Matrox G200/G450 MMS Quad for OSx86

nextech

5 posts in this topic

We need Quad monitor support in OSx86 (We're currently running 12 displays using 3 Matrox G200MMS Quad graphics cards in our workstations). Most workstations have 2 or 3 Matrox G200 MMS Quad graphics cards, and others have 2 or 3 Matrox G450 MMS Quad graphics cards. We would really like to install OSx86 on our machines, but the only problem we have is we need the Quad monitor support for the Matrox G200 MMS Quad graphics card (and possibly the G450 MMS Quad graphics card as well).

Is there any way to add support for the Matrox G200 MMS Quad graphics card and Matrox G450 MMS Quad to the OSx86 software? We have been wanting to get rid of Microsoft Windows, and switch over to OS X, but our only problem is support for the Matrox G200 MMS Quad graphics cards in OSx86. The two graphics cards we use (for trading platforms) are the Matrox G200 MMS Quad, and the Matrox G450 MMS Quad. Is there any way to add support for these graphics cards into OSx86? [We have drivers for Windows XP, Server 2003, but there seems to be no support for OSx86] Is there any way to add support for these graphics cards (Matrox G200 MMS Quad and Matrox G450 MMS Quad) into OSx86?

Thank-you for all that you do!

Yes, but the point is many of the traders are Mac users (have iPhones, and Mac Books) and we have really been wanting to switch our trading platforms over to OS X. Is there any way to add support for the Matrox G200 MMS Quad and G450 MMS Quad to OSx86? How hard would it be to add support for these two graphics cards to the OSx86? The whole point of this was that we were trying to switch over to OS X on our personal trading platforms/workstations, but we need support for the Matrox Quad graphics cards (specifically the Matrox G200 MMS Quad, and Matrox G450 MMS Quad graphics cards). How hard would it be to add support for these graphics cards into the OSx86 project?

Since Matrox doesn't have drivers for OS X and Apple doesn't support them either, it isn't going to happen.

There is no "porting" of drivers from linux in this case either.

The linux drivers are proprietary closed source binaries by Matrox.

I wouldn't mind getting my APVe cards working in OS X, but again, it just ain't going to happen.

Your better off getting a more than 2 multidisplay card/setup that is supported by OS X.

Start here for some ideas: http://www.glennwolsey.com/2007/05/23/top-...lay-mac-setups/

If you just need insane monitor space....

Cheap NVidia cards work wonders.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5nq5it&s=4

yeah, I can hook a 6th monitor up as well, just ran out of desk space.

My recomendation if you only need 4 monitors....

is an 8600GT or another dual capable PCIe card.... (or AGP card)

AND a 6200 PCI card....

that way, you don't rely on your bios letting you be able to run two PCIe cards.

By setting Bios primary display adapter to PCI or to PCIe, you change what card BIOS loads first, and you can also change that order with a slightly customised NVinject. Let me know if you need a copy of mine.

Now.... if you need 8 or 12 per machine.... things get tricky.

Its likely I could run 8 on mine if I had a 2nd 6200, but thats 4 slots eaten up for graphics cards, and sharing PCI bandwidth between two 6200's would cause performance on those monitors to drop some more....

There are a few ATI x2 cards that have all 4 DVI ports on them.... and I believe that they would likely work since people have gotten all 4 ports to show up on cards that only had 2 physical jacks.

Another, rather expensive option would be to use something like a Magma PCI expansion chassis, They have them for PCIe as well as PCI-X and regular PCI..... and it just shows up as another PCI bridge chip, so shouldn't cause any problems there.

If you've got slot space available though, 2 monitors per slot is certainly a whole lot cheaper than 4 per slot.....