p4p800 se -> iDeneb 1.4 -> SUCCESS + questions

igomac

1 post in this topic

Hi there! My first osX86 experience and my first posting here.

I am starting with questions:

1. Why am i getting wrong keyboard layout (a number of keys are not where they shoulda) using any existing russian template? I just googled for Ukelele and builded myself what i needed, still wondering. My phisycal keyboard is ps2 and i did not use any fix for it - could it be the case? Also alt and command keys are swapped, but i fixed it in preferences.

2. Should i try to install Leo retail while using non-vanilla kernel? Will i be able to safely update my system directly from Apple update? As far as i understand - kernel fix can be somehow injected at boot now, right? If generally yes - i'll dig for needed info, if no - i ll build me some more compatible box in the near future.

3. Could someone, possibly, help me with a Cider wrapper for "Perfect World" MMO? It is all about to configure wine, i d guess, but i am lacking knowledge and time. I am failing to get launcher to start so far, using the wrapper from EVE online. And this game is the only reason i am still booting Windows once a day. I will try with Crossover wrapper (they have PW listed with silver badge), and post here if i got some luck.

Now about my system:

P4P800 SE + intel4 SSE3 + 4 times 512 MB DDR RAM + ATI radeon HD 2600 XT agp (saphire) + Asus WL-138g V2 802.11g Wireless + IDE HDD (2 of them, one is 1,8 micro ide with adapter) + IDE DVD + PS2 keyboard and mouse + Logitech Webcam

BIOS: apparently no changes were needed, but to be sure i followed general advises from the web. I also disabled every device i would never use, like onboard lan, parallel port etc.

IDE: osX86 on my first master, first slave was planned for windows + linux/swap + shared (FAT32) partitions, second master shoulda be DVD. But second slave suddenly died, old beast, and i used 1,8 micro ide from some dead netbook with adapter as second master and DVD is currently slave. As soon as i get some normal hdd i ll go for what was planned. Disk Utility hanged sometimes, losing my dvd. It could be caused by the faulty hdd, mentioned above, but also it could be because dvd is not a lonely master on this port. I ll post how it looks like yet in a couple days.

iDeneb 1.4: i have chosed SSE3 kernel (voodoo was causing panic). Then i took older SMBIOS to be sure (default Netkas seemed to be working too), seatbelt and dmg-reboot fixes. ICHx chipset. My video was listed, so i took it and it works flawlessly. AC'97 sound. Nothing was chosen for wireless because of Asus WL-138g V2 - i bought it with osX in mind (automatically recognized as 3-d party airPort). Webcam was also auto-recognized and greeted me already at user-screen and my network Samsung ML-3471ND printer just waited there to be used without any installation needed.

All took about maybe 10 installs with some testing inbetween. No more then 2 days till i had an amasingly stable system with everything i need, including MAMP. And i really love it. I was always looking for something inbetween of 2 worlds - the M$ and Nix. Like nix-based Windows. The answer is Mac. And it is even better as i could imagine. I would never want to use Windows as my desktop again, i fear. And everything i liked about linux/BSD is just there.

I go Mac.