Alot of learning to do

The FNG

7 posts in this topic

Whats up OSX86 peeps! I was referred to this forum from a co-worker of mine. I purchased a psystar open pc before they were sued by Apple and shut down completely. It was back in 2008 Nov i got this. I know there must be lots of updates since then and my comp is probably old by now. It currently has a gigbyte board EP45-UD3P with a Intel Core2 Quad and 8GB DDR-2 running OSX 10.5.6... Old yes i know. But i'm afraid to update my software since the last times i did my video would {censored} out, my audio would too. Then i'd have my psystar peeps send me my new drivers to fix it. Now i dont have that option since they are not in existence anymore. I'm in the military and havent used this comp since January 2009.

My question i guess is how can i update my OSX without losing out. Or are they're new OSs i can use? My co-worker recommended OSX 10.5.11? But where can i get that? He says not to run 10.6.. Thx so much for all you willing to help me. Looking forward to being a great member on here.

Whats up OSX86 peeps! I was referred to this forum from a co-worker of mine. I purchased a psystar open pc before they were sued by Apple and shut down completely. It was back in 2008 Nov i got this. I know there must be lots of updates since then and my comp is probably old by now. It currently has a gigbyte board EP45-UD3P with a Intel Core2 Quad and 8GB DDR-2 running OSX 10.5.6... Old yes i know. But i'm afraid to update my software since the last times i did my video would {censored} out, my audio would too. Then i'd have my psystar peeps send me my new drivers to fix it. Now i dont have that option since they are not in existence anymore. I'm in the military and havent used this comp since January 2009.

My question i guess is how can i update my OSX without losing out. Or are they're new OSs i can use? My co-worker recommended OSX 10.5.11? But where can i get that? He says not to run 10.6.. Thx so much for all you willing to help me. Looking forward to being a great member on here.

I don't think there is a 10.5.11, your co-worker may be confusing Tiger which went to 10.4.11 and Leopard that has gone to 10.5.8. Why they would say not to go to 10.6.0--10.6.4 Snow Leopard I don't know. Is there a specific reason? Snow Leopard has a smaller footprint than Leopard, is faster and stable.

This search may help http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...now&spell=1 :D

Thanks for the help. :D

I have a Edimax EW-7728In wireless PCI card.This is why i bought it. It works for both Windows and Mac OS. If i upgrade to Snow Leopard how can i get it to be compatible? The drivers are only up to OS X 10.5. Also after installing it yesterday, the wireless utility stays open. I can hide it but when its time to shutdown my computer i have to hit control, option esc inorder to force it to close the wireless utility in order to shutdown. How can i fix that problem?

nMax Wireless 802.11n PCI Card for PC and Mac

• Complies with 2.4GHz IEEE802.11n Draft 2.0 and IEEE802.11g/b standards
  • Supports advanced 2T2R MIMO technology with data rate up to 300Mbps
  • Supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) configuration function
  • Supports 64/128-bit WEP encryption and WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK encryption
  • Support Windows XP/XP64/Vista/Vista64/2000/ Windows7, Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5

Thanks for the help. :)

I have a Edimax EW-7728In wireless PCI card.This is why i bought it. It works for both Windows and Mac OS. If i upgrade to Snow Leopard how can i get it to be compatible? The drivers are only up to OS X 10.5. Also after installing it yesterday, the wireless utility stays open. I can hide it but when its time to shutdown my computer i have to hit control, option esc inorder to force it to close the wireless utility in order to shutdown. How can i fix that problem?

I use the Ralink Wireless Utility on one of my Hacks (10.6.3) with no problem. Try repairing permissions and doing fsck -fy at start in single user mode. May be a problem with your system and not the utility.

Apparently those drivers (RT2860kext) will work in Snow but only in 32 bit mode. A search of the forum does show some problems with that card/chipset.

Whatever is on the motherboard. Also now after updating the OS.. I now have a bigger problem. My OS X keeps on saying it needs to be restarted hold down the power button etc etc. I have both harddrives with the same issue. I dont know how to recover my drives unless i had another harddrive with OSX inorder to backup the files already on them. Then just do a reinstall of OS X 10.5.6. Damn it...