FrontRow Working on Lion GM

NoMadMan

2 posts in this topic

I posted these same instructions over at the OSx86 forum. But I think this will come in handy for those who still use FrontRow or don't want to be robbed by Apple and there Apple TV.

Files needed from Snow Leopard 10.6.8:

1. /System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app

2. /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework

3. /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework

4. /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iTunesAccess.framework * if item exists on Lion. DO NOT overwrite *

5. /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.RemoteUI.plist

* Download FrontRow 2.1.7 and use Pacifist to extract the file or copy the code below and name it as "com.apple.RemoteUI.plist", without quotes.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>com.apple.RemoteUI</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
			<string>/System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/MacOS/Front Row</string>
	</array>
	<key>MachServices</key>
	<dict>
			<key>com.apple.RemoteUI</key>
			<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

6. /Applications/Front Row.app

7. reboot or logout/login

Working:

Remote: Apple Remote V2 (real Apple computers)

Keyboard: Front Row.app, command+esc

Another alternative, which I have not tested, is to download FrontRowUpdate2.1.7.dmg from Apple download and install it. But I can't guaranty that it will work since 2.1.7 didn't come with OS X 10.6. Post back if you got the alternative to work.

I have to take credit for step 5. It's the file that's needed to launch FrontRow using the remote and keyboard. Everything else is credited to pinarek's german forum.

Thats all folks!

• 2 weeks later...