Microsoft Wireless keyboard not properly recognized

dci693

1 post in this topic

OK, here's my issue: I have a Microsoft Wireless Desktop 1000 which connect via a single USB receiver. I recently redid my hackintosh setup, preserving my old hack's HD. The set was working great on my previous setup, and now it doesn't. Sorry this explanation is a bit long, but it just lists out all the troubleshooting I tried.

As soon as OSX boots up for the first time, I get the keyboard set up assistant. It says "The keyboard cannot be identified and will not be usable until it is identified." It then asks me to press the keys to the right and left of the two shift keys, and asks if I'm using a US layout. The keyboard is usable, but the special keys don't work. Even the volume control keys don't work. I thought that by installing the Microsoft Microsoft-Mouse-X-d203.dmg file, that would fix it, but it did not. The mouse got recognized properly as a Msft mouse, but the keyboard was not.

The USB receiver is recognized in System Profiler as connected via USB as Microsoft Wireless Desktop v2.1, with vendor ID 0x045e and device ID 0x009d, and it says version .41 (whatever that means). I looked at the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist file, and it listed two keyboards. One was 157-1118-0, and the other was 0-0-0. I then booted up with the old hack and I saw it also had 1056-1741-0, so I added that to the plist of the new hack, and rebooted. No difference.

I tried rebooting, then plugging into a different USB port, but no difference. I even tried the Msft Wireless Desktop 4000 I had, but with that set as well, then keyboard was not properly recognized! I then took a Logitech S510 I had. I installed the Logitech Control Center software, then rebooted. Sure enough, the keyboard was not recognized, but the mouse was! I could assign any function to any of the mouse buttons, but the keyboard was not recognized as a Logitech keyboard.

Here are some other interesting facts:

• on my old system, I was running 10.5.2, now I'm on 10.5.4
  • I set up my old system starting with a PS/2 Logitech set, then moved to the Microsoft USB

Any ideas on troubleshooting would be highly appreciated as this is now bugging me. Thanks!