i7-930 / GA-EX58-UD5 / NVIDIA -- Kakewalk, BIOS, & DSDT Fixes

84 posts in this topic

So I have disabled sleep, and everything works fine when I need it to.

No KPs, stable system, and tons of power for doing website design work (which is why I splurged on this system).

And I've had so many contracts lately that I haven't had time to fix the sleep issue...

hopefully someone somewhere has figured it out and there's more stuff specific to this CPU by now?

It's really annoying not being able to use sleep, because the computer still generates a lot of heat (idling at 48-52° C right now according to iStatMenu...). In the NC summer that's just not ok to leave on overnight. So I have to turn it on and off all the time, instead of putting it to sleep. Even if I manually sleep though, it wakes up with at least one core completely locked up, and frequently the BSOD.

Anyway, that's my update. Wanted to let folks know what the final (for now) result of all this was.

I'm not too upset really, even with an imperfect system. Could have gone with that really great new iMac,

but in the end I built something a little bit more powerful, for a bit less money, and in the future when I want to upgrade it I'll have a lot of the components I'll need.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my system stable. Edited my DSDT file to get audio working. Sleep is fine. Was having some KP's but I think it's related to the overclock - 40C at idle and 62C under load at 3.8Ghz. Pushing onto 4.2 soon.

My last issue is getting eSATA hotswap working - right now I have to reboot, which is a PITA.

Hi all,

I'm posting this from my new HackPro!

I haven't posted on InsanelyMac yet, but I was a silent listener/reader for about the past two months. I've been absorbing as much as I could within a short amount of time - I found REALLY sweet deals and had to do research to make sure I should jump on parts that would be compatible (e.g. NebraskaBoy - your listed parts pretty much was a vision/guide/template - I found that same EVGA NVIDIA card for $85-90, the i7-930 processor for $200). To get to the point: I spent a bunch of time reading...but in the end I just took the dive and went in! My parts are really identical to NebraskaBoys, cpu, gpu, mobo. my ram is slightly different - Corsair XMS3 from microcenter http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0321071

I digress...

My HackPro works like a dream....no better yet...its beyond that. I've have some small hang ups when the system was trying to restart after some installs but that was the 3rd - 4th day and I wasn't too concerned since those were isolated incidents.

My system idles at 97-99F/36-37C,

I added d00d's DSDT file but I really didn't see the need to? My system was fine as it was...actually I don't even know if I correctly placed it in, haha! Was I just supposed to swap the DSDT.aml file found in /Extra with the one from d00d's thread? lemme know if there was more to it...I also followed steps 6 & 7 (if my memory serves me right...) it was like some minor text change in some plist file and changing MacPro to say MacPro4,1 instead of MacPro3,1

Yes, pretty much it was just - start with Kakewalk (via a boot CD from the img file), installed Mac OS X 10.6.3 [i'm currently on 10.6.4 - the upgrade worked flawlessly], crossed my fingers, no KPs, no BSOD on boot, backed up the system on TimeMachine, installed some software...did a swap for d00d's DSDT.aml...installed more software...everything has been working smoothly...video, LAN, sound, sleep, restarting, dual screen (DVI & HDMI from the vid card)...

Only two issues (very minor):

- Boot screen is stretched out...even though in the "com.apple.Boot.plist" I put in my screen res. of 1920x1080 setting [23" HD 1080p monitor], like such:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1080x32</string>

logo still looks stretched...

I'm looking for that damn apple logo so I can photoshop it.... *sigh* =T

- I bought a wi-fi card for $30 bucks, but that was a waste...I spent the most time trying to get that to work...swapped out the IO80211Family.kext with one I found from the kext site, and tried others from threads relating to the wi-fi card...I ended up getting close - the AirPort was showing finally, and I got some connectivity but after about 1-2 minutes of use, the system would freeze and I would get that very nice Apple notice telling me to hold down the power switch for 4 seconds.

I just said "screw it" and ended up using a ethernet since the ethernet works w/o any tweaks.

My apologies on the long drawn out story of what happened...this essentially sums up this Hack-a-Mac's launch.

And now for the credits....

Newegg:

PSU:Antec PSU 550W Power Supply

CASE/DVD:Antec 900 Case+Free DVD Combo Drive

MOTHERBOARD: Openbox GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 X58 RTL - OEM $221.11

Microcenter:

CPU Core i7-930 Processor Boxed

RAM 6GB DDR3, 1600MHz 3x240 DIMM, Unbuffered, 9-9-9-24, XMS3

GPU GeForce 9800GT 1024MB

Amazon:

CPU FAN Noctua for Intel CPU Cooler NH-U12P SE2 $65.95

Primary HDD Western Digital 640GB Black SATA 7200RPM/64MB Cache (6gb/s was not necessary)

Secondary HDD Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache $129.99

OSx Snow Leopard - DVD

MONITOR- Two ASUS VH235T-P 23-Inch Wide LCD Monitor $184.86

• 3 weeks later...

Everything is up and working great, except for one thing: eSATA hotplug. Does anyone know of a kext I can load to get my external HDs to be recognized when I plug them in, rather than having to reboot? All I have now is the JMicronATA kext that Kakewalk threw in there...

I still haven't fixed all the problems from before, and I discovered a new problem when trying to use the 2nd DVI-out on my graphics card (plugged my main monitor into it on accident).

But I've hit a point where I'm willing to risk a few things, so I'm going to do a complete backup, wipe my main disk, and then start from scratch again.

We'll see where that gets me. It'll be a big pain to re-install apps and such, but it'll be worth it if I can ever get a stable vanilla system.

Incidentally, anyone up to 10.6.4 ? I haven't done it yet.

I still haven't fixed all the problems from before, and I discovered a new problem when trying to use the 2nd DVI-out on my graphics card (plugged my main monitor into it on accident).

But I've hit a point where I'm willing to risk a few things, so I'm going to do a complete backup, wipe my main disk, and then start from scratch again.

We'll see where that gets me. It'll be a big pain to re-install apps and such, but it'll be worth it if I can ever get a stable vanilla system.

Incidentally, anyone up to 10.6.4 ? I haven't done it yet.

I've done the 10.6.4 upgrade without any problem :(.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a friend who has GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 1.0) with Core i7 930 & NVIDIA 9600 GT 1GB graphic card.

I installed retail Snow Leo with Kakewalk 2.2 CD with the selection of GA-X58A-UD7 option as all other commenters say.

Everything went fine. But the graphical performance is very poor (I'm sure that QE-CI works and the card is recognized correct in the system properties section but...)! Infact, I have a GA-X58A-UD7 (rev. 1.0) system as my signature shows, with the two of the same graphic card and it works like a charm. All desktop effects etc.

What is the problem? What should I do with it? d00d's instructions about the DSDT fixes seems to be related with EX58A-UD5, not for GA-X58A-UD5.

By the way, the sound never worked neither with UD7 (ALC889) nor UD5 (ALC889) & firewire port works laggy for my soundcard (TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48). Even at the end of fresh install (Snow Leopard 10.6.0).

Both the systems are updated to 10.6.4

What should I do? Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. >> Both the mobos were updated to the latest BIOS versions via Windows 7 before the OSX86 installation and are working in 32 bit mode (64-bit kernel extensions are off).

BIOS version for the UD5 >>> F5

BIOS version for my UD7 >>> F6

EDIT : I found a way to handle the on board intel ALC889 sound. Here's my post of how to:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1539685