• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

stayhome

stayhome

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Are there any consumer systems out there that are working "better" with OSX than others?
Been using Dell mini's that work very well but sick of windowz on the desktop.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D

Are there any consumer systems out there that are working "better" with OSX than others?
Been using Dell mini's that work very well but sick of windowz on the desktop.

The main thing to be looking for is that you have Intel Core or Xeon processors. Because they are supported in Apple's kernel, they tend to have the best compatibility. Also, the easiest chipset is Intel AHCI SATA, since again Apple's native drivers support it. Other than that, there isn't much else. These are not limitations (both of my computers have Pentiums and one of them has a VIA ICH chipset), but simply considerations.

My Dell Dimension 9100 is running OS X great. My only problems are 1. my graphics card is being bottlenecked by my CPU (not OS X's fault), and 2. not all the sound ports work, only because I have to patch VoodooHDA.

Nurseman927

Nurseman927

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

The main thing to be looking for is that you have Intel Core or Xeon processors. Because they are supported in Apple's kernel, they tend to have the best compatibility. Also, the easiest chipset is Intel AHCI SATA, since again Apple's native drivers support it. Other than that, there isn't much else. These are not limitations

Okay, so I just started looking and came across a Dell on Ebay, when I look at chipset info I get this from Dell

Chipset Intel 5000X

Hard drive

SATA: integrated serial ATA, with RAID 0/1/5 and command queuing

SAS: optional PCI Express SAS with or without RAID

Entire page of specs here,

http://support.dell....o.htm#wp1060065

I saw this combo with Dual Xeon's and 16 Gig ram on Ebay for 300 bucks. Is this something that would work without too much trouble ? I am just getting started, and have been looking arround, a used high end system seems like a more cost effective move at this point.

Thanks

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Okay, so I just started looking and came across a Dell on Ebay, when I look at chipset info I get this from Dell

Chipset Intel 5000X

Entire page of specs here,

http://support.dell....o.htm#wp1060065

Thanks

ahh dell precision workstation 490
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=241490
add compatible video card and good to go

some of his steps are outdates already, the 8400gs in com.apple.Boot.plist is wrong. use Chameleon 2.1 GraphicsEnabler

smbios.plist is probably missing crucial stuff and no need to do all kinds of device description in it.. chameleon handles most of it.
instead get the Extra folder from forum " Lion USB install "

the com.apple.Boot.plist is renamed to org.chameleon.Boot.plist in chameleon 2.5 RC5 rev 102x and up.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
That build looks good. I would pounce on that. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy