visim91

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
MEDIA ³
A G4 Cube Mod.

Posted Image

I understand and respect the G4 Cube mods that countless other users have detailed online: from the installation of custom parts to create an aesthetically pleasing hackintosh - to the more simple, but equally rewarding process of gutting the Cube to make way for a Mini. Great.

Now, let me briefly detail my situation and subsequently, my needs (er.. *wants)

I have a shambolic media collection; one that is spread between a number of external hard drives of varied sizes and origin. What a mess.
So, I consolidated and organized the files; trashed the impulse buys and held on to those cherished films and shows that I could not do without: This was hard.

(All films/episodes are 720P/1080P with a smattering of Standard-Def, where High-Def was simply unavailable)

Here is Hard Drive #1
Posted Image

Here is Hard Drive #2
Posted Image

What I want to do is mod my G4 Cube to house anywhere from 6-8 TB; essentially, make my G4 Cube a large external hard drive, the most ultimate and aesthetically pleasing media storage device.

& I have no idea where to start... but I know: It must be done.

Well, the Cube should have 4 bays, which I would fill, at present time, with 3x 2TB HDDs
-How would I go about producing or finding a bare-bones 4-bay enclosure to fit in Cube?
-How would I then go about cooling the whole shindig?
-How does one consolidate the drives to be recognized as a single 6/8TB HDD via computer?
-How do I configure this set-up to exit via a USB 2.0 connection
-Is there a possibility, in the coming months, that I may be able to switch this set-up from USB to Thunderbolt?

nickjf20

nickjf20

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
To allow the drives to be seen as one big one, try installing the original Windows Home Server (if there will be dedicated hardware nearby) -- it has something that'll be perfect.

For the drive enclosure(s), try ebay or mountain mods, and as for the USB 'exit', you'll have to get a SATA to USB adapter, again eBay is your friend. If I were you, I'd just run sata connectors to your PC/Mac from the G4 cube.

As for thunderbolt, I doubt it for a few years.

As for how this will all work. Get a small power supply - chop off unwanted connectors, shove in a nice quiet fan in the top and it should be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy