Pro Tools M-Powered 8 - iLok Issues

Midsyde

14 posts in this topic

First and foremost here are my computer specs

Motherboard - EVGA P55V

Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB DDR2

Processor - Intel Core i7 860

RAM - OCZ Technology 4GB DDR3

OS - Mac OSX 10.6.4 installed using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with original Mac OSX upgrade disc

Now the issue...

I created a Hackintosh to be my new work horse for music since I have been doing everything on a Powerbook G4 running 10.4.11. I used Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1 with a Fast Track Pro and had no problems, but I started seeing signs that the laptop was failing, and last week the logic board went....it's now a pretty paper weight. I got 6 years out of her so I am not too upset.

A couple days ago I purchased the Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.3 upgrade ($150) and installed it into my Hackintosh. The M-Audio Fast Track Pro works great with all the apps I have tried. The iLok is recognized by the computer.....BUT.....everytime I open up ProTools it says that the application needs to be authorized and when I click Authorize it says that no iLok has been plugged in.

- The iLok website doesn't recognize the iLok

- I have tried every USB port on the Hackintosh

- I updated the license on the iLok on my parents computer to Pro Tools 8. When plugged back into the Hack it still wasn't recognized.

- I have tried a couple different USB kexts, none of which change the results

- I have many other things plugged in via USB that work fine.

- I have installed all up-to-date iLok drivers from www.ilok.com

ANY help in trying to get this to work would be appreciated. I wish it was as simple as downloading a kext that would make it work. Unfortunately I haven't found anything. I have also heard that a PCIe (my motherboard doesn't have regular PCI) USB card might work.

Again any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

~ Mike

First and foremost here are my computer specs

Motherboard - EVGA P55V

Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB DDR2

Processor - Intel Core i7 860

RAM - OCZ Technology 4GB DDR3

OS - Mac OSX 10.6.4 installed using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with original Mac OSX upgrade disc

Now the issue...

I created a Hackintosh to be my new work horse for music since I have been doing everything on a Powerbook G4 running 10.4.11. I used Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1 with a Fast Track Pro and had no problems, but I started seeing signs that the laptop was failing, and last week the logic board went....it's now a pretty paper weight. I got 6 years out of her so I am not too upset.

A couple days ago I purchased the Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.3 upgrade ($150) and installed it into my Hackintosh. The M-Audio Fast Track Pro works great with all the apps I have tried. The iLok is recognized by the computer.....BUT.....everytime I open up ProTools it says that the application needs to be authorized and when I click Authorize it says that no iLok has been plugged in.

- The iLok website doesn't recognize the iLok

- I have tried every USB port on the Hackintosh

- I updated the license on the iLok on my parents computer to Pro Tools 8. When plugged back into the Hack it still wasn't recognized.

- I have tried a couple different USB kexts, none of which change the results

- I have many other things plugged in via USB that work fine.

- I have installed all up-to-date iLok drivers from www.ilok.com

ANY help in trying to get this to work would be appreciated. I wish it was as simple as downloading a kext that would make it work. Unfortunately I haven't found anything. I have also heard that a PCIe (my motherboard doesn't have regular PCI) USB card might work.

Again any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

~ Mike

I have the same setup for my tosh and am experiencing a similar problem with protools... i would like to see someone with a fix for this, I have seen people using protools on hackintosh's but none of them will respond to my messages or posts lol :)

I just came up with a potential solution to this iLok problem...

Would adding a USB 2.0 PCI/PCIe Card to the computer and plugging the iLok into it fix the computer not reading the iLok?

Isn't PCI read differently by the motherboard?

I found a couple for $10 online, but I would like a second opinion.

Thanks,

~ Mike

I dont know if I should post this in a new thread, but I intend to buy a Fast Track Pro to run Pro Tools in a hackintosh. Perhaps it would help Midsyde, DJ Zilos and me if someone can confirm that they can run Pro Tools 8 with a Fast Track Pro as an interface. And if not, what m-audio interfaces are known to run Pro Tools M-Powered 8.

