Loading a .dmg crashes OS X

mattyribbo

36 posts in this topic

OK, got a working OS X running on my acer aspire 5315, version 10.5.6

Problem is, every time I load a mountable dmg file, it says mounting... the screen scroll dims, then freezes and crashes.

Any suggestions why this is happening, or how to fix it?

EDIT: OK after looking around, I found http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;#entry1045768 - only thing now is to get a copy of seatbelt.kext - If anyone has a copy they can post without me extracting it that would be helpful.

On the acer aspire 5315's you should be able to get 10.5.6 working so vanilla that you dont have to worry about mixing kexts and using old kernels and seatbelt.kext. I've got two 5315's here which I upgrade willy nilly from 10.5.1 to 10.5.x (including 10.5.6 combo update) and nothing gets broken (apart from needing to delete the dont steal mac osx kext, and changing a version number in ps2nub's Info.plist). If you want more details let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here on iPC Leopard 10.5.6., Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0. Tried to replace the seatbelt.kext from 10.5 and didn't work.

Curious thing is: only the new .dmgs I download crashes (via firefox or safari).

.dmgs downloaded from windows (ie or firefox) runs perfectly.

That's the way I found to keep the system working.

Same problem here on iPC Leopard 10.5.6., Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0. Tried to replace the seatbelt.kext from 10.5 and didn't work.

Curious thing is: only the new .dmgs I download crashes (via firefox or safari).

.dmgs downloaded from windows (ie or firefox) runs perfectly.

That's the way I found to keep the system working.

Yup, got the same thing. But I found that if I redirect the dmg download to IGetter, the file will be mounted OK. Strange...... FYI, I also already replaced the seatbelt.kext....

• 1 month later...

Hey...i have an acer 5315 as well and i am absolutely going nuts on trying to get ipc 10.5.6 running on it

I am at a loss...is there a step by step instruction on what things to tick in the list so it can actually fire this up ?

i have got it working on a mates gigabyte desktop but on my 5315...i would really apreciate a step by step guide on ticking the right things.

Any help please ?

Anybody ??

i am going crazy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's definitely something very strange with the Voodoo kernel. I'm experiencing the same thing here with 9.6.0. There's no problem if I fetch the dmg in Ubuntu and then mount it afterward. But if I grabbed it natively, diskimage-helper will crash. I don't have this problem with the vanilla kernel on my laptop. Unfortunately, my EVGA X58 doesn't allow me to use vanilla.

• 5 months later...

I would give it a second go around. Place the seatbelt.kext (that you downloaded) on to your desktop.

Open Terminal and type (pressing enter after each line):

sudo -s
cd /System/Library/
cp -r ~/Desktop/seatbelt.kext Extensions/
chmod -R 755 Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel Extensions/
touch Extensions/
rm -Rf Extensions.mkext
diskutil repairpermissions /

*Reboot with -v -f

Also do me a favor. Open terminal and type:

uname -a

Post what it says

[Darwin brian-PC.home 9.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Tue Mar 31 22:52:17 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.12.14~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

]