Why restore BaseSystem.dmg?

kjp4756

5 posts in this topic

All of the OS X Lion boot DVD tutorials I find on the internet say to burn "Mac OS X Install ESD.dmg" to create a bootable dvd or usb. Why doesn't this work for a "hackintosh"? Why do we have to restore BaseSystem.dmg, copy packages, then copy mach_kernel? Does anybody know the reason why restoring the install esd alone does not boot properly on a hackintosh? I'm really curious to know the reason behind it. I think it would be a whole lot easier if we could just burn the install esd to a dvd (or restore to a usb stick or partition on external hdd) and boot it like we did the Snow Leopard install disc.

Please, enlighten me....

Hi

I'm not an expert in answering this question, but I think it has to be done in this way because of the Chameleon boot loader.

If you look at how the SL Install DVD is structured, and then at the way the Lion Install ESD is structured, you will see a big difference.

My guess is, Chameleon is not able to run and mount the BaseSystem.dmg while booting the installation, and therefore, we need to make the Lion installation media for hackintosh, look as much as possible like the SL installation media.

Just taking a wild stab at it but my guess is that the installation process is completely different in Lion than it was in Snow. On a "real" Mac, Lion installs a recovery partition, reboots, installs the rest of Lion. This partition isn't visible in Finder but you can see it if you use 3rd party partition managers (like iPartition). It would seem that Lion interacts with the EFI boot process itself to handle this automatically so that the user clicks install, goes for a cup of coffee, and comes back 45 minutes later to the "welcome" screen. This is similar to why you can't run the Bootcamp installer on a non-Mac (not that I ever saw the reason behind this often-requested feature).

On a "real" Mac, Lion installs a recovery partition, reboots, installs the rest of Lion. This partition isn't visible in Finder but you can see it if you use 3rd party partition managers (like iPartition).

very true. I prefer the direct installation, so I've installed lion to my macbook pro & air using the hackint0sh way.. Creating the recovery partition, copying, installing from the same disk takes longer..