Whitelist BIOS for DV2000 / DV2710US

10 posts in this topic

I have read quite a few forum posts and i must say thank all of you for all of your efforts on white listing wireless cards. I have struggled with this issue for a while. I worked in it while i was in Iraq and bricked my laptop but was fortunate enough to be able to use the Crisis Recovery Disk successfully. :) I have not focused on the issue lately because i use Linux and just remove the card on boot, and reinsert it while holding at the GRUB menu. I am back in the states and I am curious that bios versions have been fixed. My laptop supports the following:

1.) F.24 Released: 05-2008

2.) F.16 Released: 03-2008

3.) F.15 Released: 02-2008

4.) F.14 Released: 01-2008

5.) F.13 Released: 11-2007

One of the questions i have is in regards to the serialization of the BIOS's. If someone fixes a bios release of F.16 for their DV8300(made up), since a bios revision of F.16 is available for my laptop, are they the same BIOS?

Have any of these BIOS's successfully been fixed either by disabling the white list or by inserting the new id's in the list? If not, I will volunteer my laptop to science and will try anything you can come up with. I am not sure which version of the Phoenix BIOS Editor I was using at the time. It was Dec of 2007.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a DV2839TX Special Edition, and also need to remove the whitelist, or add IDs for a new card to it.. The Phoenix BIOS Editor i used (2.100 i think, or something) didnt seem to extract my BIOS properly.. i was attempting to use F.2D (latest for my machine) BIOS.

Ok, got the BIOS extracted (using Phoenix BIOS Editor 2.2.0.1) but with some errors. But, searching the extracted files (MOD_5100.ROM in particular) I stumbled across the list of whitelisted IDs. Right now, im not confident in editing the file, rebuilding the image, and flashing, since it extracted with errors in the first place.. But this is a step forward. I can atleast see what devices are whitelisted. When i manage to extract the BIOS without errors, ill edit, rebuild, and flash.

So i modded up a BIOS image, flashed it, and bricked my laptop. I was able to recover though,BUT my laptop didnt support the Win+B or FN+B trick for the Crisis Recovery Disk.

So ill explain what i personally had to do:

1) prepare the Crisis Recovery Disk with the BIOS you want to flash back (original unedited BIOS).

2) Obtain a method to use the floppy on your laptop (I used a USB Floppy Disk Drive)

3) Remove the battery and AC power from the laptop

4) HOLD DOWN the power button on the laptop, insert the AC power cable (still holding the power button)

5) In a few seconds the Power light on the laptop should start blinking.

6) Release the power button

7) Plug in USB Floppy Disk Drive and insert Crisis Recovery Disk

8) Press the power button once.

9) The laptop should now start reading from the floppy disk, and beep VERY LOUDLY while it flashes the BIOS..

10) After a while, the beeping will seem to stop.. DONT TOUCH ANYHING.. It will start beeping like mad again shortly.

11) Once the BIOS has finished flashing, the laptop will power off.

12) Unplug USB Floppy Disk Drive, and boot as normal, with your recovered BIOS

Next steps are optional..

13) Boot your OS

14) Fiddle with your BIOS whitelist again

15) Flash the BIOS with this new modded BIOS Image.

16) Goto Step 1. (Or hopefully, you wont have to.)

• 1 month later...

Hi Wishie,

I have a dv2630ea laptop, i have tried your method with different versions of pflash and different bios revisions from hp but i cannot make the laptop come back to life, it reads the disk from the usb floppy fine, and it makes about 5 minutes of loud bleeps but it never powers down and i cannot get a display from the machine on reboot, any ideas what i am doing wrong?

thanks Ben.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Wishie, How are you getting on with your whitelist mission? I am attempting to use an Apple Wireless N 300M in my Compaq Presario F500. So far I have managed to use Pheonix Bios Editor and with WinHex found the ROM with the whitelist. I found the ven id, dev id & subsys id of the card I know works,got it from device properties. The dev id was the same for the apple card but I changed dev id and packed the bios back together. Flashed my bios and on restart I got 104 error with the card that once worked, which suggests that I am editing in the correct place but my apple card still gives 104 error. Do i also have to edit subsys id? i dont know subsys for apple card only driver rev and radio rev id's. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions :D

Please

Hi Wishie, trenw2323 and all. I now have an Apple Wireless N 300M fully functional in my Compaq Presario. I can now, with confidence, edit bios whitelist and flash bios. Thanks to the entire osx86 community for any help and tips.

If you need any help I am here for you. I intend writing a tutorial on how I done it. :(

I have read a few tutorials but the bios editor still does not work for any of my bios's. There is a new tool out that fixes the checksum but i am not sure if it works. Is that what you used Zakaryya? Sorry for the long delay in a response. I thought i had my profile setup to email me when this thread was responded to. I just happened to find it when i was still searching for a solution.