Installing Snow Leopard Hackintosh on Asus EEE PC 1000HE

mbohacz

1 post in this topic

I used Moondogg's guide to successfully hackintosh an Asus EEE PC 1000HE, but I found some of his notes needed some extra details, plus I just COULD NOT get the stock wireless card working at all, but I ended up setting mine up as a dual boot with Windows 7, so if I ever need to use the wireless, I can simply boot up in windows (my main reason for getting the mac OS is I am more familiar with it and I am primarily using it to watch videos etc when I go travelling). My wifi usb stick worked in the mac too once I installed the utility for it. UPDATE - I also got my wifi card working with the help of the Ralink utility - see notes at the end... I will post Moondogg's guide (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190295) below, plus add my notes along the way:

What you will need.

Working computer (PC or Mac) that runs OS X 10.5+

Retail Snow Leopard Disk or Image

Ability to connect your boot drive to the working computer via USB or an extra USB drive you can format.

Files that will be provided in this guide.

Asus EeePC 1000HE

SuperDuper! (free Mac hard drive cloning tool)

(for dual boot:)

Windows 7 disk

8GB USB Key or external USB drive

EasyBCD (free booting application)

Windows free USB utility (go here for more info: http://store.microsoft.com/help/iso-tool)

Installation Steps:

Connect drive via USB to Mac OS computer and format drive. GUID with one partition (make sure you select "master boot record" in the options button).

Install OS X from image or disk.

1. Mount image or insert disk.

2. Finder -> Go Menu -> Go To Folder

3. Enter this location: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages

4. Open (double click) OSInstall.mpkg

I removed printers and other things not needed you can customize it how you want.

After OS X install complete Run NetbookInstaller.app selecting the drive you just install OS X to only install general extensions and Chameleon 2.0 RC3. It will tell you you're on an unsupported computer just click ok. ( use the latest version. 0.8.4 RC1 has 10.6.1 support )

Copy this extensions.mkext to the Extra's folder of the OS X drive and let it overwrite all files.

In order to see the invisible "Extra's" folder, open Terminal in the Mac's Utilities folder and type in "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder" (just type in again and replace TRUE with FALSE to make them invisible again

The voodoohda.kext works with the voodoohda.prefpane that you will need to get the mic working. The OpenHaltRestart.kext that is needed to get shutdown & restarts and Bluetooth to work after sleep. Thanks jojitsu. This is the one for 10.6 - 10.6.1 you will need the one at the top of the guide for 10.6.2. Do not use that one until you are installing 10.6.2 or you will get a kernel panic on startup.

At this point you can connect the usb drive to your EeePC and boot it. Insert your USB drive and press the "ESC" button a few times AFTER you press the power button until you get the option to select the USB drive as the boot up machine. You can also press f2 after the power button to enter the BIOS settings and change the hard drive priority in there.

Make sure you reset your computers BIOS settings before doing this as I had all sorts of problems getting the machine to boot up properly (I also had no installed OS on the netbook before installing the MAC OS)

Run Disk Utility and format your Netbook's hard drive. I used 2 partitions so I could dual boot - 1 x 15GB MS-DOS FAT and 1 x 145GB MAC OS X journalled (with Master Boot record option selected).

Post Installation Steps:

In no particular order install these files.

IOBluetoothfamily.kext

VoodooHDA.prefpane

AttansicL1eEthernet.kext

Bluetooth will work on first boot but you may have problems turning the radio on and off. To fix that install the kext above. You can do this with either kexthelper or just copy it over the orginal and then run kext utility. Both tools are here. After installing this you will have to restart to see the results. After updating to 10.6.1 you will have to reinstall this file... this may happen after every future upgrade.

Ethernet will not work until you install the kext above. Use kexthelper then kext utility and then restart.

To install the VoodooHDA.prefpane just unzip and run file it will install in System Preferences. You can use this to tweek your audio settings including getting the mic to work. To make the mic work just make sure that the mic levels are something other than zero and the mic will work.

At this point you will have a fully working (minus wifi) 1000HE with OS X 10.6. BTW you can use apple updates to install 10.6.1 with no issues. UPDATE: See above you will have the reload the modify kext for BT again.

Use SuperDuper! to clone the hard drive onto the Mac Partition you created earlier. This shouldnt take longer than 15 mins.

Boot up from the USB again, press enter when it starts booting up and select the hard drive you just cloned to. You are now running the Mac OS from the netbook's hard drive! Make sure you run Netbook installer again to add the bootmaker to you can boot up without the usb drive attached.

You can now run the windows 7 installer ISO from your other computer using Microsoft's USB utility (see above) - boot up from that USB on the netbook once its done and install windows 7. Once Windows is installed it will auto boot into windows on startup, if you install EasyBCD you can choose the Mac OS partition as the default and tell it to ask you to choose an OS to boot from on startup - EASY! phew!

UPDATE (THANKS SO MUCH TO http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=228648 - LITTLE MAC EEE FOR THIS) - Final Step: Wireless

- Once your computer is completely booted, Navigate to the "Temporary" folder in Applications and double click on "STA_RT2860 D-1.2.2.0 UI-3.0.0.0_2010_05_18.dmg"

- Once the image has mounted, open the "10.5" folder and double click the "Install" pkg (as opposed to the Uninstall).

- It will warn you that you "may" need to configure some things in the Network section of System Preferences, and that's fine. Continue through and install the drive. This did not work the first time for me. A message that said the installer was unable to use a particular kext file came up near the end of the install, which prevented my wireless from working. What I did, which seemed to work, was I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it twice more, and the third time, though the install took long, it didn't complain about the kext file.

- Reboot, even if a message comes up saying that a new wireless interface was detected.

Open System Preferences and go to Network. There should be two interfaces there. If the Wireless Utility application now located in your Applications folder didn't automatically open up at start up, go to your applications folder and open it now. It should open to the "Site Survey" screen, and the thin box way at the bottom should change from "No Device!!" to "Disconnected." If it says "No Device!!" after a minute, then try rebooting and hitting F2 to go to the BIOS and change Boot Booster from disabled to Enabled. If -that- doesn't work, turn Boot Booster back off and try again.

Many thanks to MoonDogg's guide and all the efforts of every one of his followers. Great work!