Latitude D620 Install Guide

Dombo

6 posts in this topic

Ok now dont be too harsh this is my first time touching any sort of Mac OS. So I have a Dell Latitude D620 and I wanted to put OS X on it because I do some intensive Web Design. So I currently have a fully functional OS X install on my Latitude which has a Sigmatel 9200, Wireless RTL8187SE, Display Intel 945GM.

These are the steps I followed.

I hope I help

Installing Mac OS X on non-apple hardware is quite a challenge and has been nicknamed the ‘hackint0sh’. The largest supplier of computers in the world, Dell ships a model of laptop called the Latitude D620. I am lucky enough to own one of these machines and I most certainly love it. However converting the D620 into a full blown Hackint0sh with full device functionality is quite a challenge. So I decided to write a guide instructing you how.

The first process is getting a basic install of OS X on your Dell Latitude. I personally used Leo4Allv3 to install because I had heard the best news about that particular image. So here is a step-by-step guide on installation to HDD with Leo4Allv3 including how to burn the Image to a DVD.

• Extract the .rar named V3-Final.Part01.rar, this will in turn extract all the part files into one .iso.
  • Burn the .iso to a DVD-R at the slowest speed possible.
  • Insert the DVD-R into the machine you wish to install OS X onto.
  • Boot from the DVD into OS X. If you get an error saying SAM Multimedia: Read or Write failed then you need to re-burn the image and make sure the disc is completely clean.
  • Once you have booted up agree to all the licensing jazz and open up the Disk Utility from the Utilities drop down menu.
  • Right click on your HDD and hit ‘Erase’ then select form the drop down Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then change the ‘name’ to ‘Leopard’ then hit erase.
  • Quit the disk utility and proceed to select your hard drive from the installer.
  • Hit install and let it run through then reboot.
  • Upon reboot if you return the error ‘Still waiting for root device’ then you need to boot back into the DVD, under the Utilities Drop Down select terminal and issue these commands in order,

cp -pr /Volumes/Leo4allv3/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA* /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/.’(Replace Leo4Allv3 with the Disc name)

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA*’

‘chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA*’

‘rm -rf /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions.*’

• Now reboot and run through the basic setup options then you should be within a fully functional OS X install on a Dell Latitude D620.

Now it is time to make this truly functional.

The first problem I ran into was that animations etc. were rather choppy this seriously deducted from the {censored}-ness of my new OS X Install so I did some research and found that the Dual Core CPU was the major problem so I have a simple fix.

• Navigate to /Volumes/Leopard/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
  • Then proceed to edit com.apple.Boot.plist with BBEdit. If you are prompted for a CD key use “BEE850-DCK4E-DFGH9-BJ4DU”.
  • Edit the file so that under “<key>Kernel Flags</key>” there is “<string>cpus=1 -v</string>” instead of “<string>-v</string>”

This will make for an all round queerer and resource hungry but better looking operating experience. If you want you can also disable Multi Core Support in the BIOS.

The second problem was the battery. After a default installation of Leo4Allv3-10.5.2 the battery countdown was neither enabled in the menu bar and when it was it did not show the correct information. So here are the steps I took to fix that.

• Attached to the bottom of this is a file called PowerManagement.bundle
  • You need to grab this folder and place it on your desktop of your Dell Latitude D620.
  • Now first you need to open up finder and navigate to /System/Library/SystemConfiguration
  • Then copy the existing PowerManagement.bundle into a folder called Backup on your desktop.
  • Now open up terminal and type in these commands in order.

sudo –su (then enter your password as prompted)

cd /Users

ls (then you should see a username for example mine was “domhutton”)

cp –pr /Users/(the username you just found)/Desktop/PowerManagement.bundle /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/

• Now simply issue the reboot command and hey presto you have fully functional battery meter.

The next problem was I wanted that cool two-finger scrolling that I have grown to love within my Linux environment so here is what I did to fix that.

• Download the 2Finger Scroll package.
  • Extract the 2Finger Scroll package to your desktop.
  • Then run the ALPS GlidePad package, this will install the driver and FFScroll.
  • Then copy over the attached com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist to these locations ‘/Users/[Your Username]/Library/Preferences’, ‘/Library/Preferences’

Sound was also another problem however the lovely Dell Post Installer dealt with that on my model. All that was necessary was to navigate to Audio then select Sigmatel 9200 and then we had full audio support.

The Intel 3945 a/b/g does not work to this date. Hopefully the developers will do something about this soon. So far they have done a great job however.

The Ethernet varies so greatly, I have a BCM57xx that xx really annoys me so I just tried the driver with the highest success rate. But to no avail.

So in desperate need of some sort of connectivity I went digging, 2 months ago I replaced the RTL8187SE in my Eee with an Atheros based card so I could achieve full injection so I swapped the 3945 for the RTL8187SE and installed the drivers and now have fully functional wireless.

So just so you know. In the .zip attached to this thread there is the drivers for fully functional two finger scroll, battery support, wireless and sound. I hope you enjoyed.

I am currently working on getting the ethernet, media buttons and lid sleep working.

Help would be appreciated however I expect to have them finished fairly soon.

Credits: keithpk, devilhood, jrp, sziggle, deamobile, ranova.

OK I am currently having problems uploading my 22MB zip anywhere.

PM Me and I will use my gMail to send it your way.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

Thx for your explainations, I've also a 620 and i'm trying to install a full operational OSX On it,

Currently what's works at 100%

*Dual core , with speed step management

*standby mode when closing the laptop or shutdowning the PC thanks to TSCsync kernel 5.6 (need to have bios password enabled !)

