[SOLVED] Can't resize/repartition in Disk Utility: "No space left on device"

Lt. Xenodite

1 post in this topic

This problem has been solved. I was able to partition while booted from the Leopard DVD after completely defragmenting with TechTool, and I have installed Linux :wacko:

So I'm trying to get my Macbook (early 2008, base model) set up for triple-booting Leopard, Linux, and Windows XP. I've been using Boot Camp for about a month or so, and yesterday I used Boot Camp Assistant to remove the XP partition and make the Leopard partition 100% of the drive. Fine. After that, I was following this guide, and installed rEFIt to be able to choose from three operating systems on boot (as Apple's included bootloader only lets you choose Leo and Windows). Immediately after that (without restarting, maybe I should have) I tried to partition using diskutil from Terminal, with the following command:

sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 60G "MS-DOS FAT32" "Linux" 30G "MS-DOS FAT32" "Windows" 21G

After going through Verifying, Resizing Volume, Adjusting Partitions, it finally giving me an error: "Resizing encountered error on disk disk0s2 Macintosh HD: No space left on device (28)", even though my drive is 120GB (around 111.8GiB) and I entered 60 + 30 + 21 GiB = 111 GiB. As per the above guide, I then tried:

sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 60G

The above command should resize my main volume to 60GiB and leave empty space after. It also fails the same way. I then tried doing it using Disk Utility, but it gave me the same error. (Keep in mind that I am in Leopard during all this). I then attempt to restart, to see if maybe rEFIt changed something. I could not restart, due to my Mac not finding a boot drive (flashing folder with question mark). After a while of troubleshooting, I finally burned a rEFIt emergency CD and booted. I selected something like "Repair boot record" and restarted, which got rid of the flashing folder problem, but gave me "Error loading operating system". I booted from the rEFIt CD again and selected "Boot from hard drive", which finally got me to boot Leopard. I went yet again into Terminal and tried a repairDisk, but I don't think that worked (since I was running off the internal drive). I booted from my Leopard CD and opened Disk Utility and tried: repairing the disk, repairing permissions, and partitioning. Repairing didn't find any errors, but partitioning gave me the same error as before, even though it is impossible to partition more than available in Disk Utility. I am currently sitting in Terminal, running off my Leopard CD, trying to figure out how to fix this. I have tried searching Google to no avail :blink:

Anyone have any idea on how to fix this? I could even do a reinstall if necessary, since I have a backup (good old Time Machine).

Summary:

Can boot from drive after booting rEFIt CD.

Can boot from Leopard CD.

Error when trying to partition.

Goal: make 3 partitions.

Thanks much!

Josh

Update:

If I choose my boot partition as the Startup Disk while booted from the Leopard DVD and let it restart, it boots successfully. If I try to restart after that, I get "Error loading operating system" again.

Right now I am in Leopard off the hard drive, backing up and seeing if getting rid of rEFIt works (by renaming the EFI folder). After this I shall restart, see if that last error goes away, then try using iDefrag, as I have heard that might work so I can partition.

Edit: successful boot by choosing Macintosh HD as Startup Disk and renaming EFI folder. No more "Error loading operating system"!