Cannot get Jmicron to work

16 posts in this topic

I have an Asus p5ql-cm motherboard with G43 chipset. Leopard mainly works OK, but I cannot get JMicron IDE-RAID controller to work. I have a 640 GB SATA on which I installed Leopard, and another 250 GB IDE HDD on JMicron, and OS X just don't see it. I tried, well, every driver I have found here, but still nothing.

Constructive advices are welcome. :censored2:

You should state which drivers you have tried and what were the results with each, and also what exact model (pci device id) of JMicron you have. Its very strange because JMicron is well supported...

Yes, I know it's very strange. I've tried every driver I have found on this forum. Controller is Jmicron JMB368 (PCIE-TO-SATAII/IDE RAID controller). ICH10 works fine, all 6 SATA ports are recognized. I installed OS X from iPC 1.5.6., and I tried installing it couple of times with different options, first selecting Jmicron drivers, and the other time Jmicron legacy, but it doesn't work. Where I can look for a exact device ID? I do not have windows installed.

Try install this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=36067 with kexthelper (before installing backup and delete the original IOATAFamily.kext in /System/Library/Extensions) and reboot with -v -f

Good Luck Giorgio

Yes, I know it's very strange. I've tried every driver I have found on this forum. Controller is Jmicron JMB368 (PCIE-TO-SATAII/IDE RAID controller). ICH10 works fine, all 6 SATA ports are recognized. I installed OS X from iPC 1.5.6., and I tried installing it couple of times with different options, first selecting Jmicron drivers, and the other time Jmicron legacy, but it doesn't work. Where I can look for a exact device ID? I do not have windows installed.

JMB368 is 100% supported, it works with vanilla JMicronATA.kext (you would need to edit info.plist to add 0x2368197b device id) or with slashack's 4Gb-RAM-safe modded version from darwin-ata.

You said Jmicron IDE RAID, maybe you are running it in RAID mode? Single drives might be supported (with a different kext) but not RAID arrays, see this thread for more info.

You can get device id installing PCI Utils (from OSX86Tools for instance) and then using the terminal command "lspci -nn"

Try install this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=36067 with kexthelper (before installing backup and delete the original IOATAFamily.kext in /System/Library/Extensions) and reboot with -v -f

Good Luck Giorgio

Finally! Thank you very much Giorgio, it works like a charm! :( Thanks to evereyone for helping me. I'm just wondering: did I missed the right drivers in the installation process?

Finally! Thank you very much Giorgio, it works like a charm! :( Thanks to evereyone for helping me. I'm just wondering: did I missed the right drivers in the installation process?

No, you haven't missed: the kext that I posted is modified for your Jmicron controller.

Giorgio

No, you haven't missed: the kext that I posted is modified for your Jmicron controller.

Giorgio

Well, I started to celebrate too early: once I restarted the computer, my ATA HDD disappeared. So, I'm back on the beginning. I tried to remove drivers, and to install them again, but nothing. Also, I removed all of the earlier .kext files for Jmicron that I have installed. What am I doing wrong?

Well, I started to celebrate too early: once I restarted the computer, my ATA HDD disappeared. So, I'm back on the beginning. I tried to remove drivers, and to install them again, but nothing. Also, I removed all of the earlier .kext files for Jmicron that I have installed. What am I doing wrong?

Try to boot with -f flag (with the kext posted installed)

Giorgio

The kext posted is a modded AppleVIAATA with device ids from other hardware which I think doesnt even have your device id.

Try posting an "lspci -nn" dump (installing PCI Utils from OSX86Tools).

In any case I would try using the real JMicronATA kext instead of the modded AppleVIAATA posted, you may get better performance and stability and less chances of losing the controller on a system update.

Also if you have more than 4 GB of RAM you need the patched kext to avoid kernel panics (see sticky thread)

The kext posted is a modded AppleVIAATA with device ids from other hardware which I think doesnt even have your device id.

Try posting an "lspci -nn" dump (installing PCI Utils from OSX86Tools).

In any case I would try using the real JMicronATA kext instead of the modded AppleVIAATA posted, you may get better performance and stability and less chances of losing the controller on a system update.

Also if you have more than 4 GB of RAM you need the patched kext to avoid kernel panics (see sticky thread)

I have 4 GB of RAM. PCI utils reads this about Jmicron:

03:00.0 IDE interface [0101]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMB368 IDE controller [197b:2368]

And, off-topic, is this audio device supported? I'm currently using SB Live, because I didn't found any drivers for this HD audio: 00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:3a3e]

Thanks!

I have 4 GB of RAM. PCI utils reads this about Jmicron:

03:00.0 IDE interface [0101]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMB368 IDE controller [197b:2368]

And, off-topic, is this audio device supported? I'm currently using SB Live, because I didn't found any drivers for this HD audio: 00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:3a3e]

Thanks!

Try the 4GB patched JMicron kext mentioned in this thread or this other one if you use AHCI mode.

This problem of mine is totally driving me nuts. I have successfully installed 10.5.7 update, but my Jmicron still doesn't work. Let my try to explain once again: all SATA ports are on ICH10 controller, and work out-of-the-box. In the BIOS, I selected AHCI mode. Also, regarding my Jmicron controller, I have an option in the BIOS to enable/disable it. So, it is a separate device, i guess. I have one 250 GB WesternDigital IDE disk connected to it. Can anyone tell me what precisely I should do to make it work? Which combination of drivers will work for me? Should I delete some of the .kexts? I tried every possible driver I have found here, but with no success. Eventually, it worked for a while with .kext that Giorgio posted, but just until I restarted the computer. In the 'about this mac' menu, I can see (with some of Jmicron drivers installed) when I click on ATA that there are two IDE ports, but on neither one i don't see my HDD. I bet it's something really simple that I'm missing, but I just can't see what.

Anybody?