Installed SL, but missing components on installed volume

44 posts in this topic

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid here, but I managed to make a valid bootup volume to install SL. It went through the entire installation process (though it did give me the install failed message at the end which I know happens).

However, there is no Extra folder. There is no 'boot' file in the root directory. I'd imagine it has the vanilla kernel (I had a modified one for a Pentium D processor on the installation volume).

I tried manually adding these files, but to no avail. When I turn on the machine it just locks up right after the bios finishes loading. Not even a kernel panic.

Did I miss some very obvious step here?

You have to boot the installation volume and in the Chameleon screen choose to start the installed system.

With the installed system running you have to install Chameleon on it (like you did to create the installation volume) and copy the needed kexts and kernel.

I did it somewhat haphazardly as no 'out of the box' instructions worked. I used Chameleon and PC_EFI. And a Mach_kernel modified for Pentium D. I used an IOATAFamily kext I found online since the built in one didn't work. Getting it to boot without a kernel panic just took a lot of bits and pieces from different places.

I mean, in theory, if it boots into the installer it should boot into the OS, right? If I take the S/L/E folder with whatever mkext is in there and replace the HD's S/L/E folder, and boot the installer's kernel and Extra folder into the HD, shouldn't it boot as well?

I mean, in theory, if it boots into the installer it should boot into the OS, right? If I take the S/L/E folder with whatever mkext is in there and replace the HD's S/L/E folder, and boot the installer's kernel and Extra folder into the HD, shouldn't it boot as well?

Right, but it should not be necessary to copy S/L/E from installer to HD, just the Extra/Extensions and install Chameleon to the HD.

One detail here, if you used the GUID scheme to partition the HD, Chameleon installation will be a little different, you should install it to the EFI partition, as well as the Extra folder. Take a look at this topic, it's for Leopard but the procedure is mostly the same in Snow Leopard

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209712

You can use Empire EFI (boot CD) to boot into your installed system.

That all makes sense - except for one thing. The drive I installed into only has one GUID partition - no EFI partition. so am I f'd? Should I repartition with one for EFI?

Also, is there any benefit to using Empire EFI versus the the installer bootup volume? It doesn't seem Empire is compatible with Pentium D processors.

It seems if I manually install Chameleon using terminal, move over the Extra folder, and the hacked mach_kernel it should in theory work.

Did you partition the HD using disk utility? It always makes the EFI partition. If you really don't have it (the Mac partition on HD is disk0s1) maybe it works if you install Chameleon (fdisk boot0 to disk0, dd boot1h to disk0s1 and copy boot to /) and copy the Extra folder and hacked kernel. I did and it worked, the difference is that I use MBR partition.

Actually there's no benefit to using Empire EFI, I just suggested it because you said the installer volume doesn't boot the HD. What happens if you copy the hacked kernel to the HD root (boot in verbose mode)?

Did you partition the HD using disk utility? It always makes the EFI partition. If you really don't have it (the Mac partition on HD is disk0s1) maybe it works if you install Chameleon (fdisk boot0 to disk0, dd boot1h to disk0s1 and copy boot to /) and copy the Extra folder and hacked kernel. I did and it worked, the difference is that I use MBR partition.

Actually there's no benefit to using Empire EFI, I just suggested it because you said the installer volume doesn't boot the HD. What happens if you copy the hacked kernel to the HD root (boot in verbose mode)?

Originally it didn't boot the HD, but I fixed that - thus able to install it. Phew.

If I copy the hacked kernel, but not chameleon or any other files, I get a kernel panic when loading it from the chameleon boot part from the installer, if that makes sense.

If I boot right into the HD, it locks at the end of loading the BIOS.

Strange, looks like it's the vanilla kernel, at least it has the same compile date.

Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:46:25 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Did you put the hacked mach_kernel in the same partition you installed Chameleon's 'boot' file?

Try renaming the hacked kernel to something else, like mach_kernel.legacy, and when you select the HD in Chameleon, type the kernel name before pressing enter.

mach_kernel.legacy -v

Strange, looks like it's the vanilla kernel, at least it has the same compile date.

Did you put the hacked mach_kernel in the same partition you installed Chameleon's 'boot' file?

Try renaming the hacked kernel to something else, like mach_kernel.legacy, and when you select the HD in Chameleon, type the kernel name before pressing enter.

mach_kernel.legacy -v

I gave that a shot but it is definitely the hacked one. The original kernel causes a reboot loop. I tested it and put that in as mach_kernaloe. It does cause the loop. Then I run mach_kernelpd and it gives the same panic.

Could this be a kext issue? I did regenerate an mkext, though perhaps I did it wrong? There was no extensions.mkext in /S/L.

There still is none in /E/E....

Also, if I erase /Extra, I get the exact same kernel panic.

There's no /S/L/Extensions.mkext in Snow Leopard, it's in /S/L/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

and in /Extra it's not necessary.

I would suggest to try another hacked kernel, but if this one works in the installer it should work in the system as well.

Did you repair the kexts permissions? And boot ignoring cache? ("-f")

Do you have to pass "arch=i386" argument to Chameleon or it's default for the hacked kernel?

I've tried all of those to no avail. I've also tried recreating the mkext, but it simply tells me each kext is not authentic, and it is omitting it.

I've googled the hell out of this and no one seems to have a solution.

I figured if this kernel and those extensions worked in the boot volume it should work on my installed HD. It's so vexing.

Can you kindly explain to me how my system right now knows to look in /E/E? Isn't it the mkext that is generated using that folder? Because right now, I don't think that mkext exists.

Chameleon looks in /E/E even if there's no mkext in /E, it's not necessary.

What command did you use to create Extensions.mkext in /Extra? I would do this

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

How did you install Chameleon to the HD, and what version are you using?

Chameleon looks in /E/E even if there's no mkext in /E, it's not necessary.

What command did you use to create Extensions.mkext in /Extra? I would do this

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

How did you install Chameleon to the HD, and what version are you using?

I'm using: Chameleon-2.0-RC1-r431-bin

I installed it with this:

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1

Just ran that kextcache. Still panics.

This is brutal! Thanks for your patience.

I think you need RC3 to boot Snow Leopard.

Did you use RC1 in the installer?

Try installing Chameleon 2.0 RC3 to the HD.

Good news and bad.

Good: I think that did it. It definitely got further and gave me a new kernel panic concerning IOATAFamily.kext. I think this is due to a duplicate copy of it being in /S/L/E. I had a modified one in /E/E. I went in and erased the copy in SLE, and rebuilt the mkext. I rebooted and...

The bad:

The hard drive just failed. It clicks a few times and the system can't see it. Do you believe that?! I'll pick up another drive tomorrow.

Alright! Some progress. The new HD is in. I've got it booting without kernel panic. It does lock on 'waiting for root device' which is solved with rd=disk0s2. What has me stumped is it locks at:

"launch_msg(): socket is not connected"

I searched a lot and didn't find anything with an answer.

I'm hopeless. I know. Any ideas?

Thanks.

You have to boot the HD, with or without the USB attached should be indifferent (if HD is first boot in BIOS). Anyway I would disconnect USB.

Remember when you tried to install and the installer didn't see your HD?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=210794

The message "still waiting for root device" may have the same cause, you need the proper AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext in /E/E and rebuild or remove cache.

If it still doesn't work you can try adding the Mac partition UUID to kernel flags in com.apple.Boot.plist file.