Dual Booting Vista and OS X

Kesava

10 posts in this topic

I just got Kalyway 10.5.2 OS X and am running Vista. Last time I had it installed I ended up stuffing up something and having to reformat totally so this time I'm going to make sure I do it right as well as using separate hard drives.

The first thing I need to know is, when I dual boot, what bootloader is going to be installed? I mean by default will OS X take over? I don't really mind if it does, except if I delete the partition that OS X is on at some point in time, will that stuff up Vista and I will have to mess around with everything to get it working again?

If I do just install it with everything as default, will the OS X bootloader be installed and what if I then remove the hard drive that OS X is on? Would Vista not work because the OS X bootloader wont work properly?

I'm not really sure what to expect.

To summarize all that,

1. Will the OS X bootloader take over?

2. Will Vista only work if the OS X hard drive is connected if it is using the OS X bootloader?

3. Could I just install EasyBCD or something and use that?

Also, The hard drive that I am installing it on has 2 partitions. A 415Gb one full of movies and a 50Gb one for OS X.

Will installing OS X mess with my movies at all? I mean I can't see why it would, but I really don't want to lose all of them.

Last time I installed this I just reformatted my whole hard drive and did a fresh OS X install so it was alot less complicated.

Thanks for your help :rolleyes:

New problem. I have tried burning 2 RW dvds and each one has failed giving me this error:

Untitled-3.jpg

Now both of them are unusable. I managed to erase one but the other I can't...

Should I try burning the iso to a normal dvd instead of a Rewritable?

The other other thing I can think of is that the iso itself is corrupt... which would really suck because it took me 2 weeks to download... my internet is horribly slow.

Yes you should try using a normal DVD-R.

Also what hardware are you using? Since I don't have this information I will assume you are running OS X via a patched kernel without EFI emulation.

After you install the operating system it will not take over or change the Windows MBR at all. It's not like Linux Grub in that respect. Now the easiest way to dual boot would be to add a chain0 file to the root of your Windows drive. (ex. C:\chain0) You can find this file from the OS X dvd. You will have to enable viewing of hidden files and navigate to "usr/standalone/i386". Alternatively, you can download the file here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Chain0 . After you place the file in the root of your windows drive, download and install EasyBCD. Fire up EasyBCD. Click Add or Remove entries on the left bar. Select Mac OS X from the tabs. Change the platform to Generic x86 hardware. Change the name to whatever you like. Click Add Entry. After you finish, cross your fingers and restart and select Mac OS X from the Windows boot menu. If you receive any errors, post them here.

Good luck!

Also what hardware are you using? Since I don't have this information I will assume you are running OS X via a patched kernel without EFI emulation.

After you install the operating system it will not take over or change the Windows MBR at all. It's not like Linux Grub in that respect. Now the easiest way to dual boot would be to add a chain0 file to the root of your Windows drive. (ex. C:\chain0) You can find this file from the OS X dvd. You will have to enable viewing of hidden files and navigate to "usr/standalone/i386". Alternatively, you can download the file here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Chain0 . After you place the file in the root of your windows drive, download and install EasyBCD. Fire up EasyBCD. Click Add or Remove entries on the left bar. Select Mac OS X from the tabs. Change the platform to Generic x86 hardware. Change the name to whatever you like. Click Add Entry. After you finish, cross your fingers and restart and select Mac OS X from the Windows boot menu.

Intel Q6600 Processor

Gigabyte P31-DS3L Motherboard

XFX 8800GT Graphics Card

Generic 4Gb 800mhz Ram

I haven't changed anything since I last had OS X installed, except I added 4Gb of ram. So if it worked fine then, it should be ok now right? I'm installing Kalyway again.

If I install OS X and don't change anything.. what will happen? what happens by default if I don't install EasyBCD?

Anyway I'll install it tonight and do all that and hopefully it will all work out.

Once I have installed it will it ask what OS I want to select when the computer starts up?

And if thats the case then why would I need to use EasyBCD? Or will OS X not be recognized until I add the entry in EasyBCD?

Thanks for your help :)

Oh No... I tried a normal dvd. Usually the Rewritables get to 100% and then get the error. This recordable froze up on 0% and gave the same error. I don't know what to do. There is no way I'm gonna download it again because it takes way too long. Unless there is a solution I'm gonna give up.

Any ideas?

Try restoring it to a thumbdrive if you have a drive big enough. If not it's either the dvd drive, the dvd disc, or the particular ISO you are using. How did you go about burning the iso?

Once I have installed it will it ask what OS I want to select when the computer starts up?

And if thats the case then why would I need to use EasyBCD? Or will OS X not be recognized until I add the entry in EasyBCD?

No it wont ask you which OS you want to select.

Yes you should try using a normal DVD-R.

After you install the operating system it will not take over or change the Windows MBR at all. It's not like Linux Grub in that respect. Now the easiest way to dual boot would be to add a chain0 file to the root of your Windows drive. (ex. C:\chain0) You can find this file from the OS X dvd. You will have to enable viewing of hidden files and navigate to "usr/standalone/i386". Alternatively, you can download the file here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Chain0 . After you place the file in the root of your windows drive, download and install EasyBCD. Fire up EasyBCD. Click Add or Remove entries on the left bar. Select Mac OS X from the tabs. Change the platform to Generic x86 hardware. Change the name to whatever you like. Click Add Entry. After you finish, cross your fingers and restart and select Mac OS X from the Windows boot menu. If you receive any errors, post them here.

Good luck!

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I came across your post while searching for material on dual booting vista with osx. Only today did I install my first OSX86 on an external (Kalyway 10.5.2 patched with JMicron patch - needed the JMicron patch due to using IDE dvd drive on my Abit AB9 QuadGT).  The install went fine but of course there was no sign of a way to boot to the system.  Your method of using BCD and chain0 worked a charm and I now have a multiboot system (XP/Vista/OSX).  Everything working fine except my Zyxel wifi dongle (G-202). I've got a driver from their site but doesn't seem to work as I can't see my router which is annoying (the router is in another room and I've no cables long enough). Ah well I'll keep working at it.

So erm.. Thanks a million!

MI

Try restoring it to a thumbdrive if you have a drive big enough. If not it's either the dvd drive, the dvd disc, or the particular ISO you are using. How did you go about burning the iso?

No it wont ask you which OS you want to select.

Sorry what do you mean restore? Like copy all the files from inside the iso to a thumbdrive? I have a 4Gb and 8Gb one so size wont be a problem... will it install from a flash drive?

I tried opening the iso with winrar so I could view the files and there were only 2 there. A text file and a file called cdboot.pcefi.debug.

The iso says its the right size... but even with hidden files set to show it only comes up with them. The iso is stuffed isnt it?

None of the dvd's would open. When I put them in the computer would start freezing up while it tried to open it... wouldnt even load the right click menu for the dvd. I'm not sure how the torrent could go so wrong.

But anyway I give up. It will take too long to re-download it.

Thanks heaps for all your help though :)