GA-P35-S3G Lion Guide (DSDT & Kext & BIOS)

2 posts in this topic

Oi!

Well I finally managed to get this bit aged board to cooperate fully with Lion (should work with Snow Leopard, too, but you might need other kernel extensions). I don't know how much of this applies to other P35-Series Gigabyte mainboards, but apart from the Audio Codec they should be more or less the same.

So here is what works:

-> Native SATA, all drives appear as internal etc (DSDT fix)

-> JMicron IDE controller (kernel extension)

-> USB ports appear as built-in (DSDT fix)

-> Correct CPU & RAM info

-> ALC662 sound via patched AppleHDA and DSDT fix

-> Shutdown & Reboot via DSDT fix

The only thing that is a bit of a hassle but STILL WORKS:

-> Sleep. In order to wake the machine up properly, you will have to press any key on the keyboard after you have pressed the power button. If you don't, the machine will sleep again after ~5 seconds. This is a known issue on a lot of Gigabyte mainboards and is discussed http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...261663&st=0 here.

RH8Iq.png

oF8J1.png

HPLt8.png

K91RB.png

All you need for it are a couple of kernel extensions and the correct dsdt file. Download the pack linked at the end of this post and put the following extensions into /Extra/Extensions/:

envy:Extensions mathis$ ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Aug 27 00:31 AppleRTCpatched.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Aug 26 13:11 FakeSMC.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Aug 27 13:41 JMicron36xATA.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Aug 27 13:08 LegacyALC662.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Aug 27 00:31 RealtekRTL81xx.kext

Sadly, we have to put AppleHDA.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/ because of a couple of dependency errors. So be sure to make a backup of this file and replace it after every update that might overwrite it!

Copy the dsdt.aml to /Extra/ and do the correct chmods and chowns:

chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/*
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

I have also included a modified BIOS update. It is version F3a, a bit older beta BIOS. This is the only one that lets you overclock your CPU. Plus I modified the BIOS POST splash screen to display a nice Apple logo :( This BIOS is not necessary but nice to have, especially if you plan to over clock. It is super stable though.

Also included are my org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist. You can use these but don't have to.

Well, you will find all the files you need here: http://db.tt/K2lCqSx

I hope I helped some of you with this. If I did, just leave a note :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Oi!

Well I finally managed to get this bit aged board to cooperate fully with Lion (should work with Snow Leopard, too, but you might need other kernel extensions). I don't know how much of this applies to other P35-Series Gigabyte mainboards, but apart from the Audio Codec they should be more or less the same.

So here is what works:

-> Native SATA, all drives appear as internal etc (DSDT fix)

-> JMicron IDE controller (kernel extension)

-> USB ports appear as built-in (DSDT fix)

-> Correct CPU & RAM info

-> ALC662 sound via patched AppleHDA and DSDT fix

-> Shutdown & Reboot via DSDT fix

The only thing that is a bit of a hassle but STILL WORKS:

-> Sleep. In order to wake the machine up properly, you will have to press any key on the keyboard after you have pressed the power button. If you don't, the machine will sleep again after ~5 seconds. This is a known issue on a lot of Gigabyte mainboards and is discussed http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...261663&st=0 here.

RH8Iq.png

oF8J1.png

HPLt8.png

K91RB.png

All you need for it are a couple of kernel extensions and the correct dsdt file. Download the pack linked at the end of this post and put the following extensions into /Extra/Extensions/:

envy:Extensions mathis$ ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Aug 27 00:31 AppleRTCpatched.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Aug 26 13:11 FakeSMC.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Aug 27 13:41 JMicron36xATA.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Aug 27 13:08 LegacyALC662.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Aug 27 00:31 RealtekRTL81xx.kext

Sadly, we have to put AppleHDA.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/ because of a couple of dependency errors. So be sure to make a backup of this file and replace it after every update that might overwrite it!

Copy the dsdt.aml to /Extra/ and do the correct chmods and chowns:

chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/*
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

I have also included a modified BIOS update. It is version F3a, a bit older beta BIOS. This is the only one that lets you overclock your CPU. Plus I modified the BIOS POST splash screen to display a nice Apple logo :lol: This BIOS is not necessary but nice to have, especially if you plan to over clock. It is super stable though.

Also included are my org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist. You can use these but don't have to.

Well, you will find all the files you need here: http://db.tt/K2lCqSx

I hope I helped some of you with this. If I did, just leave a note :(

Thx a lot good sir. I've got this same aged board with an oc'd q6600 @ 3.2ghz and was still running leopard 10.5.2 on it and had been looking into updating but didn't want to ruin a perfect running osx system.

So how did you get this working? What bootloader did you use? did you install Lion or do a upgrade? Thx again, you've at least given me enough confidence to convince me not to upgrade my system. Also what video card did you use? any input with that?

Thx again!