Need driver for USB RS232 converter

adriankoooo

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I bought a very cheap usb-rs32 converter on ebay, but it is doesnt work with mac.. ;)

Type: hl-340

chipset: ch341/ch340

USB2.0-Ser!:

Product ID: 0x7523

Vendor ID: 0x1a86

Version: 2.54

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Location ID: 0x06200000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

I found Linux drivers, but nothing for Mac Os X.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

I have been working on a Mac driver for this cable, and it works reasonably well for me (G5, 10.4.6).

I also wrote an app to access the adapter cable directly, basically a bare bones terminal program for this adapter solely.

If your willing to try beta software, check "http://www.staarcom.com/software/"

Please check your email address.

• 7 months later...
Hello,

I have been working on a Mac driver for this cable, and it works reasonably well for me (G5, 10.4.11).

I also wrote an app to access the adapter cable directly, basically a bare bones terminal program for this adapter solely.

If your willing to try beta software, check "http://www.staarcom.com/software/"

But do you have some source available. I have a chip ch341 with something behind it.

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Right now, one of the best drivers (best meaning free/works but has some bugs on 10.6) is the PL-2303 USB

From what I understand, there are three main chipsets for the 232<->usb converters and the most common/most used is this. Prolific, last I checked, did not update their side but there is a working fork on github of the kext im using right now on GitHub.

I'm unaware of the status with the others and also have never used a chipset beyond this. I only mention the chipset here because if you go and look at the 20-50 on NewEgg, most will have this.