Performing an PowerMac G4 Upgrade

3 posts in this topic

Hello all, i'm looking to perform an upgrade on my PowerMacG4. I want to replace the 'logic board' with a motherboard so that it can run an intel processor. What is the best way to approach this?

Do i need to get:

a: new cpu and install on current motherboard

b: new motherboard with cpu installed

c: new motherboard and a new cpu?

questions i have:

How do i know what to buy that will be compatible my powermacg4?

So basically i just want to run an intel i5 or i7 processor with firewire/usb and to be able to use the original superdrive where i can install at least 8gb of ram

I'm almost sure this is my model (i'd have to double check)

Can someone shed some light for me?

So you're basically wanting to build a Hackintosh, like everyone else on here :P In doing so, your existing G4 tower will require extensive modification for a generic PC motherboard to fit. You will also need to replace the power supply, and your IDE devices (considering that most newer motherboards only have SATA now).

JB

Great idea, i love to recycle HW, on the internet you can find similar experiments in image and sound.

Basically you need a new motherboard to accomodate a new CPU, a new graphic card, new memory modules,

in short, almost all of the internal life of the tower.

The problem is that apples "logic boards" are custom designed for the external chassis, ports have custom alignments,

the power supply is placed differently as in the ATX standard, still used in the IBM/compatible system (90% of today's PC's).

But it's not impossible.

Look for G4 mod or similar and you will find all your answers.

Good luck.