• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Larry Flynt

Larry Flynt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all, I'm looking for a bit of help, and hope someone here might be able to see what it is I'm doing wrong. I've been playing around with a few different incarnations of OS X :

1) iATKOS 5i - installed the easiest, but I never could get DVD playback to work.
2) XXX 10.5.6 - DVD playback worked, but wasn't very smooth. Took forever to find right combo in configuration to run.
3) iPC 10.5.6 - After XXX, this one was relatively a breeze to get going. And DVD playback worked great!

Having settled on iPC, mostly because it worked the best out of the three versions I tried, I of course went to doing online updates. Having been warned by previous posts about updates, I did all the available updates *other* than the 10.5.7. All went in fine without issue. Of course the moment I tried doing the official update, I hosed my install. Not a problem I thought, I wrote down all the settings I used for the install (a lesson learnt the hard way let me tell you!), got everything back up and going to the same point again, but this time I tried the iDeneb 10.5.7 update, thinking it would do the trick.

Same result, hosed Inspiron :thumbsup_anim:

I suspect the issue is one of the options I've chosen on install, or one I've not selected. However, reading the release notes of these 'unofficial' releases, I'm a little confused as to what I might be doing wrong, especially when it comes to SMBIOS/EFI options.

From reading various posts here and other sites, not to mention almost an entire weekend of install attempts, I came up with these configuration options for the Inspiron 2200 that I installed with (I'm also sharing them so other possible Inspiron users might be able to save themselves a few hours of pain from my efforts :thumbsup_anim:)

Kernel
-9.5.0 Voodoo

Drivers
-Video Drivers
--Intel
---Intel GMA900

-Chipset Support
--LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA

-Audio Drivers
--Other Audio Drivers
---AC97 Audio

-Wireless Drivers
--Broadcom Driver

-USB Drivers
--Patched USB Drivers

-Power Management
--AppleACPIBatteryManager

-Fixes And Patches
--ACPI Fix
--CPUS=1
--Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5
--UUID Error Fix
--PS/2 Device Support
---PS/2 Keyboard Fix

Having got these written down now, I don't mind having to reinstall OS X if I mess it up. But I would like to be up to date, and that means figuring out how to get 10.5.7 in. When I did the iDeneb update, I just rebooted once the install was done. Was there something else I needed to do before rebooting? Was the update attempt doomed before I even began it, because I missed something during the initial install? I appreciate any help or tips people might have. Thanks!

L.F

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
Here's my complete "10.5.8 on Dell Inspiron 2200 package & guide" (scroll down a bit on that page) for this lil close-to-perfect HackBook (4.5MB) :)

EDIT 2012-05-06: reuploaded & refreshed link

Allcoast

Allcoast

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
I cant seem to be able to open this file, from this link you sent.

Allcoast

Allcoast

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Hey all, I'm looking for a bit of help, and hope someone here might be able to see what it is I'm doing wrong. I've been playing around with a few different incarnations of OS X :

1) iATKOS 5i - installed the easiest, but I never could get DVD playback to work.
2) XXX 10.5.6 - DVD playback worked, but wasn't very smooth. Took forever to find right combo in configuration to run.
3) iPC 10.5.6 - After XXX, this one was relatively a breeze to get going. And DVD playback worked great!

Having settled on iPC, mostly because it worked the best out of the three versions I tried, I of course went to doing online updates. Having been warned by previous posts about updates, I did all the available updates *other* than the 10.5.7. All went in fine without issue. Of course the moment I tried doing the official update, I hosed my install. Not a problem I thought, I wrote down all the settings I used for the install (a lesson learnt the hard way let me tell you!), got everything back up and going to the same point again, but this time I tried the iDeneb 10.5.7 update, thinking it would do the trick.

Same result, hosed Inspiron :wacko:

I suspect the issue is one of the options I've chosen on install, or one I've not selected. However, reading the release notes of these 'unofficial' releases, I'm a little confused as to what I might be doing wrong, especially when it comes to SMBIOS/EFI options.

From reading various posts here and other sites, not to mention almost an entire weekend of install attempts, I came up with these configuration options for the Inspiron 2200 that I installed with (I'm also sharing them so other possible Inspiron users might be able to save themselves a few hours of pain from my efforts :) )

Kernel
-9.5.0 Voodoo

Drivers
-Video Drivers
--Intel
---Intel GMA900

-Chipset Support
--LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA

-Audio Drivers
--Other Audio Drivers
---AC97 Audio

-Wireless Drivers
--Broadcom Driver

-USB Drivers
--Patched USB Drivers

-Power Management
--AppleACPIBatteryManager

-Fixes And Patches
--ACPI Fix
--CPUS=1
--Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5
--UUID Error Fix
--PS/2 Device Support
---PS/2 Keyboard Fix

Having got these written down now, I don't mind having to reinstall OS X if I mess it up. But I would like to be up to date, and that means figuring out how to get 10.5.7 in. When I did the iDeneb update, I just rebooted once the install was done. Was there something else I needed to do before rebooting? Was the update attempt doomed before I even began it, because I missed something during the initial install? I appreciate any help or tips people might have. Thanks!

L.F

I have tried to get this to even start to load, but it hangs to a blue screen and does nothing else. Any ideas what i might try?

newbie2mac

newbie2mac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I cant seem to be able to open this file, from this link you sent.

Me neither... Anyone have this for re-linking?

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
link updated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy