ASUS MIO-AUDIO 888 AppleHDA for Snow Leopard & Possibly Lion

jaminmc

5 posts in this topic

For 10.6.8 or Lion (Untested) go to post 3

Ok, I have the Asus Z8PE-D12, which doesn't have a onboard soundcard, but it has the option for sound, which I have. So this MIO sound card is also for other Asus boards, and it has the ALC888 Codec in it.. So this should help others too....

I have this running using the AppleHDA.kext that is included with 10.6.6. I spent days figuring this out, as the VoodooHDA has a lot of noise, and in Final Cut, sometimes has audio delayed by a second or 2.

This is still a work in Progress, as I don't know how to correctly make the PathMaps in the AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist, but I used the codec dump prom Linux, and used Taurus's AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.app to make a leopard AppleHDA that I took the PathMaps from that. Once I had a working AppleHDA, I was able to take the sections and put them into the Legacy888HDA.kext. I like to keep my machine as Vanilla as possible. my AppleHDA is now the only non Vanilla Kext I have. I put the Vanilla one back, and I have a script that patches it for me. Now after another OS update (10.6.7 is coming), I will just have to run the script to get sound again.

If someone who knows how to correctly make PathMaps wants to modify them, I would be more than happy to help. My current ones do make a Line out(green), Digital out, and Headphones(Front). The headphones have to be manually selected to work... It also does a Line in. The Back I assume... Haven't tested it.

All you need to do is add this HDEF section to your DSDT.aml. My Motherboard didn't have any in it's DSDT. I put it after the "Device (GBE)". but it probably isn't that important where it is among the devices. If you are confused, you can download my EFI.zip that has my dsdt.aml in it.

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x08)
					{
						"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x88, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						}, 

"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 

"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x0F)
						{
							"Realtek ALC888"
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Then you will need to put the Legacy888HDA.kext in your /Extra/Extensions folder.

Then run "Patch AppleHDA.command" by double clicking it. It will ask for your password, as it needs Administrator rights.

Reboot, and you should be up and running.

Here it is...

MIO_Audio_888.zip

Now, anyone who wants to help me with better PathMaps, I have my whole EFI partition saved in the EFI.zip. I included my Codec dump.

EFI.zip

Also, Anyone with an Asus Z8PE D12, to get snow leopard up and running, on a seperate computer, install Snow Leopard, and then install the updates. (Was required, as the Kernel from 10.6.3 didn't like my dual 6 core Xeons) I used my macbook and a SATA to USB adapter to do it. Then I installed Chameleon on it. I use the EFI method. I can still hook up the drive to my mackbook, and boot it up! After Chameleon is installed, Just use all the files from my EFI.zip.

I have the ATI 5770 video card, and I haven't been able to get the HDMI audio to work, but that isn't a big deal to me. The boot file I use works great with my card. Also, The TotallyLegacy.kext has been updated to include Ethernet support too. So no modifying the network kext on your Snow Leopard.

I have this motherboard almost 100% working, as Seep is the only thing that doesn't work... Something I never used on my dual G5 anyways....

EDIT: OOps some how my attachements didn't get posted... I Fixed it.

• 3 months later...
Ok, I have the Asus Z8PE-D12, which doesn't have a onboard soundcard, but it has the option for sound, which I have. So this MIO sound card is also for other Asus boards, and it has the ALC888 Codec in it.. So this should help others too....

I have this running using the AppleHDA.kext that is included with 10.6.6. I spent days figuring this out, as the VoodooHDA has a lot of noise, and in Final Cut, sometimes has audio delayed by a second or 2.

This is still a work in Progress, as I don't know how to correctly make the PathMaps in the AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist, but I used the codec dump prom Linux, and used Taurus's AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.app to make a leopard AppleHDA that I took the PathMaps from that. Once I had a working AppleHDA, I was able to take the sections and put them into the Legacy888HDA.kext. I like to keep my machine as Vanilla as possible. my AppleHDA is now the only non Vanilla Kext I have. I put the Vanilla one back, and I have a script that patches it for me. Now after another OS update (10.6.7 is coming), I will just have to run the script to get sound again.

If someone who knows how to correctly make PathMaps wants to modify them, I would be more than happy to help. My current ones do make a Line out(green), Digital out, and Headphones(Front). The headphones have to be manually selected to work... It also does a Line in. The Back I assume... Haven't tested it.

All you need to do is add this HDEF section to your DSDT.aml. My Motherboard didn't have any in it's DSDT. I put it after the "Device (GBE)". but it probably isn't that important where it is among the devices. If you are confused, you can download my EFI.zip that has my dsdt.aml in it.

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			{
				Store (Package (0x08)
					{
						"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x88, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						}, 

"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 

"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x0F)
						{
							"Realtek ALC888"
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Then you will need to put the Legacy888HDA.kext in your /Extra/Extensions folder.

Then run "Patch AppleHDA.command" by double clicking it. It will ask for your password, as it needs Administrator rights.

Here it is...

MIO_Audio_888.zip

Now, anyone who wants to help me with better PathMaps, I have my whole EFI partition saved in the EFI.zip. I included my Codec dump.

EFI.zip

Also, Anyone with an Asus Z8PE D12, to get snow leopard up and running, on a seperate computer, install Snow Leopard, and then install the updates. (Was required, as the Kernel from 10.6.3 didn't like my dual 6 core Xeons) I used my macbook and a SATA to USB adapter to do it. Then I installed Chameleon on it. I use the EFI method. I can still hook up the drive to my mackbook, and boot it up! After Chameleon is installed, Just use all the files from my EFI.zip.

I have the ATI 5770 video card, and I haven't been able to get the HDMI audio to work, but that isn't a big deal to me. The boot file I use works great with my card. Also, The TotallyLegacy.kext has been updated to include Ethernet support too. So no modifying the network kext on your Snow Leopard.

I have this motherboard almost 100% working, as Seep is the only thing that doesn't work... Something I never used on my dual G5 anyways....

EDIT: OOps some how my attachements didn't get posted... I Fixed it.

Which CPU's are you using?

• 3 months later...

Here is a native audio solution for 10.6.8 and possibly Lion (Havent installed lion, but it uses the same AppleHDA structure)

Here is what needs to go into the DSDT. All you need to do is add this HDEF section to your DSDT.aml. My Motherboard didn't have any in it's DSDT. I put it after the "Device (GBE)". but it probably isn't that important where it is among the devices. If you are confused, you can download my EFI.zip that has my dsdt.aml in it. It is the same as my previous version, so if it is already there, no need to change it.

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			{
				Store (Package (0x08)
					{
						"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x88, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						}, 

"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 

"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x0F)
						{
							"Realtek ALC888"
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Then you will need to put the HDALC888.kext in your /Extra/Extensions folder where your bootloader is. I personally use the EFI partition of my main harddrive.

I have better pathmaps this time.. Almost fully working... Front headphone jack doesn't work. But it does have 3 line outs. So you can use it for 5.1 surround ;)

_MIO_Audio_888_10.6.8.zip

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...