Almost there...

QuackHandle

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

Background: Until recently was successfully running Snow Leopard on my Cartri-Biosed GA EP43-UD3L. Running Plex, is was a flawless home media server. I used it via remote control (Plex) or screen sharing only.

Then, following installation of Lion on my MacBook Pro, the hackintosh started crashing - getting the black screen with text in the centre telling me to power down.

(Subsequently I've found that one of the two case fans wasn't working - could this be the reason for the repeated crashes I wonder?)

Wondering if Lion would help, I installed it from a USB stick. All seems to work, except:

On restart Chameleon always prompts for the startup volume (only one available), requiring me to plug in a keyboard. I did select hd(2,0) in the Chamelon Preference Pane but that hasn't changed anything.

Secondly, I have 5.1 sound using ALC888 HD kext. However, video, whether by Plex or VLC is very jerky and out of sync. I'm using 8400GS for Lion kext (I have an ASUS (512MB) EN8400GS-P-512M.

Any ideas gratefully received - I'm so close to it working perfectly (again) but as it's sole purpose is as a home theatre server it's unusable!

Thanks...

Hi, thanks for the advice.

I duplicated the file you suggested and added the code. I then saved in my Extra folder (as it wouldn't let me save in System Configuration).

Then in Chameleon Boot Setup>Boot Selector Fixes>Boot Config Path I pointed it at the new .plist.

Rebooted and same problem. Gone into Chameleon and it's pointing at the old file.

Am I doing something stupidly wrong? I can't see anywhere in Chameleon that I can edit the .plist file you mention.

UPDATE:

Have sorted the boot problem. Despite it reverting back to the original com.apple.boot.plist file, I ticked Quiet Boot in Chameleon.

So, just the graphics problem to resolve. On boot up, i did see a very brief error message about a video file.

FYI: In Chameleon I currently have Graphics Enabler, Nvidia ROM and Boot Banner ticked under Peripherals>Graphics. I don't have the Graphics Mode set.

Any thoughts?

Don't have an nvidia card, but a quick google search seems to have found someone who does:

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12646

Looks like you'll need to add the device id for your card to the right kext, along with using Graphics Enabler in chameleon. You don't need to inject Nvidia ROM ether. Just remember to rebuild the kext cache (you can do this with a utility like Kext Wizard) before rebooting after you modify your kexts!