What's 80 % operational

*1 finger scroll ; but it's not sufficiently accurate for me and i've never founds the good parameter

* Sound , but I've not the mute and speaker sound remain with headphones

* Graphics with QE enabled, still remain some artefacts on Office, itunes...

what's not operational

PCMCIA

I'm looking for a fully operational sounds (speker mute when pluging headphones) can you detail how did you did it because Dell post installer 1.3 didn't work for me B)

If you need something or information...

• 1 year later...

Just to help those that find this page...

D620 D630

http://osx86sv.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/os...ude-d630c-d630/

"

oday I am sharing a tutorial on how to install OS X 10.6 on a DELL Latitude D630C / D630

Stuff you need

You’ll need to purchase OS X 10.6 at your local Apple store then you need to acquire the following distro “Mac OS X Snow Leopard Universal v3.5″ please do ask where to get it, you know where to find it anyways.

Download this ..:: FILE ::.. indispensable for D630 and 630C.

Download Bootloader2 to boot your installation disk and your new HD install.

Lets install Snow Leopard!

1. Partition your USB drive or pen drive to have two GUID partition (if you are going to use this as main drive) or one partition if you already have a disk for the install and this will only be your install drive.

2. Install Bootloader2 on both partitions, move the boot file from my folder to your partition/s. It is an hidden file so oyu might want to use terminal mv "location of my boot file" "root of your partition/s"

3. Using Windows or Disk Utility on OSX, restore the ISO in one of your partition which you selected as install partition.

5. Boot your D630 or D63C from USB and follow the OS X onscreen instruction.

6. When you see a Customize button on the bottom right, click on it and select every single kexts and deselect the snow bootloader since you already have Bootloader2.

7. The installation will finish and you are ready to boot into Snow and repair permissions.

8. Proceed to Software Update and get 10.6.1 without any trouble!

NOTE

Should something go wrong, hit tab at start up and boot with -v for verbose, this will tell you what’s stopping you from booting.

If you are still having trouble, I made a package to help out further but requires a running version of OSX either 10.5 or 10.6, this is what you will do from that computer. Plug your USB with the installed 10.6 and move the contents of Extensions into your Extra/Extensions from the root of the disk. Next, move the contents of Kext into your System/Library/Extensions. Then open Disk Utility, right click on your disk and get your unique ID aka UUID, copy this large number and paste it in two places:

smbios.plist under the field “UUID-GOES-HERE!”

Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Lastly copy Kext Utility into your desktop, drop the Extra folder on the Kext Utility icon.

Do the same with your System/Library/Extensions folder.

This last step will create 2 brand spanking new Extensions.mkext

"

------------------------------------

and from the 10.6.0 HCL...

"Latitude D620

Install Method: Chameleon rc3 & Netkas - you may use above 630 GUIDE or search D620630SL.iso from leppy700m (by the way - thanks great work!!)

Version : 10.6.1 - Kernel 10.0.0 - Chameleon RC3 / Netkas 10.5 Bootloader (Also Boot321 works as long as you have al kexts!))

Installed kexts in E/E: AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext AppleIntelGMA950.kext AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext ApplePS2Controller.kext AppleRTC.kext Disabler.kext fakesmc.kext HDEFEnabler.kext IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext IOATAFamily.kext IOAudioFamily.kext IOGraphicsFamily.kext IONetworkingFamily.kext legacySTAC9205.kext Natit.kext NullCPUPowerManagement.kext NVkush.kext OpenHaltRestart.kext OSvKernDSPLib.kext PlatformUUID.kext VoodooBattery.kext VoodooHDA.kext VoodooPS2Controller.kext VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext VoodooPS2Mouse.kext VoodooTSCSync.kext

CPU: Dual Core OOB

Graphic card: Works out of the box but 32bit only (--> means also kextcache i368 & bootflags correctly!!)

LAN : OOB

Keyboard/Trackpad/Multimedia front key : OOB

Sound : OOB

Wireless : Intel Not working!!! Dell/Broadcom works OOB

Bluetooth : OOB

Power management : Restart, Shutdown - OOB

Battery Icon - OOB

"

• 2 months later...

By the way.. OOB means Out of the box.. not out of beer .. reason i say this.. retail guide on these is not fun.

out of box means no special tweaking needed.. obiously whoever did that hcl submission was not out of beer :P

however im working on this DSDT for GMA 950 with T2400 and i got it to run sweet video so far in 10.5.8

but im reworking dsdt and compared to xps1530.. it seems very similar :D stay tuned

• 2 months later...

I have a D620. I did a vanilla install of 10.5.2 with Chameleon 2.0 RC4 and then updated to 10.5.8 and installed fakesmc2.5

When my system boots into OS X, the system stutters. The system stops responding for a couple of seconds every couple of seconds. Makes the system unusable. Anyone know how to fix this problem?

• 10 months later...
I have a D620. I did a vanilla install of 10.5.2 with Chameleon 2.0 RC4 and then updated to 10.5.8 and installed fakesmc2.5

When my system boots into OS X, the system stutters. The system stops responding for a couple of seconds every couple of seconds. Makes the system unusable. Anyone know how to fix this problem?

HPET, RTC irq's

voodoTScsynch.kext needed. im working on D620 right now.and apparently it needs it. osxlatitude.com