creating hfs+ partition on windows 7 drive?

CrAkD

3 posts in this topic

I had a hard drive with 2 windows boot partitions. windows 7 and tiny xp. Snow leopard is on a second drive. I wanted to format the tiny xp partition as HFS+ as a second drive to use in osx. I tried using disk utility. but after choosing erase and format as HFS+ the entire drive just disappeared in osx. then the computer wouldnt boot. I used the windows 7 install disk to repair windows startup and got it booting again. I deleted the partition in windows 7 now its just free space but OSX disk utility wont touch it without repartitioning and formatting the entire drive. any way I can do this without destroying my windows 7 partition on the same drive?

There's probably a way to do this using fdisk and newfs in OS X; however, I'm not very familiar with either tool, so I can't provide specific details. You could look into these tools (type "man fdisk" and "man newfs" at a text-mode command prompt, or do a Web search).

Alternatively, you could try using a Linux emergency disc, such as Parted Magic or System Rescue CD. These tools include a GUI partitioning utility called GParted that will certainly be able to create an appropriate partition and that will probably be able to set it up as HFS+. (If one of these tools lacks HFS+ support, try the other one.)

I just wanna thank you man. Parted magic worked. Everyone else I had asked told me I had to just format the drive and restore images. But Parted magic took 2 seconds and now its all good to go! so thank you!