iDeneb OSX86 10.5.5 working on Compaq nc4200

juleso

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

The system has Windows XP on partition HD(0,1) and OSX installed from iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 on partition HD(0,2). I use the Chain0 method to boot into the Darwin/x86 boot menu options. If I boot directly from the HD I get 'Still waiting for root device' or waiting on <dict id="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string id="1">IOService</string><key>BSD Name</key><string id="2">disk0s1</string></dict> if I boot the DVD's kernel using rd=disk0s2 then I can boot OSX and can even write this post ;~)

Can anyone tell me how to boot off the HD without the DVD? Spec below

p.s. for Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG owners you may get an answer here http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

Cheers

Compaq nc4200

Host bridge : Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller

VGA compatible controller : Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller

PCI bridge : Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1

PCI bridge : Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 2

PCI bridge : Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge

Multimedia audio controller : Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller

ISA bridge : Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge

IDE interface : Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller

Network controller : Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection

CardBus bridge : Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller

Mass storage controller : Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller

Host controller : Texas Instruments PCI6411/6421/6611/6621/7411/7421/7611/7621 Secure Digital Controller

Communication controller : Texas Instruments PCI6411/6421/6611/6621/7411/7421/7611/7621 Smart Card Controller

Ethernet controller : Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express

Update: No replies - no worries. :D Worked it out din't I...

The boot device wasn't being recognised. I found a .kext for my IDE controller ICH6 Family (IDE interface : Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller ) called IOATAFamily.kext and used Kext Helper to install it.

Download IOATAFamily.kext_V1.1.zip here http://www.mediafire.com/?mdy7yi1u9aj

So now I get a little further in my HD boot. I get as far as the desktop appearing but no mouse and no icons.

Will try and find the error message that points to the solution.

Jules

Update:

I installed HFSExplorer and extracted the System.log - lowlights shown below - one curious thing I found after searching for sandbox_init error was a dongle user for the VGA...we'll see

System Log low lights

Feb 12 21:34:39 localhost kernel[0]: npvhash=4095

Feb 12 21:34:38 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: ** /dev/rdisk0s2

Feb 12 21:34:38 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Feb 12 21:34:39 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist

Feb 12 21:34:39 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd): Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight

Feb 12 21:34:40 localhost kernel[0]: Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

Feb 12 21:34:40 localhost kernel[0]: Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

Feb 12 21:34:40 localhost kernel[0]: MAC Framework successfully initialized

Feb 12 21:34:40 localhost kernel[0]: Extension "com.apple.driver.ApplePCIConfigurator" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

Feb 12 21:34:40 localhost kernel[0]: Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

Feb 12 21:34:48 localhost kernel[0]: C054: family specific matching fails

Feb 12 21:34:48 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

Feb 12 21:34:48 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

Feb 12 21:34:51 localhost kernel[0]: C054: family specific matching fails

Feb 12 21:34:51 localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[19]: Login Window Application Started

Feb 12 21:34:52 localhost kernel[0]: C054: family specific matching fails

Feb 12 21:34:52 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

Feb 12 21:34:53 localhost kernel[0]: C054: match category IOFramebuffer existsdisplay: match category IOFramebuffer exists

Feb 12 21:35:04 jules-os-macpro31 mDNSResponder[18]: WARNING: sandbox_init error

Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.bsd.dirhelper err=1100

Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.distributed_notifications.2 err=1100

Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.ocspd err=1100

Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper err=1100

Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.SecurityServer err=1100

Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.SystemConfiguration.configd er

Update: Ta Da! Got it all working!

The answer to the blue screen issue was to install ElliottAppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler.kext. MercurySquad explains what to do here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1003372 .

So in a nutshell iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 onto Compaq nc4200 that's already running XP goes like this.

1. Create a new Primary partition on the hard drive (it has to be a Primary drive for the OSX installer to acknowledge it's install ability)

2. Copy the chain0 file http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Chain0 to C:\ on the XP root and add C:\chain0="Mac OS X86" to boot.ini (below the [operating systems] line) also in C:\

3. Boot from the iDeneb disk and use the Disk Utility to create a HFS Journaled partition

4. Customise your install with the OSX86 Tools and the AC'97 Sound Card driver

5. Install OSX86 to the Partition

6. Boot the OSX86 install using the iDeneb disk by pressing F8 during start up and enter rd=disk0,2 at the boot promtp - you should get the OSX desktop

