Trouble Mouting/Formating Partition

killians31

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have been prepping my laptop (Asus G50v) for the installation of OSX 10.6. I seem to be having some issues when trying to format, or even mount my primary partition in which i set aside for OSX. When i format the partition to extended journaled file system (HFS+), it still says that the partition is a MS-DOS file system... Strangely enough, when i boot into Gparted, i see the partition as HFS+.

I am currently running four different operating systems, here is my partition table:

sda1 | Windows Seven

--------sda2-----------

sda5 | /boot Ubuntu

sda6 | /Ubuntu

sda7 | /boot Fedora

sda8 | /Fedora

sda9 | /Backtrack

-------------------------

sda3 | Shared Drive

sda4 | Snow Leopard

Could it be that the partition in which i set aside for Snow Leopard is so far away from the MBR, that it doesnt want to work?

I currently have the retail_disc.dmg file on a portable hard drive (which disc utility recognizes, and will mount).

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben

In Ubuntu, try using the fdisk utility to set the partition type code of /dev/sda4 to 0xAF, then use the Linux mkfs.hfsplus utility to put an HFS+ filesystem on it. In theory, Mac OS should then be happy with it. (You might want to enable journaling from within Mac OS, though.)