[FIXED] Won't boot after successful install - 8600 GT the culprit?

3 posts in this topic

[uPDATE]-- It wasn't the graphics. It was my 1.5TB hard drive. See new topic here.

I have tried a number of guides, tutorials, etc. as well as searched on all of my kernel panics during attempted boot of SL. I've tried EFI Boot Strings for the 8600GT 256, DSDT.aml, and I still keep panicking. I've resolved that it is surely a graphics issue, but why/how?

Anyone having similar difficulties?

I've gotten different kernel panics in different situations, namely "cpu(s) configured incorrectly\n" etc. when I have entered EFI strings. If I don't have the EFI strings in com.apple.boot.plist, I get a panic ending in "phywaitforautonegotiation"-- apparently, whatever loads after this is what causes the panic, and according to the research I've done, this is also a graphics issue.

So, the question is, does anybody here have an 8600 GT 256mb card working and booting SL? How did you do it? And what is your motherboard? I have GA-P35-DS3L; rest of specs are in signature.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies. I have taken care to research this as much as I can before posting; I'm going on my third straight day of trying to boot this Snow kitty. I love this community; I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this!

I have tried a number of guides, tutorials, etc. as well as searched on all of my kernel panics during attempted boot of SL. I've tried EFI Boot Strings for the 8600GT 256, DSDT.aml, and I still keep panicking. I've resolved that it is surely a graphics issue, but why/how?

Anyone having similar difficulties?

I've gotten different kernel panics in different situations, namely "cpu(s) configured incorrectly\n" etc. when I have entered EFI strings. If I don't have the EFI strings in com.apple.boot.plist, I get a panic ending in "phywaitforautonegotiation"-- apparently, whatever loads after this is what causes the panic, and according to the research I've done, this is also a graphics issue.

So, the question is, does anybody here have an 8600 GT 256mb card working and booting SL? How did you do it? And what is your motherboard? I have GA-P35-DS3L; rest of specs are in signature.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies. I have taken care to research this as much as I can before posting; I'm going on my third straight day of trying to boot this Snow kitty. I love this community; I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this!

I've got an 8600 GT 256MB (EP45-UD3R mobo). I just use the standard EFI string generated by EFI Studio. The only thing I notice from your specs is the overclocking. Perhaps that has something to do with it???

I've got an 8600 GT 256MB (EP45-UD3R mobo). I just use the standard EFI string generated by EFI Studio. The only thing I notice from your specs is the overclocking. Perhaps that has something to do with it???

I turned everything back to stock in order to do the installation. I guess here's the big question-- do you use a DSDT.aml file at all? I'm really starting to wonder if that has anything to do with my problem. Any chance you could post your com.apple.boot.plist and I could compare the two? Thanks a bunch for the reply.

I also now have 8GB of RAM, and I'm booting from a 1.5 TB hard drive. I wonder if that has anything to do with it either... back to search the forums...