[GUIDE] Leopard on ATI SB700/S750 and AMD 780G

82 posts in this topic

For all intents and purpouses it should. We all have identical chipsets, our only differences are in the drives that we are using(DVD and HD). And maybe our GPUs, but i don't see as that would make a difference.

well guess what. Leo4All v4.1 WITHOUT any kexts added works great for me. I mean just FANTASTIC. It installed in ~40 mins, and then well here I am. The 888 audio worked great when selected in install. It boots fast and I don't need Chameleon because it is on a different hard drive (I just choose the right hard drive with the boot menu). Here is what I did in the BIOS (your BIOS may be different):

1. I updated to latest BIOS version
  2. I disabled Floppy Drive and Serial Drives (not required)
  3. in Main -> Storage Configuration I set it to AHCI (other option is IDE)
  4. And in Power->ACPI 2.0 Support to Enabled

I installed from a IDE DVD drive to sata hard drive. When I booted up from the disk I got a bunch of errors but apparently they were irrelevant. I attached a screenshot.

Now how to figure out how to upgrade to 10.5.7 successfully.

EDIT: forgot to mention, installed PCWIZ's Beta 9800GTX drives and they work great! Even with dual monitors.

post-421660-1247531048_thumb.png

well guess what. Leo4All v4.1 WITHOUT any kexts added works great for me. I mean just FANTASTIC. It installed in ~40 mins, and then well here I am. The 888 audio worked great when selected in install. It boots fast and I don't need Chameleon because it is on a different hard drive (I just choose the right hard drive with the boot menu). Here is what I did in the BIOS (your BIOS may be different):
  1. I updated to latest BIOS version
  2. I disabled Floppy Drive and Serial Drives (not required)
  3. in Main -> Storage Configuration I set it to AHCI (other option is IDE)
  4. And in Power->ACPI 2.0 Support to Enabled

I installed from a IDE DVD drive to sata hard drive. When I booted up from the disk I got a bunch of errors but apparently they were irrelevant. I attached a screenshot.

Now how to figure out how to upgrade to 10.5.7 successfully.

EDIT: forgot to mention, installed PCWIZ's Beta 9800GTX drives and they work great! Even with dual monitors.

Lol congratz hmm, i will try that know, but in ACPI i only have the option to S1 or S3.. i will try anyway

Good deal. I'll have to try that PCWIZ's Beta 9800GTX driver. I have my comp hooked up via S-Video to my Big screen TV, but it's not working. Works in vista, but no option to enable on mac. Perhaps that will solve that problem. And ya, about that 10.5.7 thing, i want to do that too, but i've been too afraid to try. I just know i'm gonna brick it and have to start all over. But i guess only one way to find out, and not the end of the world if i do have to re-install... And ya, audio worked for me out of the box too with leo4all... everything did actualy... Lawless is the one that i had to fix the audio on. I'm gonna do some research on that 10.5.7 update though, cuz i'd like to try it.

Well, i guess that i dont have any luck at all ;).

I tried with Leo4all 4.1.1 patching the ISO with the leo4allv4.1.1.ppf ,

Before hanging it shows a line saying "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" or something like that, i read in a forum this:

Here's something you can try if your system hangs on ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugIn:

This will simply delete the kernel extension - don't worry, if you need it later you can extract it from your install DVD using Pacifist.

Actually, if you need to delete any Kernel Extension that's preventing you from booting, you can use this information, just replace the obvious.

Boot..

When the Darwin Bootloader appears, press F8 repeatedly (or whatever you must do to make the prompt appear).

At the Darwin prompt, type -S (press enter)

A lot of information that may or may not mean anything to you passes by, then a prompt appears.

type:

Code:

/sbin/fsck -fy (press enter)

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext (press enter)

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMC.kext (press enter)

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext (press enter)

rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/* (press enter)

reboot (press enter)

When you see the Darwin Bootloader, press F8 repeatedly. (Again)

At the Darwin prompt, type -v (press enter)

See it boot fine without errors. Hopefully!

I tried this but if i write -S in darwin promp it doesnt show any other prompt where i can write the other things...

I'm stuck in this part :\

-> Trying now to delete ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext from the DVD , hope this work now :(

well I didn't patch the ISO and it worked for me. I also was able to update as I mentioned. What motherboard do you have? Did you set the Storage Configuration to AHCI? Try IDE if that didn't work. ACPI 2.0 (not related to S1 or S3) should be enabled. All diskettes and serial and parallel ports should be disabled.

well I didn't patch the ISO and it worked for me. I also was able to update as I mentioned. What motherboard do you have? Did you set the Storage Configuration to AHCI? Try IDE if that didn't work. ACPI 2.0 (not related to S1 or S3) should be enabled. All diskettes and serial and parallel ports should be disabled.