I dont know if I should post this in a new thread, but I intend to buy a Fast Track Pro to run Pro Tools in a hackintosh. Perhaps it would help Midsyde, DJ Zilos and me if someone can confirm that they can run Pro Tools 8 with a Fast Track Pro as an interface. And if not, what m-audio interfaces are known to run Pro Tools M-Powered 8.

Please keep us up to date with how you solve this. I'm about to put together a hackintosh and the sole reason is for my studio computer. I've got several iloks and an elicense that have to work or there's no point in it for me. I also have a fast track pro for pro tools and i run a rosetta 800 for logic etc.

Please keep us up to date with how you solve this. I'm about to put together a hackintosh and the sole reason is for my studio computer. I've got several iloks and an elicense that have to work or there's no point in it for me. I also have a fast track pro for pro tools and i run a rosetta 800 for logic etc.

If you already have the Fast Track Pro and the PC built, you should do the tests to see if it works, because I wont buy the Fast Track until Im %100 sure it will work with a hackintosh, so there is no way I can do my own tests.

If you already have the Fast Track Pro and the PC built, you should do the tests to see if it works, because I wont buy the Fast Track until Im %100 sure it will work with a hackintosh, so there is no way I can do my own tests.

I have a Fast Track Pro and I know with the driver installed it works with all my audio editing programs. Ableton, iTunes, Garageband etc...

Whether or not it works with Pro Tools.....I am still waiting to get past the iLok stage to check that out lol.

NEW DEVELOPMENT

I noticed something VERY interesting...

When I plug in my "My Book" WD Hard drives they show up in the System Profiler in a list titled "USB High-Speed Bus" with a Host Controller Location of "Built-in USB"

BUT...

When I eject the hard drives and plug in my audio interface (M-Audio Fast Track Pro) or M-Powered iLok into the SAME USB port...the devices jump to a different list titled "USB Bus" which has a Host Controller Location of "Expansion Slot"

Going by this forum posting HERE

I think the problem is DSDT related.

UPDATE (8-12-10)

--------------------------------------------------------

USB Bus -

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBUHCI

Bus Number: 0x(number)(letter)

As opposed to

USB High-Speed Bus -

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI

Bus Number: 0xf(letter)

As you can see, the differences are ONE letter in the host controller driver, and the fact that the high speed bus number always has an f instead of a number.

Is this still a DSDT edit or a need for a different kext? Any more help would be appreciated.

Why don't you try buying a PCIe USB card? One that has mac drivers, I mean they are really cheap, there is little to lose.

I like where you head is at.

I am going to buy a cheap one online that is "Mac Pro" compatible.

If it doesn't fix the problem....I at least have more USB ports right?

I'll let you know how it works.

Do you think something like this one is worth trying?

My concern is it has no drivers and it's supposedly plug-n-play.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegro_express_usb.html

I like where you head is at.

I am going to buy a cheap one online that is "Mac Pro" compatible.

If it doesn't fix the problem....I at least have more USB ports right?

I'll let you know how it works.

Do you think something like this one is worth trying?

My concern is it has no drivers and it's supposedly plug-n-play.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegro_express_usb.html

Well, the idea for it to have mac drivers was so it wouldn't need additional kexts, but honestly I don't know, I'm not tech savvy enough to make any recommendations. Wish someone with more knowledge would help.

I agree. I wish someone with more knowledge would lend their expertise.

After extensive searching I found a card thats cost effective, 10.6 compatible, requires drivers, and is by a reputable company. Only this is it's also got eSATA on it...not sure if that would make a big difference or not.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11453

PROBLEM SOLVED.

M-POWERED PRO TOOLS 8.0 with iLok is COMPATIBLE with Hackintosh Snow Leopard computers!

It was not a need for a PCIe USB Card, but a change in the DSDT of the computer.

Here is the link to the forum where the great Humph solved the problem.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4475

CASE CLOSED.