you're one of those people with a zillion hard drives. Look up the DaveVegas PowerMac G5 mod here and he did it.

I've got 4 HDDs so that won't work. Might have to go with a really cheap case and rip out its guts :).
I did find this, however: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816111045
Seems to be what I'd like, mostly.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
It might be a little cumbersome. I would just get a cheap case (there are some on eBay I think for like $15) and rip out the guts. ;)

I'm also thinking that if your PSU draws less than 500W, you might not even need the other two. If you really want them, though, i would mount them inside the PSU.

Kevin Pham

Kevin Pham

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

I've got 4 HDDs so that won't work. Might have to go with a really cheap case and rip out its guts :).
I did find this, however: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816111045
Seems to be what I'd like, mostly.

I've been looking at that for awhile now, too. But I really want to be able to put the fans on the side to combo as my front intake.

I've been thinking of using this, too.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811999141

nickeddy

nickeddy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I've been looking at that for awhile now, too. But I really want to be able to put the fans on the side to combo as my front intake.

I've been thinking of using this, too.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811999141

Here's another I'm thinking of - seems like it would work well.
http://www.frozencpu...ized_Black.html

Kevin Pham

Kevin Pham

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Here's another I'm thinking of - seems like it would work well.
http://www.frozencpu...ized_Black.html

So I ended up ordering this HDD caddy:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816111045

I removed the rear fan and bought a quieter one and mounted that one on the side. I'll post it on my thread later tonight ('round 2AM PST)

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=276564

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy