UPDATE: Saturday 1st of October, 2011
ok so it's been over a year since i've been on here and i basically sat on 10.6.4 because it was working just fine. hackintosh has been running great EXCEPT for sleep and i just didn't bother tackling it any further because it isn't exactly a life-death need lol...
with the release of BF3 on PC (which i play in my windows partition), i've decided to upgrade my video card to a GTX580 (haven't installed yet) and thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade to Lion.
process was all done in a span of just 2hrs or so and could not have been anymore easy!!! i was considering a fresh install but because so many people (hack and real apple) have been going the route of UPDATE to Lion, i thought i'd give it a go.
- upgraded my MBP to 10.6.8 and purchased Lion (download) from app store
- downloaded Kakewalk 4.1 (thanks for such an amazing product) and created a kakewalk USB. took a few tries but I found that if i mounted a COPY of the install DMG from within the Lion app first, then createad the kakewalk USB from the original Lion install app, then the USB install wouldn't bomb out (it was complaining about unmounting the USB).
- i then performed the 10.6.8 update on my hackintosh, then applied kakewalk 4.1 to the HDD before rebooting.
- made sure everything was all hunky dory and confirmed again that my backups were all functioning.
- updated my BIOS to version FF (found some thread that had the FF bios DSDT but havent applied yet). this reset all my BIOS settings so i made sure they were all correct again.
- rebooted and booted off the kakewalk USB. ran the Lion install and installed it to my main system drive. left the install going for a while and came back to find the login screen.
- it finished at the login screen, so i logged in and immediately ran the kakewalk app again and applied it to the HDD. rebooted again just to make sure its ok to boot by itself.
- performed the 10.7.1 update and of course, applied kakewalk 4.1 to the HDD again before rebooting.
everything seems to be running fine now. i previously had issues with sleep and i havent tested it yet... but it seems that sleep has been resolved for a lot of people with the rev 2.0
of the X58A-UD3R board, so finger's crossed!
next thing to tackle is swapping out my GTX285 for my new GTX580. need to research a bit but it SEEMS that it should be straight forward and just a direct swap???UPDATE: A little later...
damnit, i just installed a 10.7.x sleepenabler kext into /e/e/ but failed to read other threads that it causes kernel panics with 10.7.1.
also, didnt know i could use install disc to open up terminal to simply delete the kext. instead, im now re-running the Lion install/update all over again
ahwell, lesson learned! no sleepenabler yet for 10.7.1!