Errors during reinstallation

midsummerain

1 post in this topic

I may as well have bought a Dell, with the amount of issues I've had with my macbook.

For some reason, my macbook decided to randomly start telling me I needed to restart my computer, so I decided it was time to re-install everything. Disc 1 went fine, but it keeps spitting disc 2 out at me, telling me, "There were errors installing the software, Please try installing again."

Under the "Show Errors Only" tab, the installer log says "BomFatalError - cpio read error: bad file format" and "Install failed: Some files for iWork Trial may not have been written correctly." This is quite annoying because, afaik, I don't use iWork, never have, probably never will, and I don't care about writing iWork files!

I am pretty mac-illiterate, and what I've found on the internet about this problem applies to other programs or tells me to log in under the administrator name to do blah blah blah. Except that ... I don't know how to log in? It never finished reinstalling. So I'd appreciate any help that can be given laid out similarly to how one would teach their 6th grade child. :\