FCP 5 not launching properly

kourosawa

1 post in this topic

So I tried searching for a thread similar to my query but I can't seem to find out. First off, let me give you guys a few details about my background. I'm an aspiring independent film maker and my classification is in set design. During my spare time I try to learn how to use FCP. I have been using FCP 5 on my 1.67 GHz Power Book Power PC G4 with 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM. I got this FCP DVD from a buddy of mine and have installed it using serial box.

To make my story short, after downloading a few upgrades and updates from Apple, My FCP 5 which was behaving fine for a while started acting a bit dodgy. First, I started getting that window asking me if I want to register my FCP online so I can get the latest updates and support but I'd always tick the box..I'll register later and FCP 5 would start up and work fine but last night it didn't. After the initial set up for a new project on what external drive I'll use for scratch disk purposes FCP would just stop launching. I kept clicking on the icon but it just would not go any further. I right clicked FCP icon in the application folder ( which is weird by the way as my FCP is always located on my dock and it just disappeared) and initially found out that on the permission and ownership I am the one listed but when I checked the detail " system" was the one listed and not my name. I corrected it by listing myself in place of the system, re-boot my powerbook but FCP is still unresponsive. When I started getting the "registration message" did it indicate that I was only using a trial version? But it's weird if this is the case as I've had this application on my powerbook for over two years and rarely use it. Should I clean re-install FCP 5.0.4 to get it working again or should I just sign up for an Apple ID to get FCP 5 updates? I know that they'll probaly find out that my version is not genuine but I heard Apple doesn't really care not like microsoft for un-registered software. Is this true? any suggestions?

sorry this post is getting too long. thanks in advance