g5 iMac PSU question

1 post in this topic

So this week someone donated a 20" g5 iMac to the thrift store I volunteer at. Needless to say, this wasn't going out in the store.

Last night I took it home and fiddled with it for a bit and realized that I have 2 options. Beef up the ram, overclock the PPC chip and install an airport card for wireless connectivity. (oddly it has the bluetooth module and wireless kb and mouse setup but no airport)

OR

I could try to hack and swap my current system into the shell. It started as a case mod build I never finished but I could likely fit the whole assembly inside the iMac with room to spare with the way I built it. (its 12"(w)x7"(d)x3"(h))

I'm not sure if Id run this as a hackintosh or just a windows PC, mainly because I chose the llano option and I haven't read up on the compatibility with current hackintosh efforts.

My main question. Can I use the iMac g5 PSU to power my motherboard, a HDD and a few fans? I honestly don't care if I lose the disc drive as I hardly use mine now. I do have an SFF PSU that would likely fit inside the assembly but id love to keep the stock iMac PSU because of the way it connects to the monitor.