Hang on boot (10.6.3 x58 SLi LE)

andrewenglish

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am a long time reader and first time poster. I know you guys here are overwhelmed with a bunch of people going "KERNEL PANIC!?!??!!?!!1112 WHAT DO I DO" and I'm really trying hard not to be that person. I can generally fix KP's and the like just by reading all the guides on the websites and such, but this one has me stumped, I didn't even know what to search for in order to solve it.

Here goes:

I installed iAtkos S3 (10.6.3) on my machine:

Evga X58 SLi LE

Core i7 @ 4 GHz

3GB GSkill 13333 DDR3

ATi HD4890 @ 1GHz

WD VelociRaptor @ 10,000 RPMs

2x 80GB seagate drives (OSX was installed on one of them)

BIOS:

HPET - enabled - 64 bit

Drives set to AHCI

Sleep set to S3

C1E/SpeedStep off

I forgot my BIOS rev, but if you need it I can post it up.

Through iAtkos I installed with default settings (fake smc, disabler, /extra, RTC) and video kexts, but I didn't install the sound kexts because the first time I tried them they didn't work. So, after the install, everything boots up fine, only an SMC error when I boot verbose. I get full graphics/quartz, etc. The only thing I don't have is sound. I can reboot as much as I want and it will start without issue. But, once I install a kext, I can't get back into the OS! Doesn't matter if the kext works or not, I simply cannot boot back into the OS! The boot just hangs (see attached picture please!) even after i delete the kext I just installed / repair permissions blah blah blah, I still can't get back into the OS. I'm stumped >:[.

Anyways, I would really appreciate any input, as I really want to get SL working here!

And now for the photo:

IMG_5947.jpg

Thanks,

Andrew