Hmm i forgot to disable the diskettes and serial and parallel ports, yes ACPI is enable for default i think:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/...D=1&LanID=0 ECS_buttom_03.gif Supports ACPI revision 3.0 specification"

I'm burning now another DVD, will try again... :S

Hmm i forgot to disable the diskettes and serial and parallel ports, yes ACPI is enable for default i think:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/...D=1&LanID=0 ECS_buttom_03.gif Supports ACPI revision 3.0 specification"

I'm burning now another DVD, will try again... :S

Leopard expects ACPI 2.0. When I have it disabled it says when I boot "Expected ACPI revision 0x14" 0x14 is hexadecimal for 20 which most likely means 2.0

Leopard expects ACPI 2.0. When I have it disabled it says when I boot "Expected ACPI revision 0x14" 0x14 is hexadecimal for 20 which most likely means 2.0

Hmm that shows me too but when I disable APIC mode but it gives me that an panic kernel i think if it is disabled.

Well one more DVD for trash.. the DVD with the kext deleted simple dont boot :(

Hmm that shows me too but when I disable APIC mode but it gives me that an panic kernel i think if it is disabled.

Well one more DVD for trash.. the DVD with the kext deleted simple dont boot :D

You could removed that problematic kext before you burn the disc.

Just remember, no matter how many DVDs you use it is cheaper than actually buying a mac... :(

You could removed that problematic kext before you burn the disc.

Just remember, no matter how many DVDs you use it is cheaper than actually buying a mac... :(

Well i know... I deleted the kext with MagicIso and save in a new ISO file, then burned the ISO now its non-bootable, with TransMac it only saves in dmg and if i mount it in MagicDisc it gives me an error...

I really dont know what i can do to make that DVD bootable with the kext deleted :\

Well i know... I deleted the kext with MagicIso and save in a new ISO file, then burned the ISO now its non-bootable, with TransMac it only saves in dmg and if i mount it in MagicDisc it gives me an error...

I really dont know what i can do to make that DVD bootable with the kext deleted :\

You should delete the kext in TransMac (remember to enabled hidden files) then close TransMac and burn it with ImgBurn

You should delete the kext in TransMac (remember to enabled hidden files) then close TransMac and burn it with ImgBurn

Exactly what i did :\ but i really wanna try first in Vmware, but dmg image files dont work... guess that i have to burn another DVD

ImgBurn supports dmg files?

Ops, nevermind, i release that transmac edits the ISO in real time, no need to create an dmg image

Can't you browse the drive in TransMac and look at the logs? You might need to google for where the logs are located because I don't know.

on a different distro I had this problem. You might want to consider the final XxX release, many people have had success because that one also worked in my VM, it just didn't boot as quickly as Leo4All.

Good luck.

Can't you browse the drive in TransMac and look at the logs? You might need to google for where the logs are located because I don't know.

on a different distro I had this problem. You might want to consider the final XxX release, many people have had success because that one also worked in my VM, it just didn't boot as quickly as Leo4All.

Good luck.

I'm trying to search for the logs now ;)

• 3 months later...

So... here i am again x) , i quited of trying in July, but now i bought a new GPU and i tried again, after a lot of more reading about the installation i finally managed to install Leopard.

I used the Lawless version 10.5.4 patched with the SB700 kexts, it took about 15 minutes do complete the installation, almost works out of the box, the wireless USB, ethernet are working but the sound not, i will try to find now the kext for ALC888, my new gpu HD4870 i think that 4850 drivers are working.

Well, you can put in this list ECS A780GM-M :unsure:

How did you patch the DVD? I have been unsuccessful in patching the DVD.

Also, what kexts did you use?

You might want to try these kexts for audio: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=17508

Well, i used transmac and i patched the DVD with this kexts http://www.esnips.com/web/nicholasblocksStuff (i also copied the file "Extensions" included in that download)

After that all run very smooth, installation took 15 minutes... and almost worked without external kexts like i said.

I already have sound working and my GPU have QE, QG and CI working at 1680x1050, i even can run some games ehehe.

I wish you luck if you're trying to patch.

Great, that is what I thought I needed to do, but no reason to waste another DVD. I will try that on Friday when my new DVD drive comes (my current one just died) :).

Do you have a SATA or IDE hard drive? Do you have a SATA or IDE DVD drive?

If this works, I will update the first post.

It is funny that now that we are finally getting this to work, Snow Leopard is out!