Attention Logic Geeks! - Freebie!

-JD-

3 posts in this topic

Right,

Im asking for a favour from anyone who knows a bit about Logic... I'm doing my university dissertation on the Logic environment, and have made (with my dissertation partner) an environment which will allow any MIDI capable hardware controller work with Logic so the user can automate up to 16 audio and 16 instrument tracks (there will be more...it's a work in progress).

It's a little complicated and i havent written up a manual yet but if you know a bit about the environment you should be ok.

Basically, if you don't have a hardware controller, you can still test it - i have set up a 4 channel virtual mixer within the environment so it can be used without having to hook up any gear.

All you have to do is open up the logic project which i will attach here, set the desired track's automation status to MIDI, arm the same track in the arrange window and (if you're using the virtual mixer) just hit record on the transport and have a play with the virtual mixer faders. When you play back, it should re-create your fader movements on both the logic track mixer and the virtual mixer. If you're using external hardware, the easiest thing to do is to set your fader's controller data to the following: Fader 1 - MIDI Channel 1: Controller 7, Fader 2 - MIDI Channel 2: Controller 7, Fader 3 - MIDI Channel 3:Controller 7 etc etc until you have run out of faders. This is a bit of a pain i know, but i will at some point include instructions on how to tailor the environment to your specific mixer (it takes about 5 mins).

Here's the interesting bit:

The environment allows input from a MIDI keyboard to change the banks and type of channel (instrument/audio). If you don't have a MIDI keyboard, again a virtual one is included in the environment and in the mixer windows. To use the bank switching, the bottom C key on the keyboard selects Bank 1 (Audio/Instrument tracks 1-8) and the D key next to it selects Bank 2 (Audio/Instrument tracks 9-16). To use the Audio/Instrument switching, the top C key on the keyboard selects Audio tracks, and the top D key selects Instrument tracks. These will only select the different type of track for the bank you are on so you have to be careful when youre changing stuff!!.

I have laid out a few screensets to make stuff easier to see and play with, so here's a list:

Screenset 1 (num key 1) - the full controller environment

Screenset 2 (num key 2) - the audio mixer environment

Screenset 3 (num key 3) - controller and mixer environments vertically side by side

Screenset 4 (num key 4) - controller and mixer environments horizontally on top of one another

Screenset 5 (num key 5) - arrange window

The environment should work on all versions of logic from v5.5 upwards, but in any express versions you won't be able to edit anything and it may not work fully (havent tested it in express yet).

This environment will retail at about £30-50 when it is fully finished and compiled so this is a good chance for you to get your hands on a freebie :poster_oops:

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and if you have any problems/questions PM me :2cents:

Here's the yousendit link to download the environment (the link's only valid for 7 days from now so please be quick!):

http://s59.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2EMTLAG...M706R7T9GCVJTWG

Cheers guys,

-JD-

You know, I've not really played much with Environment feature of Logic... Though I do plan to one day set it so I can control parameters using the knobs and faders of my Evolution Mk-461c keyboard...

It all looks a bit too complicated for for what I do right now. /me heads off to read his logic manual...

You know, I've not really played much with Environment feature of Logic... Though I do plan to one day set it so I can control parameters using the knobs and faders of my Evolution Mk-461c keyboard...

It all looks a bit too complicated for for what I do right now. /me heads off to read his logic manual...

Bloodline, the best thing to do is just play with it. If you have a good sense of Logic (the thought process, not the sequencer), youll be able to work it out in no time. That's how the sequencer got its name :blink:

-JD-