7. Use OSX86 Tools to install the mach_kernel from the iDeneb disk to the laptop hard drive

8. Remove the installed IOATAFamily.kext that came with the iDeneb install (Move to Trash) and use OSX86 Tools to install IOATAFamily.kext from http://www.mediafire.com/?mdy7yi1u9aj

9. Use OSX86 Tools to install ElliottAppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler.kext from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=40555

10. Use OSX86 Tools to install AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=40556

11. Move Extension.mkext from System/Library to the Trash

12. Use Disk Utility to repair permissions on the disk - Reboot OSX

13. At the XP boot options select Mac OS X86, at the Darwin Boot loader select the 0,2 partition

14. OSX86 should boot

15. Plug in the Ethernet cable download and install iwiDarwin from http://iwidarwin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/...0.5/iwi2200.dmg

16. Reboot OSX86

17. Download the iPhone SDK, write that killer app everybody wants, stop working for the man...

:unsure:

jules - now for the uplift to 10.5.6

p.s. thanks to Lotus49 for his/her help

So..after trying to get round problems with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement following the updater I binned that idea and dl'd iDeneb 1.4. I didn't have anything on the Mac partition so flattening it was no problem (erasing it).

Only needed to reinstate ioatafamily.kext and seatbelt.kext and install iwiDarwin2200 (which works but I have to set the network each boot) and hey presto MacOSX 10.5.6 on nc4200.

Jules

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
6. Boot the OSX86 install using the iDeneb disk by pressing F8 during start up and enter rd=disk0,2 at the boot promtp - you should get the OSX desktop

Hey,

Thanks for this guide.

I got a compaq nc4200, too, so i try what you wrote and i was able to install but the next step doesnt work... i dont kno what i'm donig wrong.

When to press F8? at the Darwin Dialog??

I can choose between my two partions with the arrow keys ( hd(0,1) Windows NTFS , hd(0,2) macosx86 [i call it this way in the dialog of disk utility] )

i tried typing " rd=disk0,2" and "rd=hd(0,2)" but only see the grey apple screen and after sometime a sign like this appears th_K2865020.jpg over the apple.

if i type "-v" in the darwin dialog, after some code only appears "Still waiting for root device",

repeating every 30 sec.....

13. At the XP boot options select Mac OS X86, at the Darwin Boot loader select the 0,2 partition

14. OSX86 should boot

I did everything till here. worked fine so far.

But i got a problem here. At first the Darwin Boot loader appears so i can select the disk0s2 partition directly or i choose the windows partition then see the windows bootloader choose macosx and see the darwin boot loader again... makes no difference

when i choos to load the mac osx it loads the gray screen with the apple appears, after some loading time it switches to a blue screen (where usually the cursor appears) and STUCKS... the hard drive is doing nothing aswell.

if i get the code with "-v" its the same... works good till the bluescreen then stops.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

excuse me, after a thousand times i tried to install ideneb on my nc4200,

i could make it all work, except:

1. sdcard reader (texas instrument): cant read any multimedia card

2. infrared, i dont know how to make it working... never explained

3. quick launch presentation button, other are work (raise and reduce volume)

please help!!

i need it for reading my card (sdcard)..

thanks for advance

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the exact same laptop as you, but I cant get the wireless (2200BG) to work!

I'm also using ideneb 1.3.

lspci detects the wifi card OK, but in "Network" in System preferences, it appears as Ethernet. How did you get around this?

Also, are you able to play MP3s OK? They're very choppy for me, so I cant listen to them. Strangely, videos play pretty much fine. The video is perfect but every once in a while it might slow down because of the audio. I just pause the movie and unpause and it works fine again.

Other than that, everything works perfect! :D

• 1 month later...

Has anyone got this working 100% on Snow Leopard? I have it mostly working with Hazards 10.6.2 and I also tried iPortable X86 but it just kinda seems a bit unstable sometimes. I also cant get wireless working. Is there an updated kext?

whoah! awesome! I cant booting to snow leo universal to nc4200. know why?

thanks

What error are you getting when you boot with -v?

I was getting a KP woith ElliotForceLegactRTC until I added a dsdt.aml to my system.

I still have problems with the clock though, so I dont think the RTC is working. It also takes me about 5 tries to install anything!

If you want, I did up a guide on my blog here that you can follow:

HP NC4200 hackintosh Snow Leopard

• 3 weeks later...