[10.6] Boot gets frozen at "netkas presents fakesmc..." message

laz77

6 posts in this topic

Hello people,

I installed OS X 10.6 in a PC with an asrock G31M-S R2.0 motherboard and a Nvidia 7300 GT graphic card, but the boot process gets stuck with the following message: "netkas presents fakesmc, a kext which emulates smc device". These are my complete specs and setup:

Motherboard: Asrock G31M-S R2.0, as I said before

Processor: Core 2 Duo E7500

Graphics card: Nvidia 7300 GT

RAM: 4GB

First HDD (160 gb): windows and Linux

Second HDD (320 gb): First partition=HFS partition (200 mb, unused). Second partition: OSX (32.47 Gib). The remaining disk space is for data.

This was the procedure I followed: Burned the Empire EFI iso (v. 1.08) to a cd. Booted with this cd, replaced it with the OS X install dvd and made the installation from there. The installation went fine, the only thing is the installer was really slow to react to mouse clicks in some occasions. After the installation was complete I booted it with the empire EFI cd (selecting the OSX installation at the Empire EFI screen).

After this, I installed chameleon 2.0 RC4 as detailed in the readme file, created an "Extra" directory inside the OSX partition root directory (/). Then I copied smbios.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist and dsdt.aml (obtained from my linux install /proc/acpi/dsdt file). Then I copied the following kexts inside /Extra/Extensions: CPUInjector.kext, Disabler.kext, fakesmc.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, PlatformUUID.kext, SleepEnabler.kext and VoodooHDA.kext. After this, I fixed the permissions of /boot and /Extra/Extensions/* with chown and chmod. Now the problem is, if I try to boot my second HDD (where 10.6 is installed) from the mobo boot menu, I see the chameleon menu, but when I select the OSX partition, I see a lot of boot messages, but then it gets stuck with the message above ("netkas presents fakesmc, a kext which emulates smc device"). I'm not sure, but maybe there's something wrong with the files and kexts I used? (I took some of them from blackosx's guide, and others from the chameleon's support files, but maybe they're not meant for my specific hardware?)

Something worth mentioning: If I use the empire EFI cd, I can boot the OSX installtion, but I must wait about 5 minutes until the system is usable, since it doesn't respond to the mouse clicks for about this time interval (only movements). Once the system begins to respond, I can use it, but some times it gets stuck with no aparent reason for a while with the coloured thing spinning (mostly when copying files from one place to another or when handling files from an USB thumb drive, etc., but it's a rather random thing).

Any ideas about what could be wrong and how to fix it? :)

Thanks in advance!

• 5 weeks later...
Ok, this jam was caused by your mobo only? I have same problem now and I'm trying to find solutions from google and this forum. My mobo is Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-UD2H.

Hi, I'm not sure what caused this particular error; probably some kext missing, since I was not following a particular guide for my mobo, but a bunch of different guides. (Sorry if I can't be more helpful here, but I'm not sure what exactly causes this error message).

• 10 months later...

I am having the same issue with my motherboard, Biostar G31-M4. The problem didn't start occurring until I change the CPU. Originally I had installed Snow Leopard using a retail install method and nawcom's ModCD with a Celeron D 2.6 GHz CPU with a 533 MHz FSB. Then, once I fully patched the system to 10.6.8, I upgraded the CPU to a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz CPU with an 800 MHz FSB and Hyperthreading. I have not created a DSDT yet, so that can't be the issue. But with this new CPU, I get stuck at "netkas presents fakesmc". Anyone able to help?

• 2 years later...

I get the same problem using iATKOS S3 (snow leopard.)  I was able to install it fine, but when it boots up I get the netkas presents fakesmc kernel panic message.

My specs are these

CPU:

AMD A6-5200
Kabini 28nm Technology

Motherboard:

Hewlett-Packard 2139 (Socket FT1)

Graphics card:

Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
512MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 8400 (HP)

Keyboard:

Device Kind    Keyboard
Device Name    Standard PS/2 Keyboard