Dual Boot OS X and Win7 (SRT enabled)

gearhead364

4 posts in this topic

I am creating dual boot OSX (Lion preferably) and Win7 system on my new Z68. I would like to use the SSD caching feature in Win 7, but this requires the BIOS to use the RAID configuration for the SATA controller, a setting which is not supported for OSX (please correct me if I am wrong!). The simple solution to this is to change the bios settings every time I switch between OSs, which is not really ideal.

So the question I pose is there a more elegant way to accomplish this so that I can use SSD caching in Win7 and not have to change bios settings between OS swaps?

Here's my specs:

Core-i5 2500k (stock freq)

Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3

4GB 1333 MHz C9 generic RAM

NVIDIA 8800 GT

120 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD

500 GB Western Digital

It would be nice to install OSX on the leftover space from the SSD caching partition (~80 GB). Additionally, down the line I may want to add Ubuntu to the list so I can try out OpenFoam, but that is something I will worry about later.

I do not have answers to your questions. Just a suggestion: your SSD looks big enough to me to have Win7, OSX and Linux on it. Your docs, pics, movies and other content can go to separate drive. You do not need caching then and all your oses could benefit from SSD.

I do not have answers to your questions. Just a suggestion: your SSD looks big enough to me to have Win7, OSX and Linux on it. Your docs, pics, movies and other content can go to separate drive. You do not need caching then and all your oses could benefit from SSD.

I have thought about this, the main issue is making sure that all the OSs reference an external drive for said documents and such. Additionally, any video game I play have to be installed off of the SSD. But its something to consider.

• 4 months later...

I have thought about this, the main issue is making sure that all the OSs reference an external drive for said documents and such. Additionally, any video game I play have to be installed off of the SSD. But its something to consider.

Hey gearhead364, I seem to be in the same situation as you. Have you had any success in doing this?

I have Asus P8Z68V-PRO board. I set up the SRT on Windows 7 with 64 GB remaining on my SSD. So I was able to install Linux on half of that and now I want to install OS X on the other half.

Since SRT requires SATA mode to be RAID, when I try to boot up the SL install disc, it's stuck at "Still waiting for root device"

When I changed it to AHCI, it boots up the installation disc, which is expected.

I'm still trying to figure out how to achieve this. I hope you were able to make some progress. :) Thanks

Edit: I have seen this from another thread and am wondering if this might be relevant to our case at all.