SL on GigaByte GA-X48-DS4

=Velocity=

15 posts in this topic

Hi all

I'm a complete n00b with OS X, but having followed blackocx (thanks blackocx) guide here is was able to get my GigaByte GA-X48-DS4 (BIOS f3b) running well and stable with SnowLeopard 32bit and 64bit kernels.

I patched a DSDT.aml file, and have graphics on my NV 8500GT working really well, and also networking working perfectly. The only problem remaining is, i have no sound (ALC889A).

I have checked and rechecked my DSDT.aml file, and everything looks fine, but still no sound in either 32bit or 64bit.

I also tried this ALC889A.kext but that doesn't work either. I placed it in my extras/extensions folder and rebooted, but still no sound. Do i have to install that kext file in some way? Or should it work by just placing it my extras/extension folder?

Any help on this would be fantastic.

I finally got this board working 100% with Snow Leopard, including audio, now :)

I followed blackocz's guide 100% so i don't see much point in writing a guide for this particular board.

The only thing i changed was my original DSDT.aml file using koalala's (Windows) DSDT patcher. The only problem with this patcher is, selecting the ALC889A audio doesn't work on the GA-X48-DS4. After re-patching to an .aml file WITHOUT patching the audio, i was able to install the VoodooHDA.kext file to get audio working.

This should also work with the GigaByte GA-X48-DS5.

post-481161-1252195882_thumb.jpg

I'm so glad for you.

GA-X48-DS ppl Unite ! ;) (Don't see ot hear from too many ppl with these boards)

Do you think you could post your DSDT.aml ? I think it should be pretty much the same as mine.

The farthest I've managed to get was just before the Welcome Video. Only in 32bit. At 64 I got an immediate KP.

I think I've REALLY tried everything...Maybe it's my .aml file, although you say you've managed to boot with a wrongly patched file.

Maybe you could post the kext's you used as well ?

BTW, do you have full 5.1 surround sound - are ALL your analogue outputs recognized ?

Here is the aml file i used, but it's configured for an nVidia 8500GT with 256MB of ram.

Also included is the kexts i used.

I only have 2 speakers fitted, so no idea if all outputs are working.

Run the kext utility in my pack. I had similar PANIC problems when i first installed. It was fixed with this utility which rebuilt the kext cache.

GA_X48_DS4_SL_pack.zip

Awesome. I have a X48-DS5 board too. Excited to try it. The closest I can get was a kernel panic. I don't think I have the correct DSDT.aml file. I am glad the VoodooHDA.kext worked. Will post my result later. Thanks.

Here is your aml file (GA-X48-DS5 [bIOS F7]).

@DrDrumm

I just left the "helper" with the kext files.

dsdt.aml.zip

Thank you so much.

I've already managed to do the DSDT on my own - used it with 10.5.8 - So far with satisfying results. I tried to remove Disabler.kext and it worked fine, but cpu temp monitor showed about 10 degrees hotter and the fans worked harder, so I put it back in the Extra/Extnsions folder.

Now to boot into Snow Leo and try to fix the audio ;)

OK.

It's really weird, but using my DSDT with MY Graphics card patched in there + the audio and the Lan - exactly as the guide said - Yields 1024x768 res with no hardware acceleration and no audio and no network.

When I used YOUR DSDT it (Snow) booted much faster and I had GFX acceleration, but it recognized it as your model 8500GT 256 and not as mine 8800GTS 512. + I still didn't have Audio and Network and when I tried to add the Psystar Realtek1000.Kext - It didn't even load it.

I'm gonna try using yours with my 10.5.8. to see it if it works better.

Also, The DSDT that you've prepared using my Bios - It's not patched, right ?

Thanks for the aml file. I just tried, it hangs at waitForService error. I don't know what could possibly be wrong. Maybe there is something I didn't do right? Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Here is your aml file (GA-X48-DS5 [bIOS F7]).

@DrDrumm

I just left the "helper" with the kext files.

post-95336-1252369626_thumb.jpg

It's probably best that you build your own aml files, systems may vary.

The aml files i created were patched for Lan port 1 for example.

Also to get full graphics support on a card, you need to "tick" the PEGP option in the graphics section of the Windows DSDT patcher.

Yes. I learned that myself.

You need 2 different DSDT's : One for leopard, With PEGP unchecked and the other for Snow with PEGP checked.

I have made a good DSDT for Snow (I think :P ) and a good one for Leopard. My video card is 8800 GTS 512MB.

I'm using this one with 10.5.8 :

Leopard_DSDT.rar

This is for Snow Leopard :

Snow_Leopard_DSDT__With_PEGP_.rar

Still don't know how to get network and sound (although in system profiler I see all my audio inputs and outputs like in Leopard).

Yes. I learned that myself.

Still don't know how to get network and sound (although in system profiler I see all my audio inputs and outputs like in Leopard).

re sound,

i used the com.apple.Boot.plist method to add a sound driver (along with the nvidia gx8800 graphics card)

then don't forget to look at the osx control panel. with my sound card if it recognises the card the audio doesn't work to begin with because the output is set to the wrong device. i have to choose line 1 or similar to get the audio to work.

i have a Gigabyte p45 ds4 motherboard. compatibility has been good aside from a few random cmos resets and some unexplained kernel panics...

i am at work at the moment, so don't have specifics but PM me if you want more help.

pete

• 2 weeks later...